Be Quiet Shadow Rock Slim vs i7 4790k oc

Decends

Respectable
Jul 3, 2016
I can't tell if my temps are high or are with in reason. I have the i7 4790k running at 4.5ghz@1.175. 3 of the 4 cores average 80-85c in Prime95 V26.6. But oddly, core 4 runs around 70-75c. Voltage and temps monitored by HWMonitor.

Which Prime95 test are you running? The Small FFTs test will push the CPU threads to 100%, representing a worst-case scenario, so high temperatures should be expected. The temperature of the CPU will also be influenced by the ambient temperature and the air flow within the case.

85C seems high considering the VCORE, so how many fans does the case have, how are they arranged and what case is it? What's the ambient temperature? I assume the cooler is mounted correctly and a sufficient amount of thermal paste was applied?

Decends

Respectable
Jul 3, 2016
Either prime95 test causes identical temps. Ambient is about 68-70 degrees Fahrenheit. Phanteks Enthoo Pro with 200mm fan intake and 140mm exhaust behind the cpu cooler at the back of the case and the 135mm fan that came on the shadow rock. As far as i can tell the cooler is mounted properly with correct thermal paste application. Temps stay in 60's at stock in prime95 26.6. I made sure to avoid avx version of prime. All fans are running at full speed by time temps exceed 70c. The system is clear of any dust.

Decends

Respectable
Jul 3, 2016
I currently do not have any games installed that can put a serious load on it. I did a fresh install of Windows yesterday. But it stays around 40s to 50s around a 30% load in gaming. The main thing is the temp gap between the package and cores 1 through 3 and the near 10c difference lower on core 4.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
A ~10'C between hottest & coolest core is not too uncommon.

There are things you can do to reduce that some (like lapping the CPU/Cooler), but
1. You're never going to fully remove the variance fully - typically one or two cores will always run a little hotter.
2. Unless it's pushing your package temps up to uncomfortable/unsafe temps, there's really no benefit anyway.

You have to appreciate too, you're talking about a Shadow Rock Slim.
A respectable cooler, given it's size etc - and a very good $40(ish) cooler..... But it's still a $40(ish) cooler.