Question battling microstutter

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Jul 5, 2021
Long story short, I used to have another gpu(EVGA 3070) before having the Rx 6800, and was having microstutter issues and I really thought it was the card but then I aquired an Rx 6800 reference model, and pluged that bad boy in my rig and continued having microstutters and was unable to play games and by watching the graphs I was able to see dips on clock speed and also on the fps, I have to say I have tried everything under the sun to be able to have a butter smooth gameplay I really enjoy playing my story mode games, I had no issues with esports like league or valorant or overwatch.

Full specs
Ryzen 7 3700x
AsRock Velocita B550 Phantom Gaming
G skill Trident Neo 16 gbs 2x8 @ 3600Mhz
Nvme Sk Hynix 500gb
HDD 2Tb Seagate Barracuda
Lian Li Gallahad 240
Evga Supernova 750W Platinum

Troubleshooting:
*Installed windows
*No daisy chain cables to GPU( 2Separate cables)
*Tried different drivers
*Tried undervolting
*Changed my Psu cougar bxm 850 bronze to the Supernova
*Updated Chipset drivers
*Updated Mobo Bios
*Set games high performance on windows/graphics tab
you name it.

But recently I tried setting this settings on the tuning tab on radeon settings for certain games
Max clocks 2550mhz
Min clocks 24450mhz
Vram 2112mhz
power +15
and I have tried several games and Im feeling a little bit more stable I need to continue testing but I´m kinda at the edge If I feel microstutters Im gonna be sad I have battled with this feeling since april this year and I have invested a lot on this computer. I used to play on a 55 inch tv 60hz and bought a 32 inch Msi monitor 1440p freesync. Again this is something I was experiencing with the 3070 as well, is there something broken? Now I was playing yesterday some SplitGate and had to set it to 2550 because with the automatic overclock or if I set it to 2300max and 2200min i had microstuttering now and then, Right now im like screw it, I know the max limit is 2600 but im leaving it at 2550 for most games and feeling some kind of stability to be honest and I dont want to drop more money on this computer.

Aug 20, 2021
I live in Panama (Latin America) it's a tropical paradise (as Florida) and the weather is pretty hot but when I play i have my a/c on so temps recorded with speccy are around 60 to 63 Celsius and gpu temp depend on the game and with the custom profile with aggressive fan curve is around 60 Celsius as well top 70°
So temps shouldnt be an issue also there is a setting called radeon boost in the radeon software make sure that is turned off as that can cause some stutters as well!

Jul 5, 2021
So temps shouldnt be an issue also there is a setting called radeon boost in the radeon software make sure that is turned off as that can cause some stutters as well!
Right now it is 12:30pm if you guys can please allow me to return home and provide more info to continue helping me I will really appreciate it. The situation is that I'm on the edge because another comment on the top says that I should change my cpu and well i thought this cpu was supposed to be enough paired with Rx 6800 to run 1440p games high-mid no shadows no anti aliasing. But what I got its a rig that run games with microstutter. I remember that when having the rtx 3070 at the beginning I never had this issues but then having some updated for the GPU and maybe windows update I started noticing the stutters. And well then changed the gpu and it continued. Then stopped playing on my 55 inch tv 60mhz and bought a 32 inch msi optix mag 32cqr monitor with free sync to see if I'm able to solve this and fix the stutter and it was still the same.

Aug 20, 2021
Right now it is 12:30pm if you guys can please allow me to return home and provide more info to continue helping me I will really appreciate it. The situation is that I'm on the edge because another comment on the top says that I should change my cpu and well i thought this cpu was supposed to be enough paired with Rx 6800 to run 1440p games high-mid no shadows no anti aliasing. But what I got its a rig that run games with microstutter. I remember that when having the rtx 3070 at the beginning I never had this issues but then having some updated for the GPU and maybe windows update I started noticing the stutters. And well then changed the gpu and it continued. Then stopped playing on my 55 inch tv 60mhz and bought a 32 inch msi optix mag 32cqr monitor with free sync to see if I'm able to solve this and fix the stutter and it was still the same.

Hey man sure ill help your through it and i gurantee you we will solve this problem
but rn its night time for me so g2g to sleep so will surely help you tommorow!

Reactions: ReverseLolo
Jul 5, 2021
Hey man sure ill help your through it and i gurantee you we will solve this problem
but rn its night time for me so g2g to sleep so will surely help you tommorow!
Thanks. Have a great night! And yeah I have been having this issue for around 6 months now and I'm about to give up and just live with this but that option kinda suck. (The investment fuels me)

Jul 5, 2021
Two suggestions.

Try installing the latest chipset drivers if you haven't already.
Try running a game from your SSD instead of the HHD and see if it's better.
Both of them already done. I think my bios need 1 update but with the bios I have right now they were the current bios at the time still had this issues that's why I'm adamant of updating them again. So yeah already tried games on my sk hynix Nvme 2.0 and also updated latest chipset drivers

Aug 20, 2021
Two suggestions.

Try installing the latest chipset drivers if you haven't already.
Try running a game from your SSD instead of the HHD and see if it's better.
Hey man I’m back from work. I read your last post and u said that this started happening after windows update so maybe hold down shift then click on restart>troubleshooting>uninstall windows update then uninstall windows quality and feature update

Jul 5, 2021
Hey man I’m back from work. I read your last post and u said that this started happening after windows update so maybe hold down shift then click on restart>troubleshooting>uninstall windows update then uninstall windows quality and feature update
I can't be sure tbh but i remember when having the 3070 at the beginning everything was ok. Then after some time the stutter began, and it has continued with the Rx 6800. What I did today is that I brought down from Xmp to manual 3200 then tried to run manual 3600 but PC crashed and I had to clear CMOS because I was not getting video. So I left the infinity fabric at 1600 and smt option off. And ram at 3200mhz it feels kinda like the same to be honest.

Jul 5, 2021

I wonder if I already lose my mind. Is it normal to have like that 1% that while playing maybe in some scenes it will microstutter? Gf tells me to chill it isn't big of a deal but. I can't just let it be because Im able to see it and feel it and it cripples the gameplay completely. I already memtest my rams and they were fine. Some guy at reddit told me to upgrade from 16 to 32 ram. And the only other 2 components I haven't changed is cpu and mobo.

Jul 5, 2021
Do you set a custom page file vs let Windows manage it ? I have seen that custom settings can cause stuttering in recent games like CoD.
Hi (morning! In my case XD) no I do not know how to set or view the page file or how it works at all! As stated before I have tried playing games on my SSD and HDD both having same results! So I brought down my ram speed manually yesterday to 3200 and set off the smt option (read somewhere else it has to be done) not using Xmp profile anymore.

Jul 5, 2021
any change with the lower ram speed ?
I wasn't feeling it. Set ram again to Xmp profile at 3600 my bro. Another question. Can you please direct me on that thing you were telling me yesterday about the page file and stuff because I haven't seen that but i have kinda read about it but never fully understood.maybe that could help a bit.

Aug 20, 2021
I wasn't feeling it. Set ram again to Xmp profile at 3600 my bro. Another question. Can you please direct me on that thing you were telling me yesterday about the page file and stuff because I haven't seen that but i have kinda read about it but never fully understood.maybe that could help a bit.
best bet is order new ram and use it if it fixes it keep it if it dosent return it. do the same with a new ssd

Haven’t read all of this thread just bits and pieces, but I’ve got a 6600xt. I was having some freezing etc. For me, I ended up changing the vbios switch on my card to silent, from the factory it was on an overclocked mode.

I did upgrade my power supply in the process of everything, but one thing that really seemed to help, in global settings turn the card to esports mode, then turn off everything extra, Radeon boost, all the extra enhancements like sharpening etc turn all of those off.

I’m on driver version 21.8.1, but when I turned off every setting except I did leave freesync enabled, my system is a lot more stable. Previously my pc would freeze up or it would restart sometimes. So I’d suggest trying that. If it works better you might then turn settings back on one at a time until the stuttering comes back then you’ll know why it’s happening.

Also I haven’t needed to do this, but if you ever watch tech yes city on YouTube, he was reviewing the 6600xt, and ended up that he undervolted the gpu, which I guess lowered temps, but be made a point about having graphical glitches, and that he increased the gpu power limit to 120% which helped his 6600xt.

Jul 5, 2021
Haven’t read all of this thread just bits and pieces, but I’ve got a 6600xt. I was having some freezing etc. For me, I ended up changing the vbios switch on my card to silent, from the factory it was on an overclocked mode.

I did upgrade my power supply in the process of everything, but one thing that really seemed to help, in global settings turn the card to esports mode, then turn off everything extra, Radeon boost, all the extra enhancements like sharpening etc turn all of those off.

I’m on driver version 21.8.1, but when I turned off every setting except I did leave freesync enabled, my system is a lot more stable. Previously my pc would freeze up or it would restart sometimes. So I’d suggest trying that. If it works better you might then turn settings back on one at a time until the stuttering comes back then you’ll know why it’s happening.

