Be wary, the "Best VR headsets of 2019" article contains wrong and outdated information about WMR

Oct 29, 2018
I wanted to make a clarification to the readers of this site's articles regarding WMR.

The article I'm talking about:
https://www.tomsguide.com/us/best-vr-headsets,review-3550.html

It shows inaccurate information regarding WMR when it fails to mention that it can play the full vast catalog of Steam VR games. Even regardless if they have explicit support for WMR, almost every one of them will work. The author seems to be under the impression that it only runs Windows Store games. Like it was back in October 2017 when these headsets just released, and was the situation for some months after.
By December 2017/January 2018, Steam support was widely available.

Which brings me to another key point to this. The author seems to be basing her WMR entry on information that's outdated, back to the point where the initial batch of hardware was released. It completely ignores the more premium hardware like the Samsung Odyssey and it's very recent upgrade, the Odyssey +. Which are much better than the one the author chose as "the best". They're also really popular among WMR users.

Another fixation that the author might have cut & pasted from back in October 2017 is the fact that WMR runs on integrated graphics. Which is true but nowhere near the intended usage, which makes me question her other statement about "Noticeable visual differences depending on connected system" being a negative point. We could fairly say that this applies to any VR headset that's tethered to a PC. Certainly it's the case with the Oculus and Vive, which incidentally have a smaller resolution than any of the regular WMR headsets. That point is also omitted from her review.

I don't think it's fair to the readers to present inaccurate information, especially information that's biased against what is actually a pretty good and cheap way to play VR with great quality. WMR headsets can be bought for around 200 bucks or less nowadays, complete with controller.

I think it would be fair to correct the article.

D

Deleted member 217926

I absolutely encourage you to contact the author and encourage them to correct the information. I'll also keep my opinions about the recycled clickbait that passes for Tom's Guide reviews to myself so I don't get in trouble. :ange: