BCLK overclocking noob. Want advice

nialbu91

Prominent
May 3, 2018
So I was bored and started messing with the Base Clock in the bios. I bumped it up from 100mhz to 108.8mhz, changed the cpu multiplier to 46 and kept my ram at 3000mhz, but slightly lowered the timings and upped the voltage to 1.38.

https://imageshack.com/i/pomUU5NGj

https://imageshack.com/i/pnvUzGvwj

I want to take it a bit higher because I'm curious.

My setup:
delidded 7700k that's capable of 5.1ghz at 1.385v.
2X8gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000c15 ram
Gigabyte Z170 Gaming 7 motherboard on f22m bios(more about this later)
Corsair h115i
EVGA 1080Ti FTW3
EVGA 850W 80+ Platinum PSU
250gb samsung 850evo ssd boot drive
2tb Seagate SSHD
Noctua fans

I read that Z170 chipsets cant really handle higher base clocks, with some saying anything after 104mhz instantly crashes on them. I have mine at 108.8mhz and its fine. Could I push it higher, to say 110mhz? I mean I'm going to try it regardless but, other than the cpu multiplier, what else should I be weary of changing? I know the BCLK changes many things but I'm pretty new to this part of overclocking and I don't want to kill anything in my pc lol.

Solution
They confused other architectures where the pcie and dmi didn't have a separate clock. It's been like that since sandy but skylake brought back bclk ocing. (At least for mainstream chipsets.) You could go to 120+ to whatever else limits the oc. If you want to lower multi to get even higher bclk, have fun ocing.

But first you need to read ocing guides. I could tell you what else to be weary of but there is other stuff you need to know. If you are afraid of killing something, you don't know enough to be ocing. No one should ever do anything technical (not just computer related) without enough knowledge to know what to do. Making threads is good to clear up any thing in a guide you weren't sure about or to ask where to find good guides...
They confused other architectures where the pcie and dmi didn't have a separate clock. It's been like that since sandy but skylake brought back bclk ocing. (At least for mainstream chipsets.) You could go to 120+ to whatever else limits the oc. If you want to lower multi to get even higher bclk, have fun ocing.

But first you need to read ocing guides. I could tell you what else to be weary of but there is other stuff you need to know. If you are afraid of killing something, you don't know enough to be ocing. No one should ever do anything technical (not just computer related) without enough knowledge to know what to do. Making threads is good to clear up any thing in a guide you weren't sure about or to ask where to find good guides but the first step should be to read a guide or guides to get started. It's quite a bit of info that needs to be known before messing with things.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS