Been Blue Screening since March and I'm losing my mind.

EricaE

Commendable
Dec 20, 2016
Back in March I built a brand new PC and it worked for about 2 days before it started to blue screen getting worse and worse as time went on.
I have run every test I can think of like Memtest, chkdsk and a bunch of other ones.
A week ago it blue screened on boot and I thought it was potentially the psu because of the constant hangs we'd get when booting and a bunch of other issues. Replaced it today and it booted but after about 30 minutes I tried to update a game and it crashed with a Memory Management error (which is the most common one, hence the memtests and whatnot).

I've spent months trying to solve this issue and I just have no idea what it could be. WhoCrashed consistently ties the blue screens to ntoskrnl.exe which suggests a driver issue but all of the drivers have been updated and reinstalled multiple times. Could it be an out of date BIOS or a faulty motherboard causing all these issues? I have no idea but I would appreciate it if someone knew how to help me.

Solution
k. Which memtest did you run, the download from www.memtest.org?

Dont bother with the windows memory test rubbish. It's not long enough

Download speccy we'll see what version of the BIOS is on it now. Or you could check in the BIOS

I'm pretty sure a BIOS update would fix some of these crashes. Looks like there's a lot of BIOS updates. The latest one is 7.10 as of 29/11 this year

If the BIOS can be updated in the BIOS update it in the BIOS

EricaE

Commendable
Dec 20, 2016

Uh how do I do that exactly? I'm a massive noob when it comes to that kind of thing. Would a screenshot of the WhoCrashed report suffice or is there a different way?

EricaE

Commendable
Dec 20, 2016
I don't know if the BIOS is up to date but I don't think it is. I was going to do it after I posted this thread but I'm backing everything up right now in case it goes wrong, since I'm mostly confident with hardware not software on PCs.

The mobo is a ASRock h170 performance

EricaE

Commendable
Dec 20, 2016
Also I don't know if this helps at all but I've also had both windows 10 and 8.1 installed with the same blue screening issues. My PC also doesn't turn off unless i force shut it down

k. Which memtest did you run, the download from www.memtest.org?

Dont bother with the windows memory test rubbish. It's not long enough

Download speccy we'll see what version of the BIOS is on it now. Or you could check in the BIOS

I'm pretty sure a BIOS update would fix some of these crashes. Looks like there's a lot of BIOS updates. The latest one is 7.10 as of 29/11 this year

If the BIOS can be updated in the BIOS update it in the BIOS

Solution

EricaE

Commendable
Dec 20, 2016
I ran 86+ I believe, I know a did a few from memtest.org ran them all overnight and not a single issue, all the memory ran passes.

I'll download speccy and let you know

I guess it's pretty likely I'll just have to toughen up and update the bios, it can't be that complicated right?

Read the manual on how to update the BIOS.

Looks like one is for windows so you maybe able to run it in windows. Not too sure what the instant flash is or how you run it (It maybe in the BIOS).

The DOS one maybe harder to do since you may have to make a bootable device to boot from it so it updates the BIOS

EricaE

Commendable
Dec 20, 2016
From what I've read when I looked up how to do it, you can download the installation media onto a flash drive and that's what the instant flash thing is. Ugh I really dislike ASRock's UEFI interface thingy

EricaE

Commendable
Dec 20, 2016

Honestly I wish I'd gone with ASUS, the h170 has good reviews and we got it on sale but it's just very foreign to me because none of my other pc's have ever had an ASRock mobo before

EricaE

Commendable
Dec 20, 2016

Hahahahaha wow I feel really stupid right now. It wouldn't have caused damage to any of the parts would it?

No but you can or may have probs if any of the crashes are cpu related. And some were.

It's a good idea to update it depending on what the BIOS updates fix. And since you've never updated it, now maybe a good time to do it.,

Backing up wont do anything, since the BIOS isnt on the hdd. Its like the brain of a computer. Without it, nothing will work

So read the manual properly because if it freezes or fails (or the power gets cut off while it's flashing the BIOS) you may brick the system.

If you dont follow how to flash it properly

EricaE

Commendable
Dec 20, 2016
Okey dokes will do. I was only backing up the files just in case it messes up and corrupts. My boyfriend's parents would kill me if all their business files were lost.

EricaE

Commendable
Dec 20, 2016
Okay so the BIOS updated without a hitch, I'm gonna test it and do all the things I normally do and see if it's still bluescreening. If it's fixed I just mark your comment about updating the BIOS as the solution yeah?

Thank you so, so much for your time and help with this problem. You're the best!