BBC, Channel 4 Say No Plans to Charge YouTube Users

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aoyagi

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2010
$2 a month is nothing if it removes the ad and featured content infestation, but I doubt something that good would come out of Google.

CrArC

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2006

The problem is where we draw the line. I have to admit I'm even considering the idea of $2 a month as appealing if it removed ALL ads and improved performance. But then we've just enabled a subscription model for a currently free website. It's a downhill slope. More and more premium channels as posters are attracted to the higher returns. More and more crap on the free side of things.

YouTube has no real competition so we'd be trusting Google's "not-quite-evil" attitude towards customers to mediate the process and prevent YouTube from being destroyed from the inside out. I'm not sure it's worth the risk.

Aoyagi

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2010

Well, Google would most likely have to regulate this. If they were not-that-evil, they would have an option to pay a small global subscription which would remove ads and add customization. Then again, I'm currently doing this with Extendtube and AdBlock+ so they probably get no money from me whatsoever. But if it turned bad, well, at least there would be room for a proper competition. Sadly, it would most likely be another untrustworthy company, like Microsoft, Apple or even Facebook.

It's all going to hell.

G

you'll be hard pressed to get people to pay a fee for something that's been free forever.

Status
Not open for further replies.