[SOLVED] BCD xc0000098 error when trying to reinstall Win10

gbrenham

Reputable
Mar 29, 2017
I had a bunch of issues with Win10 Pro and determined it was best to just reinstall. When I did, I get this error. I can't boot off the USB drive where the Media Creation tool 1909 lives. I've tried multiple drives and multiple cables. Doesn't seem to be a hardware issue and it passes all BIOS diags.

Suggestions?

Solution
That you have to boot into a working PC to use the Media Creation tool. It can be used to create a bootable USB with the corresponding OS ISO.
From your original:
"I can't boot off the USB drive where the Media Creation tool 1909 lives. "

The "MediaCreationTool1909.exe" (or now, MediaCreationTool2004) is not a bootable thing.
Download the MCT from here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10 , and go through whatever options fit your needs.

You can download the ISO (to where?), and create a DVD or USB with that. Or just directly from running the MCT and that will create what is needed, either USB or DVD.

USAFRet

Titan
I had a bunch of issues with Win10 Pro and determined it was best to just reinstall. When I did, I get this error. I can't boot off the USB drive where the Media Creation tool 1909 lives. I've tried multiple drives and multiple cables. Doesn't seem to be a hardware issue and it passes all BIOS diags.

Suggestions?
You don't boot from the MediaCreation tool.
You run that from a working PC to create the Win 10 install routine.

The mediacreation.exe is not a bootable thing.

(if that's what you're trying to do)

gbrenham

Reputable
Mar 29, 2017
Well...that's just simply incorrect.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

• Using the installation media you created (click to show more or less information)
    Before you install Windows 10, it’s a good idea to save any work and back up your PC before you start. If you used the media creation tool to download an ISO file for Windows 10, you’ll need to burn it to a DVD before following these steps.
    1. Attach the USB flash drive or insert the DVD on the PC where you want to install Windows 10.
    2. Restart your PC.
      If your PC does not automatically boot to the USB or DVD media, you might have to open a boot menu or change the boot order in your PC's BIOS or UEFI settings. To open a boot menu or change the boot order, you'll typically need to press a key (such as F2, F12, Delete, or Esc) immediately after you turn on your PC. For instructions on accessing the boot menu or changing the boot order for your PC, check the documentation that came with your PC or go to the manufacturer's website. If you do not see the USB or DVD media device listed within the boot options, you may need to reach out to the PC manufacturer for instructions for temporarily disabling Secure Boot in your BIOS settings.
      If changing the boot menu or order doesn't work, and your PC immediately boots into the OS you want to replace, it is possible the PC had not fully shut down. To ensure the PC fully shuts down, select the power button on the sign-in screen or on the Start menu and select Shut down.
    3. On the Install Windows page, select your language, time, and keyboard preferences, and then select Next.
    4. Select Install Windows.

USAFRet

Titan
That you have to boot into a working PC to use the Media Creation tool. It can be used to create a bootable USB with the corresponding OS ISO.
From your original:
"I can't boot off the USB drive where the Media Creation tool 1909 lives. "

The "MediaCreationTool1909.exe" (or now, MediaCreationTool2004) is not a bootable thing.
Download the MCT from here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10 , and go through whatever options fit your needs.

You can download the ISO (to where?), and create a DVD or USB with that. Or just directly from running the MCT and that will create what is needed, either USB or DVD.

Solution