Beauty versus brains?

a lot of what i'm reading about the next gen xbox is about the way
games are going to look. there's not a lot of dialogue about actual
gameplay and how that's going to be better.

anybody care to enlighten this old schooler about what the benefits are
for the next gen xbox, beyond graphical?

in my opinion, some of my favorite games through the history of gaming
weren't all that great looking (ie, Pirate Adventure was a text-based
game and was a blast).

"Fizzlestix" <fizzlestix@metallica.com> wrote in message
> a lot of what i'm reading about the next gen xbox is about the way
> games are going to look. there's not a lot of dialogue about actual
> gameplay and how that's going to be better.
>
> anybody care to enlighten this old schooler about what the benefits are
> for the next gen xbox, beyond graphical?
>
> in my opinion, some of my favorite games through the history of gaming
> weren't all that great looking (ie, Pirate Adventure was a text-based
> game and was a blast).

In the end, gameplay beats out graphics. I don't care which console packs
the best hardware. To me, it's the quality of games that count.

"Fizzlestix" <fizzlestix@metallica.com> wrote in message
>a lot of what i'm reading about the next gen xbox is about the way
> games are going to look. there's not a lot of dialogue about actual
> gameplay and how that's going to be better.
>
> anybody care to enlighten this old schooler about what the benefits are
> for the next gen xbox, beyond graphical?
>
> in my opinion, some of my favorite games through the history of gaming
> weren't all that great looking (ie, Pirate Adventure was a text-based
> game and was a blast).

nore processing power equals more realism, so if you like driving sims,
you'll have more realistic handling, or realistic explosions, crashes,
reflections, etc, more power is better...more hardware also allows for much
larger and seamless levels for adventuring...no or minimal loading sounds
good to me...that being said, I believe this next round MS will focus on the
"media hub" aspects of a console, being not only able to play exceptional
games, but host movies, music, images, voice/video chat, etc.

simply put, 360 is gonna kick ass.

On 22 Apr 2005 06:29:37 -0700, "Fizzlestix" <fizzlestix@metallica.com>
wrote in message <1114176577.843668.16140@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>:

>a lot of what i'm reading about the next gen xbox is about the way
>games are going to look. there's not a lot of dialogue about actual
>gameplay and how that's going to be better.
>
>anybody care to enlighten this old schooler about what the benefits are
>for the next gen xbox, beyond graphical?

Among other things, more CPU power will allow better application of
complex physics engines. The extra CPU power will also allow more
dedication to AI calculations. However, good AI depends not only on
available CPU power but also on good programming.

>in my opinion, some of my favorite games through the history of gaming
>weren't all that great looking (ie, Pirate Adventure was a text-based
>game and was a blast).

Yoho!

Khee Mao wrote:

>...that being said, I believe this next round MS will focus on the
> "media hub" aspects of a console, being not only able to play exceptional
> games, but host movies, music, images, voice/video chat, etc.

But a modded Xbox can do that and more now.

--crymad

"Fizzlestix" <fizzlestix@metallica.com> wrote in message

<snip>

>a lot of what i'm reading about the next gen xbox is about the way
> games are going to look. there's not a lot of dialogue about
> actual
> gameplay and how that's going to be better.
>
> anybody care to enlighten this old schooler about what the
> benefits are
> for the next gen xbox, beyond graphical?

That question can only be answered by the game developers. IMHO
gameplay is more dependant on creativity than hardware.

---Stash

"Political Correctness is just inverted McCarthyism."
-- Dennis Miller

SPAM FILTER:
You'd have to be out of YourMind to send me email.

wrote:

>a lot of what i'm reading about the next gen xbox is about the way
>games are going to look. there's not a lot of dialogue about actual
>gameplay and how that's going to be better.
>
>anybody care to enlighten this old schooler about what the benefits are
>for the next gen xbox, beyond graphical?
>
>in my opinion, some of my favorite games through the history of gaming
>weren't all that great looking (ie, Pirate Adventure was a text-based
>game and was a blast).

Physics and AI are two areas were next- gen hardware should show
improvement over the current stuff. More power in general means more
possibilities for developers, although the realities of the market
place often mean that sequels take precedence over new methods of
gameplay.