Question be quiet! Silent Wings 3 - "L" or "S" side orientation?

Jul 13, 2020
Hi there, brand new to PC building and trying to learn as much as I can, so I appreciate any help all you cool people can provide. For the Silent Wings 3 fans, when attaching the anti-vibration fittings, we are given a choice of installing with the "L" or "S" side of the fittings positioned against the PC case, depending on if we want a 1mm gap or flush. But the manual doesn't specify what effect the orientation has on performance, other than mentioning the "L" side provides max decoupling. I'm assuming that since we're offered a choice then there should be situations where it's better to use the other side, correct? So I'm looking for some clarity as to what situations the different orientations would be optimal for. Like, is one orientation preferred for intake and another preferred for exhaust? Or does one orientation prioritize better cooling function and the other prioritize noise level? I appreciate the help, thanks!

Image of the manual below for reference.

sw3-sl.png

Thanks again!

Jul 13, 2020
Here's the response I got from Be Quiet! support:

"If you wished to have a better seal for pulling you would want flush housing, if you want push, maybe go with the maximum possible decompiling. " (obv they mean decoupling).

So sounds like they recommend flush (S side) for intake fans and using the gap (L side) for exhaust. Makes sense to me! Any other opinions? I doubt there'd be much (if any) noticeable difference either way, but I figured since we're given a choice to make I'd like to understand it and make sure I'm not missing anything.