Question BCD corrupted, cannot repair in Advanced Recovery Mode ?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kyroix 74

Commendable
Jul 24, 2020
Hi, i recently did a Windows quality update and i got several pop ups after a reboot saying ‘We couldn’t complete the updates, undoing changes’. This kept coming up. But one time i booted up my pc and it did not start up, instead giving me the screen to the advanced repair mode. I did all the options in the troubleshoot section, nothing worked. I did the command prompt, and ran a couple commands including BCD. It appears my BCD is corrupted. So i did the BCD repair commands, but they didn’t work. So i was stuck.

I clicked "Continue to Windows", but didn’t go back to the same screen, instead the horrible ‘Your device/pc needs to be repaired’. And the 4 options to boot on the advanced recovery, BIOS, and 2 others i forgot. I tried pressing F1 which was the allocated button for booting into the Advanced recovery again, but it didn’t work instead yakking me back to the same screen.

So currently i am stuck on the repair screen, not able to do anything on it except use the button to go into BIOS, but i don’t think i can do anything in that to get into Windows. So i think, 99% my BCD being corrupted is what caused my Windows to not boot up. I need some help because Resetting the PC is my last resort. I hope this massive oarsgraph makes sense to you.

Here’s the photo for the commands you said up there. ^
Looks good. Extra system partition has been deleted.
Now execute following:
diskpart
list disk
select disk 0
list partition
select partition 1
(select 529MB partition)​
format fs=fat32 quick
assign letter=h
exit
bcdboot c:\windows /s h: /f uefi

Then go into BIOS and set up boot priority. First boot device has to be Windows Boot manager.
UEFI boot has to be enabled. Disable secure boot.

Reactions: Kyroix 74

Kyroix 74

Commendable
Jul 24, 2020
Now execute following:
diskpart
list disk
select disk 0
list partition
select partition 1
format fs=fat32 quick
assign letter=h
exit

Then go into BIOS and set up boot priority. First boot device has to be Windows Boot manager.
Ok so i did everything but when i did the bcdboot command it still says failure when attempting to copy boot files. Can i proceed to do the bios step or do i need to make the bcdboot command work first

Kyroix 74

Commendable
Jul 24, 2020
Now execute following:
diskpart
list disk
select disk 0
list partition
select partition 1
format fs=fat32 quick
assign letter=h
exit

Do you know why it says this and how to fix it?

Kyroix 74

Commendable
Jul 24, 2020
Can you show the photo of the error?
May be windows is on 230GB partition (not on 930GB partition).

Show also result of
dir C:\
dir D:\
https://ibb.co/whnN5dw
Sorry i turned off my computer after it but there. And i also did a semi colon instead of a colon after H but when i did it with a colon it came up with the same.

I am 100% sure the windows is installed on the 930GB. My HDD.

Here is the result of them commands;

C:\ https://ibb.co/zm70VFc Had to split into 2 images
https://ibb.co/KsBws1Z

D:\ https://ibb.co/M8LRjXX

Last edited:

Kyroix 74

Commendable
Jul 24, 2020
Can you show the photo of the error?
May be windows is on 230GB partition (not on 930GB partition).

Show also result of
dir C:\
dir D:\
Hey what time are you usually able to respond on here? Because i want this fixed before this week really badly, so tell me when you’re most active on here cuz i kinda wanna get this done (if it’s possible) .I’m going offline now but i’ll be back tomorrow and hopefully you know how to fix all this. Thanks

Sorry i turned off my computer after it but there. And i also did a semi colon instead of a colon after H but when i did it with a colon it came up with the same.
Letter H: has to be assigned to 529MB partition (every time after reboot).
I can see in your screenshot
select disk 0
list partition
but I don't see you assigning a letter to 529mb partition.
select partition 1
assign letter=h

You used wrong syntax for bcdboot command. Syntax is:
Next time use /v (verbose switch). This will give more info, if something went wrong.
bcdboot c:\windows /s h: /f uefi /v

Kyroix 74

Commendable
Jul 24, 2020
select disk 0
list partition
select partition 1
assign letter=h

Next time use /v (verbose switch). This will give more info, if something went wrong.
Yeh sorry i couldn’t show the full letter assignment thing as i turned off my computer after. So i need to assign H to 529mb partition. (If i haven’t done that already, can’t remember). And i’ll do the Verbose switch version of the bcdboot command. I’ll update you if there is any problems. If there isn’t and the bcdboot is successful, do i do the bios steps you outlined in the post?

Seems you need to make a bootable drive again, your bootable drive could be corrupted. Yesterday my friend downloaded a windows 10 iso from microsoft and it's corrupted during instalation (Error code: 0x8007025D ), i advise him to use Google Chrome to download the .iso instead and rufus it again, and it worked, no installation errors.

i didn't expect this thread could go as long as this, because me myself solved this within minutes :D

maybe want to see my method after you remake the bootable drive :tearsofjoy:?

Last edited:

Kyroix 74

Commendable
Jul 24, 2020
Seems you need to make a bootable drive again, your bootable drive could be corrupted. Yesterday my friend downloaded a windows 10 iso from microsoft and it's corrupted during instalation (Error code: 0x8007025D ), i advise him to use Google Chrome to download the .iso instead and rufus it again, and it worked, no installation errors.

i didn't expect this thread could go as long as this, because me myself solved this within minutes :D

I’ll try what SkyNetRising has told me to do first, and if it don’t work then maybe you tell me what i could do cuz whatever works i’m up for it man i really want this fixed asap

Kyroix 74

Commendable
Jul 24, 2020

Also what’s an ISO and what’s Rufus? Sorry i don’t know anything about all this pc stuff im not very technical

Kyroix 74

Commendable
Jul 24, 2020
select disk 0
list partition
select partition 1
assign letter=h

Just booted onto my computer and i have a black screen with a blinking cursor. How to fix?

Kyroix 74

Commendable
Jul 24, 2020
That means you're either
booting from UEFI bootable device in legacy mode or​
booting from legacy bootable device in UEFI mode.​
Since boot mode is not compatible with your storage device, you get a blinking cursor.
Well suddenly it has booted but i don’t know why it does that. Had to power off my pc couple times too

Kyroix 74

Commendable
Jul 24, 2020
select disk 0
list partition
select partition 1
assign letter=h

So i did the last command. Still failure to copy. Here’s an image of what came up (i used the /v at the end)

https://ibb.co/qW6g7HX

Well suddenly it has booted but i don’t know why it does that. Had to power off my pc couple times too
If you have both boot modes (legacy and UEFI) enabled in BIOS, one mode is tried first. If that fails, next boot mode is tried then.
If you want to avoid this, then have only single mode enabled.

Your drives are GPT partitioned, so you should have only UEFI mode enabled. Disable legacy boot mode (disable CSM).

Kyroix 74

Commendable
Jul 24, 2020
If you have both boot modes (legacy and UEFI) enabled in BIOS, one mode is tried first. If that fails, next boot mode is tried then.
If you want to avoid this, then have only single mode enabled.

Your drives are GPT partitioned, so you should have only UEFI mode enabled. Disable legacy boot mode (disable CSM).
Ahhh ok. It is set to both so ill set it to UEFI.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS