Question BCD corrupted, cannot repair in Advanced Recovery Mode ?

Page 10 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Kyroix 74

Prominent
Jul 24, 2020
Finally booted to it holy, but it only booted when i changed my boot option to Legacy and UEFI. When i did just UEFI it didn’t boot to it. Why is that?

Kyroix 74

Prominent
Jul 24, 2020
The reason might be that you made the bootable drive for MBR instead of GPT. Clearly this is the reason.
Well i am now installing windows. So i’m relieved. I’ve in the process of installing it onto the Drive. I’ll tell you if it’s successful and thank all the others and you for all your help for this massive thread. Unfortunately it’s came to my last resort of reinstalling.

Kyroix 74

Prominent
Jul 24, 2020
Ok i need help hang on
The reason might be that you made the bootable drive for MBR instead of GPT. Clearly this is the reason.
Hang on, i need help. I’ve just downloaded the windows onto the drive and when it finished it booted back to my usb, because that’s first in the boot priority, isn’t it supposed to boot my newly created window i just made? How do i get to it

Kyroix 74

Prominent
Jul 24, 2020
You remove USB flash drive. Then it can't boot into USB.
Also just wondering but when i selected my drive it still said it had stuff on it, 830gb but 500 was left, does this mean the windows is still on it? Because was i supposed to like delete it or something before i reinstalled it or like

USAFRet

Titan
Mar 16, 2013
Also just wondering but when i selected my drive it still said it had stuff on it, 830gb but 500 was left, does this mean the windows is still on it? Because was i supposed to like delete it or something before i reinstalled it or like
Yes, you were supposed to delete ALL existing partitions on that drive.

As indicated in replies above, and the posted tutorial.

Kyroix 74

Prominent
Jul 24, 2020
Thanks all of you for helping out, especially SkyNetRising, thanks for sticking to this thread for ages, over 200 posts. Crazy. I’m just now installing everything Back. Big thanks to all of you, unfortunately had to reset the pc which was my last resort. But thanks for ur contributions to try a fix my pc. Appreciate you all

Kyroix 74

Prominent
Jul 24, 2020
Also a question, all the files from the windows.old folder, can i just paste into my new windows? What do i do with all the files in there. It includes my program files and everything.

USAFRet

Titan
Mar 16, 2013
Also a question, all the files from the windows.old folder, can i just paste into my new windows? What do i do with all the files in there. It includes my program files and everything.
If this were a full clean install, and you DELETED all existing partitions in the process....there would not be a "windows.old"

As requested by SNR....a screencap of your current Disk Management window.

can i just paste into my new windows?
We need to see what the actual outcome of this install was.
But No.

all the files from the windows.old folder, can i just paste into my new windows? What do i do with all the files in there. It includes my program files and everything.
Those are old windows files.
If you forgot to backup some of your user files, you can still find them there.
If you don't need them, then just delete windows.old folder. But be absolutely sure, that you don't need them before deleting.
And no - you can not copy program files from there. That will not work.
You have to reinstall all your apps.

ASK THE COMMUNITY