Be careful with Amazon

Status
Not open for further replies.

ClapTrapper

Reputable
May 25, 2020
I bought a 870 Evo after the THW review on Amazon. I'm glad I finally got around attepting to install it a few weeks later.
IT WAS AN EMPTY BOX!

The 2nd question I asked the Amazon rep was if this came from Amazon or a 3rd party. She said it came from Amazon.

(Of course my 1st questions was)

Just giving y'all a heads up. Don't let products you order sit too long before you see if they work (or are even actually in the box!)

Reactions: itsdigger
I would say this isnt so much a warning about amazon as it is just general practice when getting any sort of product.
Even if I dont plan to use something right away, I always open it up and visually inspect it, ordered online or purchased at a store, electronics or not.
This practice has saved me alot of money, specifically in terms of groceries (sure it has an expiration date but is it actually not spoiled before I freeze it, etc).

Reactions: CountMike

RyzenNoob

Reputable
Jul 13, 2020
Seems like I wasn't the only one

I would go to customer service, complain on their social media accounts, not troll though or using bad language, see what effect that has on them

ClapTrapper

Reputable
May 25, 2020
Seems like I wasn't the only one

I would go to customer service, complain on their social media accounts, not troll though or using bad language, see what effect that has on them
"Seems like I wasn't the only one"
This happen to you too?

I did complain and they are sending a new one (hopefully it will be more than an empty box!),but I've lost all trust in Amazon.
Once I get my SSD I plan on demanding they delete my financial data and I will stop my Kindle subscriptions.

RyzenNoob

Reputable
Jul 13, 2020
"Seems like I wasn't the only one"
This happen to you too?

I did complain and they are sending a new one (hopefully it will be more than an empty box!),but I've lost all trust in Amazon.
Once I get my SSD I plan on demanding they delete my financial data and I will stop my Kindle subscriptions.

Yup happened twice on consecutive occasions. Went to get one delivery to their lockers , nothing inside.

Got the same thing delivered to my home, nothing inside the parcel. I almost blew a gasket when they refused to give a refund, but they eventually did. I had to sign an affidavit to say that I didn't receive anything

ClapTrapper

Reputable
May 25, 2020
Yup happened twice on consecutive occasions. Went to get one delivery to their lockers , nothing inside.

Got the same thing delivered to my home, nothing inside the parcel. I almost blew a gasket when they refused to give a refund, but they eventually did. I had to sign an affidavit to say that I didn't receive anything
I didn't have a problem with the replacement. The 1st thing the rep asked is if the boxed was taped. It was taped. But the tape said 1TB and had a QR code on it-no as if some Amazon employee stole the drive and hastily taped the box.
Maybe they are getting a rash of SSD thieves at Amazon.

D

Deleted member 217926

I've had Prime almost 12 years now and I used Amazon before that. It's almost always drama free ordering from them and I do a lot of it.

Except about 2 years ago when I bought my LG V35 ThinQ phone. Not only sold by Amazon but a Prime exclusive version ONLY sold by Amazon. I needed a phone somewhat quickly since I broke my old one. Prime should have me a new one with free 1 day shipping. Hah. The first one disappeared. Made it to the first shipping location and dropped off the Earth. So 3 days later they ship number 2. Number 2 gets here in one day like the first one should have and there's an opened LG V35 ThinQ box with a used $79 LG Trac Phone in it. It still had some guy's pictures on it. So after escalating that to their security department and being informed they didn't have any phones to ship for 2 or 3 days I finally got my new phone on the 3rd try and about 10 days later. I think they gave me $50 for my troubles and so I'd quit complaining.

bignastyid

Titan
A couple years ago ordered a new motherboard and got one that had obviously been used and abused by somebody(thermal grease all over the board). They sent me a replacement that had also been used and abused even more, a damaged socket aswell as being covered in thermal grease. I was not happy especially since the replacement took them 3 weeks to send because they had none in stock. I bought a different board(again through amazon and it was fine) setup a return and sent back the used board as all regular support was willing to do was a $5 credit to my account. I actually used Jeff Bezo's public Amazon email to sent a message detailing the situation and my displeasure(kept it professional, no ranting or profanity) and asked for nothing as I had got a refund when I returned it, but did say they needed to check there return practices as selling returned items as new was immoral and I believe illegal. I was contacted shortly after by an assistant and they credited me the cost of the 2nd board I bought(since I bought it from Amazon).

I have been a Amazon Prime customer for a long time, and this has been the only major issue I have had with them. A few small issues over the years but nothing they didn't take care of quickly.

ClapTrapper

Reputable
May 25, 2020
Interesting.
I've been an Amazon customer since 1999, and have never gotten an "empty box".

A small number of wrong things, and a couple of DOA.
Fixing the issue has always been fast and easy.
hehehehe!
Me too!
I was legitimately shocked. I looked thru the box 5 times in just perplexed wonder. Did I just go insane? Did I have a stroke? Is this real? They sent me an empty box?? The sent me an EMPTY box!!

Oh, btw,even though I was civil as possible under the circumstances, I just received an email saying my Review could not be posted to Amazon Reviews.
hehehehe-color me surprised.

Apparently the replacement is here already. I'm going to the Post Office now and checking.
I'll be keeping my fingers crossed there isn't an Act Two to this little adventure.
---------------------------
USAFRet,do you remember why we made Amazon what it is today? It wasn't necessarily because of cheap books,it was because we could reliably buy something-with the push of one button no less. Amazing! Until then,buying on the Super Information Highway was torture-if at all even possible.

I received an email from Sergey Brin thanking me for the kind words and encouragement on his search engine. (I secretly thought the name "Google" was terrible, but at least it didn't make me nauseas when I tried to look something up ala Yahoo and Alta-Vista. And it beat Gofer hands down).
Dang kids have no idea how easy they have it!
;>

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.