Also I haven’t needed to do this, but if you ever watch tech yes city on YouTube, he was reviewing the 6600xt, and ended up that he undervolted the gpu, which I guess lowered temps, but be made a point about having graphical glitches, and that he increased the gpu power limit to 120% which helped his 6600xt.
Thank you a lot for the information. May I ask how to i change the vbios I would like to try that?! Also the power limit on mine it's like a slider thingy and can be slide plus 15% more id love to try the vbios this is something I have never tried before

On my 6600xt, if you look towards the front of the card towards what would be the back of the case near the cards io, there is a physical switch, and print above it that told what mode it is on. I don’t know if your 6800 has that, I don’t think all of the 6600xt cards do, mine just happened to.

But I wonder if mine was not more to do with the sharpness settings etc in the driver software.

Jul 5, 2021
On my 6600xt, if you look towards the front of the card towards what would be the back of the case near the cards io, there is a physical switch, and print above it that told what mode it is on. I don’t know if your 6800 has that, I don’t think all of the 6600xt cards do, mine just happened to.

But I wonder if mine was not more to do with the sharpness settings etc in the driver software.
I see I must check I have a reference model

Jul 5, 2021
best bet is order new ram and use it if it fixes it keep it if it dosent return it. do the same with a new ssd

So its been a couple of months now, And I have changed almost all of my components from my pc having a totally new computer and Im still suffering from random microstutters, I´m still using my rams from my first Ryzen build (
G.Skill Trident Z NEO Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin SDRAM (PC4-28800) DDR4-3600 CL18-22-22-42 1.35V Dual Channel Desktop Memory Model F4-3600C18D-16GTZN
) Sorry I copy paste this from my buy again list of amazon just to include everything, Im not knowleadgeable at all with rams speeds or CL but Im able to se that my modules are CL 18 and some people say its better to have CL 16 I dont know.

Current Rig:
*Intel i7 10700k at 4.9
*Asus Rog Strix Z490 F
*Cpu Cooler Lian Li Gallahad 240
*Rams: already on top! Gskill trident Z neo 16gbs at 3600 with xmp 2 and CL18
*PSU: changed again from 750w to a 1000w EVGA gold rated GPU
*SSD1 NVME: SK hynix for my OS 500gb
*SSD2 NVME: Samsung Evo 970 plus 2TB for gaming
*OS: Windows 10 Ghost Spectre (tweaked windows for less telemetry and bloatware)
*GPU: EVGA Rtx 3080 FTW3 Ultra (yep third gpu in less than a year, Im crying here man)
*Monitor: MSI Optix Mag 321CQR 1440p 144hz 1MS (Currently running at 120hz testing to see if this helps... spoiler: it doesnt)

By July I was very busy with my job (Health insitution and with the pandemic everything was chaos) and was unable to fully immerse in the problem that I was trying to fix and got a little AFK from the forum, I want to apologize to everybody that stopped by and gave me their suggestions please believe me that I truly appreciate it and I have tried several things and maybe going back to square 1 and feeling hopeless but I still believe this can be resolved.

Currently I have been fiddling around a lot with Rivatuner standalone not the one bundled with Afterburner mainly because I have read that afterburner power reading causes stutter, I really dont think thats the situation but well, Im trying to keep the desktop as light as possible, again Im also using this Windows 10 ghost spectre version that fully eliminates bloatware and telemetry, this even come with some other windows services off a lot of them, coming back to rivatuner I have tried playing with Scanline Sync instead of limiting my fps 3 below the refresh rate, I have already tried setting my fps to for example if im using 144 to 141, or if im using 120 like now, i have tried 117, I have even tried entering the profile section of rivatuner and putting some decimals on the frames limit, for example my monitor refresh at the moment its of 119.995 according to blurbuster refresh rate (UFO Test: Refresh Rate (testufo.com) ) and I saw a video stating that with this decimals and substracting 0.008 (V-SYNC PERFECTO | No lag, no tirones, menos latencia y ESTABLE - YouTube ) the video is in spanish yes and sorry in advance, the guy tries to explain how to insert the values in decimals in rivatuner. I have tried using scanline sync to -170 on diferent games but I´m still not getting the results I want, Its really annoying because sometimes the picture on my monitor is really buttery smooth perfect. And then it starts to stutter a little, and kills my immersion, I have had problems with Halo infinite, Back 4 Blood, Guardians of the Galaxy, Riders Republic, Halo inifnite Campaign, ARK, several games but excluding games like League of legends, Fall Guys, Valorant, This 3 games run perfectly.

