[SOLVED] Been almost a decade since i Overclocked a GPU ,did things change, voltages fully locked now ?

Led zeppelin blues

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2015
Hello ,
Last time i overclocked was almost a decade ago and overclocked my GT 730 pretty high and even went further by getting a modded bios that allowed the voltages to be overclocked beyond what i could do which gave a pretty good fps bump

But after so many years i've got my Zotac GTX 1650 SUPER which i can overclock cause its pretty simple anyway but surprised to see there is an voltage percentage slider on MSI afterburner and on Zotac Firestorm both but they have no effect in actual overclocking , and the relic nvidia inspector has voltage greyed out

For what i know so far is you cant mod the bios anymore or am i wrong ?

And then i read flashing the bios of the same GPU but by a different maker like MSI and so on but they would have to be identical in design , VRAM and ports which basically is a no-no too risky

So is there a solution to increase voltage that actually works on this card ,perhaps someone modded the bios ?

Things have changed and im older but the sun is relatively the same ,so i ask any workaround, unlock method or im out of luck with voltage increase ?

Solution
Modern GPUs have automated boosting capabilities. ie, monitor the actual GPU frequency during gaming and you'll likely see that it exceeds the 1725Mhz(?) advertised boost clock.

This auto boost generally pushes frequency up until a given power (Watts) or temp is hit/exceeded. Then it dynamically adjusts frequency to maintain at that ceiling.

There are 3 things (limits) that can/do limit GPU frequency:
  • Voltage = allows higher stable clocks; increases power and temp
  • Power = allows higher voltage; allows higher temp
  • Temp = obvious
Simply applying more voltage won't necessarily increase your GPU frequency if you're up against power limits anyway (generally the case in auto boost state). If you're only going to adjust...
Modern GPUs have automated boosting capabilities. ie, monitor the actual GPU frequency during gaming and you'll likely see that it exceeds the 1725Mhz(?) advertised boost clock.

This auto boost generally pushes frequency up until a given power (Watts) or temp is hit/exceeded. Then it dynamically adjusts frequency to maintain at that ceiling.

There are 3 things (limits) that can/do limit GPU frequency:
  • Voltage = allows higher stable clocks; increases power and temp
  • Power = allows higher voltage; allows higher temp
  • Temp = obvious
Simply applying more voltage won't necessarily increase your GPU frequency if you're up against power limits anyway (generally the case in auto boost state). If you're only going to adjust the basic Afterburner offset sliders, increasing all 3 (frequency/voltage/power) is your best bet, but it's going to result in higher temps and louder fans. A more advanced step; hitting Ctrl+F in Afterburner will bring up the frequency/voltage curve, which will allow you to test and enter lower voltages for respective frequencies, which would in turn reduce power and temp, and allow for higher frequency.

Last edited:
Solution