Kyroix 74

Prominent
Jul 24, 2020
Those are old windows files.
If you forgot to backup some of your user files, you can still find them there.
If you don't need them, then just delete windows.old folder. But be absolutely sure, that you don't need them before deleting.
And no - you can not copy program files from there. That will not work.
You have to reinstall all your apps.
Ok. That’s fine.

Kyroix 74

Prominent
Jul 24, 2020
That, plus the existence of windows.old, indicates you did NOT delete all existing partitions as suggested.
Oh, thought i did. Well, what should i do then, is it bad? Do i need to delete them? Also i wanna know how to make that 100GB unallocated space be put back into my C drive

USAFRet

Titan
Mar 16, 2013
Oh, thought i did. Well, what should i do then, is it bad? Do i need to delete them? Also i wanna know how to make that 100GB unallocated space be put back into my C drive
Since this is a brand new install, you'd lose nothing by doing it all over again.

In the above linked tutorial, look at Section II, Step 6 & 7.
That speaks to DELETING all existing partitions, and continuing with a completely blank drive.

Read that tutorial thoroughly.
Then read it again, and internalize all the steps.
Do what it says.

Reactions: Kyroix 74

Jacob 51

Upstanding
Dec 31, 2020
Also a question, all the files from the windows.old folder, can i just paste into my new windows? What do i do with all the files in there. It includes my program files and everything.
Don't copy everything. Just copy the files you need from Program files folders. The directX and visual C++ need to be reinstalled all over and the drivers. You can only copy your personal apps from there like chrome

Kyroix 74

Prominent
Jul 24, 2020
Yeh i’ve got everything up and running, all the apps are done, just a few more things and i’m back to where i was.

So once i’ve done everything can i just delete the windows.old folder?

Reactions: USAFRet

Jacob 51

Upstanding
Dec 31, 2020
Yeh i’ve got everything up and running, all the apps are done, just a few more things and i’m back to where i was.

So once i’ve done everything can i just delete the windows.old folder?
You'll Have Problems With Deleting it. Like "You Need Permission From Trusted Installer To Make Changes to This Folder".

ASK THE COMMUNITY