I have unplugged my USB 3.0 from my motherboard, There is no overclock on my gpu but fans are set at 70%, Cpu is at 4.9hz and max temps are around 70°
According to HWInfo no thermal throttle, Heck!! I have even used CRU (maybe incorrectly) and tried to maybe do something there in hopes to fix the stutters because I was able to see that when freeysnc is on my monitor kinda likes has a brightness flicker (not black screen) like if the light strobes a little and this is manifested on the frametime graph of rivatuner.
for some reason setting my parameters from 48-144 to 72-144 didnt felt better so I reverted the settings back.

Im also tweaking some other info on Nvidia control panel, right now having vsync on nvidia not inside the game itself. and some other options on. Im on my wits end I dont know what else to do and Im eyeballing 2 more items (CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD PFC SineWave UPS System, 1500VA/1000W, 12 Outlets, AVR, Mini Tower. And Gskkill Trident Z Neo 32 GB DDR4 3600 CL 16-19-19-39) Just by buying the ram my computer will be completely new. and Im including this ups to scratch if my wall outlet its bad.

To be honest Im done with spending money on this computer, is there anything else? I can do before buying this 2 components that sums the amount of 400$. I wish I could save this money.

Forgot to say that I also use Empty Standby List Cleaner. set to 1 minute to flush my cached Ram.

So its been a couple of months now, And I have changed almost all of my components from my pc having a totally new computer and Im still suffering from random microstutters, I´m still using my rams from my first Ryzen build (
G.Skill Trident Z NEO Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin SDRAM (PC4-28800) DDR4-3600 CL18-22-22-42 1.35V Dual Channel Desktop Memory Model F4-3600C18D-16GTZN
) Sorry I copy paste this from my buy again list of amazon just to include everything, Im not knowleadgeable at all with rams speeds or CL but Im able to se that my modules are CL 18 and some people say its better to have CL 16 I dont know.

Current Rig:
*Intel i7 10700k at 4.9
*Asus Rog Strix Z490 F
*Rams: already on top! Gskill trident Z neo 16gbs at 3600 with xmp 2 and CL18
*OS: Windows 10 Ghost Spectre (tweaked windows for less telemetry and bloatware)
*GPU: EVGA Rtx 3080 FTW3 Ultra (yep third gpu in less than a year, Im crying here man)
*Monitor: MSI Optix Mag 321CQR 1440p 144hz 1MS (Currently running at 120hz testing to see if this helps... spoiler: it doesnt)

By July I was very busy with my job (Health insitution and with the pandemic everything was chaos) and was unable to fully immerse in the problem that I was trying to fix and got a little AFK from the forum, I want to apologize to everybody that stopped by and gave me their suggestions please believe me that I truly appreciate it and I have tried several things and maybe going back to square 1 and feeling hopeless but I still believe this can be resolved.

Currently I have been fiddling around a lot with Rivatuner standalone not the one bundled with Afterburner mainly because I have read that afterburner power reading causes stutter, I really dont think thats the situation but well, Im trying to keep the desktop as light as possible, again Im also using this Windows 10 ghost spectre version that fully eliminates bloatware and telemetry, this even come with some other windows services off a lot of them, coming back to rivatuner I have tried playing with Scanline Sync instead of limiting my fps 3 below the refresh rate, I have already tried setting my fps to for example if im using 144 to 141, or if im using 120 like now, i have tried 117, I have even tried entering the profile section of rivatuner and putting some decimals on the frames limit, for example my monitor refresh at the moment its of 119.995 according to blurbuster refresh rate (UFO Test: Refresh Rate (testufo.com) ) and I saw a video stating that with this decimals and substracting 0.008 (V-SYNC PERFECTO | No lag, no tirones, menos latencia y ESTABLE - YouTube ) the video is in spanish yes and sorry in advance, the guy tries to explain how to insert the values in decimals in rivatuner. I have tried using scanline sync to -170 on diferent games but I´m still not getting the results I want, Its really annoying because sometimes the picture on my monitor is really buttery smooth perfect. And then it starts to stutter a little, and kills my immersion, I have had problems with Halo infinite, Back 4 Blood, Guardians of the Galaxy, Riders Republic, Halo inifnite Campaign, ARK, several games but excluding games like League of legends, Fall Guys, Valorant, This 3 games run perfectly.

I have unplugged my USB 3.0 from my motherboard, There is no overclock on my gpu but fans are set at 70%, Cpu is at 4.9hz and max temps are around 70°
According to HWInfo no thermal throttle, Heck!! I have even used CRU (maybe incorrectly) and tried to maybe do something there in hopes to fix the stutters because I was able to see that when freeysnc is on my monitor kinda likes has a brightness flicker (not black screen) like if the light strobes a little and this is manifested on the frametime graph of rivatuner.
for some reason setting my parameters from 48-144 to 72-144 didnt felt better so I reverted the settings back.

Im also tweaking some other info on Nvidia control panel, right now having vsync on nvidia not inside the game itself. and some other options on. Im on my wits end I dont know what else to do and Im eyeballing 2 more items (CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD PFC SineWave UPS System, 1500VA/1000W, 12 Outlets, AVR, Mini Tower. And Gskkill Trident Z Neo 32 GB DDR4 3600 CL 16-19-19-39) Just by buying the ram my computer will be completely new. and Im including this ups to scratch if my wall outlet its bad.

To be honest Im done with spending money on this computer, is there anything else? I can do before buying this 2 components that sums the amount of 400$. I wish I could save this money.

Forgot to say that I also use Empty Standby List Cleaner. set to 1 minute to flush my cached Ram.
You have been asked previously to run a userbenchmark and post the link to the results here. I don't see it. It might give an indication.

2 completely different PCs with microstutter with the common things being RAM, monitor and windows. My bet is on RAM but it can also be the monitor (less likely). Windows do get updated so it's not really common thing between the 2 systems.

I am curious if you used the same windows to the previous system (ghost spectre). It would be a good idea to try with vanilla windows.

Jul 5, 2021
You have been asked previously to run a userbenchmark and post the link to the results here. I don't see it. It might give an indication.

2 completely different PCs with microstutter with the common things being RAM, monitor and windows. My bet is on RAM but it can also be the monitor (less likely). Windows do get updated so it's not really common thing between the 2 systems.

I am curious if you used the same windows to the previous system (ghost spectre). It would be a good idea to try with vanilla windows.

Thank you for your reply! I will be posting as soon as I arrive home my userbenchmark results! please Im sorry if I didnt posted it before maybe I look over it and totally forgot to do it!, And yes with my previous system I tried window 10 home edition and also the ghost spectre, I will be posting the userbenchmark in a couple of hours and quote you with the links! please bear with me dont let this post die! and thank you so much! I also ordered from amazon a new dpi 1.4 cable brand Capshi, because im using the one that comes with the monitor. Also windows update is paused until 2050

Last edited:
Looking at the initial post, consider that your HDD may be the cause of occasional stutters.
When the game needs to load a texture, it may have to go to the HDD for it.
A ssd is some 40x faster in that regard.
It is easy to convert to a ssd .

If you are considering a cpu upgrade, 5600X would be good, but not nearly as good as 12th gen intel.
Yes, you would need a new motherboard also.
Run the cpu-z bench test and look at the single thread performance rating on your 3700X. It should be about 510.
5600x should be about 624, a nice boost.
But, if you want a significant bump, the 12600K would be about 773.
http://valid.x86.fr/bench/bhgfiz/1
12700K is 852 and 12900k is 981.

The 12400 processor due out soon has some performance leaks which indicates that single thread performance is going to be in the 12600k class without the extra threads.

Jul 5, 2021
Looking at the initial post, consider that your HDD may be the cause of occasional stutters.
When the game needs to load a texture, it may have to go to the HDD for it.
A ssd is some 40x faster in that regard.
It is easy to convert to a ssd .

If you are considering a cpu upgrade, 5600X would be good, but not nearly as good as 12th gen intel.
Yes, you would need a new motherboard also.
Run the cpu-z bench test and look at the single thread performance rating on your 3700X. It should be about 510.
5600x should be about 624, a nice boost.
But, if you want a significant bump, the 12600K would be about 773.
http://valid.x86.fr/bench/bhgfiz/1
12700K is 852 and 12900k is 981.

The 12400 processor due out soon has some performance leaks which indicates that single thread performance is going to be in the 12600k class without the extra threads.
I no longer have the HDD and now have 2 SSD 1 Sk Hynix 500gb for my OS and Samsung Evo 970 plus 2tb for my games! :D

I appreciate your answer, a lot! I recently updated my rig and changed from Ryzen to Intel and also changed my gpu from Rx 6800 to Rtx 3080, I posted all the details on my latest reply and some other info, but here it is just in case, thanks a lot!

Current Rig:
*Intel i7 10700k at 4.9
*Asus Rog Strix Z490 F
*Rams: Gskill trident Z neo 16gbs at 3600 with xmp 2 and CL18-22-22-42

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2021

Here is the userbenchmark result

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/48908872

it says something about my gpu and my new ssd that according to samsung magician its up to date.

and this is my speccy link too

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/XDmuaMFxeRvMqjjcEO4NAB2

EDIT: disabled freesync and on bios set nvme to x4 speed and this is the new result from userbenchmark

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/48910187

Last edited: