BBC, ARM, Others Giving micro:bit Board To UK Children For Free

Status
Not open for further replies.

mapesdhs

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2007
This board is not, in any way conceivable, a followup to the BBC Micro. Totally different environment back then. However, the idea is good I suppose, though perhaps they should release a single-chip Beeb aswell. Would be a laugh linking them up, and there's also a vast lib of sw & code for the Beeb, thousands of mags online & print. Allow youngsters to meddle with modern tech while crossing over with what came before. I talked to a guy who was annoyed that he'd missed the 80s home computer boom because he wasn't born until 1990.

Ian.

G

Most kids are going to play with it for five minutes then throw it away.

turkey3_scratch

Polypheme
Ambassador
I like it, there are certain children who this stuff would interest. Not everyone is one of those kids who pick their nose, put it into his or her mouth, and then say "this sucks I want a football". For instance, there is Scratch which introduces kids to programming, and you find people as young as 8 even or younger on there who have an interest in programming. I just feel that, why learn to program with this? There are better, more fun options already on the Internet.

mapesdhs

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2007
It's free, and if it can grab the attention of at least some of the young & bring them into the world of computing and electronics, then all the better. Worth a try. Especially in an age when everything is more black-box than ever before.

Ian.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ASK THE COMMUNITY