Question BDrom compatibility

xtrips

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2008
Hello,
The BDrom on my old Vaio laptop is not working anymore. While I was looking for a replacement I noticed that I could find better options in terms of performance and/or price. And they all look the same, same format and size, same connectors. Now on the pictures I cannot truly be sure of every detail such as the exact size or the placement of the 2 screws needed to put it back into my laptop.
So I am wondering, is there some kind of standard format for all these internal laptop DVDs, BDs, writers?
Can I just buy a replacement the way I see fit and adapt the plastic part that is apparent on the side of the laptop (screwed on the tray I guess)?

Many optical drives are very similar to one another in terms of dimensions and connection. You may have to swap faceplates and the little mounting tab on the back of the drive so that you can screw it into place (securing it to the laptop chassis). Said tab is usually held in with two small Philips screws, and the faceplace snaps on and off (but the plastic tabs that secure it are fragile, just FYI).

xtrips

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2008
Hello,
I replaced my original BDROM with a new one, a Matshita BD-MLT UJ272Q.
My Vaio is a VPCSA290x and I run Windows 10 x64 version 1903.
Although the drive is recognized no media can be read. As soon as I insert a media it starts to spin endlessly and reading files is not possible.
At best I can read the directory and content under File Explorer, but it hangs rather quickly. The only way to stop the whole computer from hanging is to use the pinhole on the drive to extract the media.
I found a few articles on the net commenting on this exact problem but the solutions offered, mainly involving regedit, didn't yield results.
Any idea

Hello,
I replaced my original BDROM with a new one, a Matshita BD-MLT UJ272Q.
My Vaio is a VPCSA290x and I run Windows 10 x64 version 1903.
Although the drive is recognized no media can be read. As soon as I insert a media it starts to spin endlessly and reading files is not possible.
At best I can read the directory and content under File Explorer, but it hangs rather quickly. The only way to stop the whole computer from hanging is to use the pinhole on the drive to extract the media.
I found a few articles on the net commenting on this exact problem but the solutions offered, mainly involving regedit, didn't yield results.
Any idea

Was this what the one you replaced was also doing? Did you try several media types?

The only regedit I recall was for a Win 7 bug. It's worth a shot, you can always backup and revert the registry changes, or use a System Restore Point, but I'd consider replacing the drive instead (hopefully you can return it for refund).

Have you tried reinstalling the native Win 10 driver through Device Manager?