Question Be Quiet! Shadow Rock LP on FX-8350 (Overclocked)

Jul 26, 2019
I am planning on betting the Be Quiet! Shadow Rock LP on my FX-8350 overclocked at 4.2Ghz at 1.33V and my question is, would I be able to get a better overclock on my CPU with the be quiet cooler or should I get something more powerful?

COLGeek

Cybernaut
I am planning on betting the Be Quiet! Shadow Rock LP on my FX-8350 overclocked at 4.2Ghz at 1.33V and my question is, would I be able to get a better overclock on my CPU with the be quiet cooler or should I get something more powerful?
What heatsink are you using now? Also, LordVile is correct, you are near the limits of the FX-8350's performance. To increase, it is time to think about a complete overall (upgrade) of your system.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Shadow Rock LP. Not even close.

Low profile coolers are designed to allow space restrictive builds a little breathing room at stock settings, over and above the stock coolers performance.

You are wanting to put a 130w cooler on a 125w cpu, replacing the original 110w cooler and expecting to get a lot more out of it. Not going to happen, sorry. You'd get a little, maybe 4.3GHz locked cores, but not much higher.

To get the most out of that cpu will require 2 things. A cooler capable of such and a motherboard rated to handle that kind of abuse. Don't expect 4.5-4.6GHz on anything less than a 990FX or certain 970 chipsets. The VRM's/phases on the mobo simply will not handle the power draw, you'll fry the mobo trying or at least create serious instability.

For coolers you'd be looking at full size, non low profile, full 140w+ towers, preferably in the 150-180w range.

Jul 26, 2019
What heatsink are you using now? Also, LordVile is correct, you are near the limits of the FX-8350's performance. To increase, it is time to think about a complete overall (upgrade) of your system.

I understand, I am planning to upgrade to Ryzen 5 2600 but I will be doing the whole overhaul so I just figured to at least start with a new cooler since my current one is loud and dying.

I am using an LC-POWER Cosmo Cool LC-CC95

Jul 26, 2019
Shadow Rock LP. Not even close.

Low profile coolers are designed to allow space restrictive builds a little breathing room at stock settings, over and above the stock coolers performance.

You are wanting to put a 130w cooler on a 125w cpu, replacing the original 110w cooler and expecting to get a lot more out of it. Not going to happen, sorry. You'd get a little, maybe 4.3GHz locked cores, but not much higher.

To get the most out of that cpu will require 2 things. A cooler capable of such and a motherboard rated to handle that kind of abuse. Don't expect 4.5-4.6GHz on anything less than a 990FX or certain 970 chipsets. The VRM's/phases on the mobo simply will not handle the power draw, you'll fry the mobo trying or at least create serious instability.

For coolers you'd be looking at full size, non low profile, full 140w+ towers, preferably in the 150-180w range.

Thank you for your response.

Which cooler would you recommend for an AM3+ and AM4 chip, since I will be upgrading to Ryzen soon.

I need to get a new cooler soon since mine is loud and it's not cooling as good as it used to before (I did clean it and I reapplied the thermal paste but it didn't help much)

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Thank you for your response.

Which cooler would you recommend for an AM3+ and AM4 chip, since I will be upgrading to Ryzen soon.

I need to get a new cooler soon since mine is loud and it's not cooling as good as it used to before (I did clean it and I reapplied the thermal paste but it didn't help much)
This is because of the CPU being OCed. What is your budget for a new heatsink (that can also be used for a future AM4 build)?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
There's some decisions that needs to be made, so that you aren't wasting money.

You haven't said what case this new cooler will be used in, nor the amount of cooler clearance. That's a possible limiting factor. You've also not said if the case will be gutted or replaced with the new build, so if you get a tall cooler that can also limit case choices for the new build. It's a catch 22. It'd be great to drop a new cooler and get you some needed performance boost until the new build happens, it's the the consequences need to be addressed and planned for before time so as to not be an issue later.

Jul 26, 2019
There's some decisions that needs to be made, so that you aren't wasting money.

You haven't said what case this new cooler will be used in, nor the amount of cooler clearance. That's a possible limiting factor. You've also not said if the case will be gutted or replaced with the new build, so if you get a tall cooler that can also limit case choices for the new build. It's a catch 22. It'd be great to drop a new cooler and get you some needed performance boost until the new build happens, it's the the consequences need to be addressed and planned for before time so as to not be an issue later.

My case is from an unknown brand that I bought back in 2012. It has minimal airflow so I have a side panel opened. I will get the Zalman z1 neo case for my new build. I was thinking about getting the be quiet pure rock slim for now and for my next build since it supports AM3+ and AM4 and I've heard good things about it