Question BCD corrupted, cannot repair in Advanced Recovery Mode ?

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kyroix 74

Commendable
Jul 24, 2020
Hi, i recently did a Windows quality update and i got several pop ups after a reboot saying ‘We couldn’t complete the updates, undoing changes’. This kept coming up. But one time i booted up my pc and it did not start up, instead giving me the screen to the advanced repair mode. I did all the options in the troubleshoot section, nothing worked. I did the command prompt, and ran a couple commands including BCD. It appears my BCD is corrupted. So i did the BCD repair commands, but they didn’t work. So i was stuck.

I clicked "Continue to Windows", but didn’t go back to the same screen, instead the horrible ‘Your device/pc needs to be repaired’. And the 4 options to boot on the advanced recovery, BIOS, and 2 others i forgot. I tried pressing F1 which was the allocated button for booting into the Advanced recovery again, but it didn’t work instead yakking me back to the same screen.

So currently i am stuck on the repair screen, not able to do anything on it except use the button to go into BIOS, but i don’t think i can do anything in that to get into Windows. So i think, 99% my BCD being corrupted is what caused my Windows to not boot up. I need some help because Resetting the PC is my last resort. I hope this massive oarsgraph makes sense to you.

Kyroix 74

Commendable
Jul 24, 2020
Oh dear. You have no clue, what BIOS is.

After you turn on your pc, press Delete button repeatedly. You'll get into BIOS then.
Find boot priority settings and
set first boot device to
[UEFI] USB flash drive
I know what bios is. Just wondered how to get into it because i used to use shift after a restart to get to bios but i didn’t know for sure

It requires administrative privileges.

Do copying from elevated command prompt instead (replace drive letter g: with appropriate letter for old windows partition drive letter)
xcopy /e /h c:\windows\boot g:\windows\

Kyroix 74

Commendable
Jul 24, 2020
It requires administrative privileges.

Do copying from elevated command prompt instead (replace drive letter g: with appropriate letter for old windows partition drive letter)
xcopy /e /h c:\windows\boot g:\windows\

Wait, i’ve just copied and replaced the boot files from the new windows to the old windows. Now what do i do? Was i supposed to do it in Command prompt? I just did it from the fuel explorer and it worked

Also i was supposed to copy the boot folder IN the windows folder right? Not the WHOLE windows folder? Cuz i copied the ‘Boot’ folder inside of the windows folder and replaced it

Last edited:
Wait, i’ve just copied and replaced the boot files from the new windows to the old windows.
Now what do i do? Was i supposed to do it in Command prompt? I just did it from the fuel explorer and it worked
Post #103 step #4.
Do that from elevated command prompt.
Show photo.

Also i was supposed to copy the boot folder IN the windows folder right? Not the WHOLE windows folder? Cuz i copied the ‘Boot’ folder inside of the windows folder and replaced it
That's correct.

Reactions: Kyroix 74

Kyroix 74

Commendable
Jul 24, 2020
Some essential files are missing. Bcdboot can't do it without those files.
Currently I see bootres.dll.mui missing. Probably there are more.

Here's, what you're going to do:
1. shrink 930GB partition by 100GB and install windows in there
diskpart
list disk
select disk 0
list partition
select partition 3
(select 930GB partition)​
shrink desired=102400

2. Boot from windows installation media. Install windows 10 into newly created 100GB partition (choose advanced install mode and specify location for new windows).

3. When this is done and you have successfully installed windows 10 there, boot into new windows and copy folder (and all contents)
\windows\boot
from newly installed windows (100GB partition) to old windows (830GB partition).

4. Open elevated command prompt and execute:
a) 1st assign letter to bootloader partition
diskpart
list disk
select disk 0
list partition
select partition 1
(select 529MB partition)​
assign letter=h
exit

b) Find out drive letter for old windows partition. Check it in Disk Management.
Could be F: or G: . I'll assume it's G:
Execute bcdboot command from elevated command prompt (change command accordingly, if drive letter is not G: )
bcdboot g:\windows /s h: /f uefi /v
If there are no other problems in your old windows, then this should fix it.
Next time you boot your pc, you'll be able to choose to boot into old windows or new windows.
If you can successfully load into old windows, then you can delete new windows and reclaim used space.
The new windows installation is Now the C: Drive, my old one is now D:. So do i do the command with D instead of G?

Kyroix 74

Commendable
Jul 24, 2020
Also i just did the BCDboot command, with D replacing G. And i got that same error message. It successfully copied files and all that, but at the end it says:
BFSVC Error: BCD strings MUI load failure d:\windows\System32\bootstr.dill (2).
BFSVC Error: Failed to initialise global state. Status = [c0000001]

Kyroix 74

Commendable
Jul 24, 2020
One line:
xcopy /e /h /y c:\windows\boot d:\windows\
Another line
bcdboot d:\windows /s h: /f uefi /v
https://ibb.co/ns80QD3 So it copied all the files but it still comes up with the error message i said in my last message. I notice there’s a (2) after the error, does that mean there’s a duplicate in there?

Also in the bcdboot command a few lines said some files were missing

Status
Not open for further replies.