Question BBS not showing in bios on MSI pro z690-a

Sep 17, 2022
Hey, I just put together a new build - i7 12700k on msi pro z690-a and I'm having a few problems:
  1. I can't access boot menu. Pressing F11 doesn't work and the MSI "welcome" screen only blinks for a split second (all fastboots/msi fastboots disabled) even after resetting CMOS
  2. In the Boot settings in bios it won't show me real drives to choose priority for. It only lets me choose priority for types of devices like Hard drive, floppy etc. Edit: CSM (the option next to UEFI) doesn't help. It just displays more types of devices instead of actual drives for priority of booting.
I tried resetting CMOS twice and it didn't help. The drives are detected and all show up in system information.

I'd appreciate any help!

In the Boot settings in bios it won't show me real drives to choose priority for
they will need to be bootable to be selectable
do you have installed operating system?

if you have multiple drives and no OS installed yet, windows will install boot files on your first drive, even if you select to install windows on another drive
in bios you can see drive order here:
NpWDa7n.png

the only way to change boot drive is to disconnect other drives while installing windows, once windows installed, connect other drives back

Last edited:
Reactions: CountMike
Sep 17, 2022
they will need to be bootable to be selectable
do you have installed operating system?

if you have multiple drives and no OS installed yet, windows will install boot files on your first drive, even if you select to install windows on another drive
in bios you can see drive order here:
NpWDa7n.png

the only way to change boot drive is to disconnect other drives while installing windows, once windows installed, connect other drives back
I got to open the boot menu and the drive with Windows installed on it wouldn't show up. Nothing would show up tbf. As if I had no drives connected.
Can you point me to where the list in the screenshot is located?

Can you point me to where the list in the screenshot is located?
Show your BIOS screens first.
(upload to imgur.com and post link)
User manual of your board doesn't include any BIOS screens, so it's hard to suggest, where to look.

Generally you check Boot Priority settings and
Hard Drive BBS settings.

Since this is a new pc, then you'll have to reinstall windows.
If you try to reuse windows from some other pc, you'll have several issues:
boot mode compatibility - system doesn't boot,​
drivers incompatibilities - bsods, crashes, bad performance,​
windows activation issues - can not activate windows.​

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/how-to-do-clean-installation-windows-10,36160.html

picture i posted above shows boot order and drive list for his bios
if your drive is not listed in boot menu, then it doesnt have installed boot files
boot options:
uefi (csm disabled) - drive needs to be GPT - boot menu will show mostly just "windows boot manager" as long windows was installed when CSM was off
legacy (csm enabled) - drive MBR - boot menu will show all drives even non bootable
some bioses offer both legacy and uefi boot