News BCN Report: AMD Makes up 68.6% of Direct CPU Sales in Japan, Gaining in Pre-builts

Japan is a little different, thanks to the anti-trust win by AMD over Intel in Japan, AMD has traditionally held a lot larger market share in japan then in other countries. That advantage went away somewhat as the terms of the anti-trust ruling were met (and AMD remained uncompetitive in the CPU market), but AMD has held a fairly strong market position in japan it just doesn't have anywhere else.

I'm starting to see some AMD laptop/desktops breaking into the market on the prebuilt, however it seems Dell (unlike HP) is hellbent to avoid offering AMD options, which is bad news for AMD as the vast majority of the business desktop and server markets are dominated by Dell. (Dell does offer some AMD options but they're only in the low end cheep offering, nothing on their high end quality systems)

bigdragon

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
I'm hoping this means we'll start seeing AMD products show up in premium laptops. Intel retains a stranglehold on the premium laptop segment despite their worse value and overheating issues. The AMD laptops I've been evaluating at work all seem to be junk with substandard parts. AMD also needs to cram some more cores into their mobile parts.

Give me a 6c/12t AMD cpu, graphics that can be used for gaming and 3d sculpting, and a Wacom AES panel and I'll upgrade from my Intel 2-in-1. I haven't found a reason to move away from a Yoga 720 yet -- a 2-in-1 that actually has cooling, graphics, 4c/8t, and Wacom!

Japan is a little different, thanks to the anti-trust win by AMD over Intel in Japan, AMD has traditionally held a lot larger market share in japan then in other countries. That advantage went away somewhat as the terms of the anti-trust ruling were met (and AMD remained uncompetitive in the CPU market), but AMD has held a fairly strong market position in japan it just doesn't have anywhere else.

I'm starting to see some AMD laptop/desktops breaking into the market on the prebuilt, however it seems Dell (unlike HP) is hellbent to avoid offering AMD options, which is bad news for AMD as the vast majority of the business desktop and server markets are dominated by Dell. (Dell does offer some AMD options but they're only in the low end cheep offering, nothing on their high end quality systems)

https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/scc/sc/laptops?~ck=mn&appliedRefinements=10352

https://www.dell.com/en-us/work/shop/scc/sc/laptops?~ck=mn&appliedRefinements=10352

Hell bent you say? Because I see quite a few consumer and business laptops available with Ryzen mobile CPUs.

I'm hoping this means we'll start seeing AMD products show up in premium laptops. Intel retains a stranglehold on the premium laptop segment despite their worse value and overheating issues. The AMD laptops I've been evaluating at work all seem to be junk with substandard parts. AMD also needs to cram some more cores into their mobile parts.

Give me a 6c/12t AMD cpu, graphics that can be used for gaming and 3d sculpting, and a Wacom AES panel and I'll upgrade from my Intel 2-in-1. I haven't found a reason to move away from a Yoga 720 yet -- a 2-in-1 that actually has cooling, graphics, 4c/8t, and Wacom!

I think AMD needs to offer more options. Right now their best option is the 3750U which is a 4/8 part while the Intel i5 9400H is its equivalent. Intels i7 line is 6/12 in mobile and AMD does not have anything with that to compete right now. Intels i9 and Xeon have no direct competition at all so they dominate the top end and workstation markets.

Sure you could say the Radeon GPU but the majority of people buying a laptop are not gaming so even the lowest Intel iGPU works. Those who are gaming tend to buy with a discrete GPU so thats a null point.

TRENDING THREADS