Been Blue Screening since March and I'm losing my mind.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

EricaE

Commendable
Dec 20, 2016
Back in March I built a brand new PC and it worked for about 2 days before it started to blue screen getting worse and worse as time went on.
I have run every test I can think of like Memtest, chkdsk and a bunch of other ones.
A week ago it blue screened on boot and I thought it was potentially the psu because of the constant hangs we'd get when booting and a bunch of other issues. Replaced it today and it booted but after about 30 minutes I tried to update a game and it crashed with a Memory Management error (which is the most common one, hence the memtests and whatnot).

I've spent months trying to solve this issue and I just have no idea what it could be. WhoCrashed consistently ties the blue screens to ntoskrnl.exe which suggests a driver issue but all of the drivers have been updated and reinstalled multiple times. Could it be an out of date BIOS or a faulty motherboard causing all these issues? I have no idea but I would appreciate it if someone knew how to help me.

Solution
k. Which memtest did you run, the download from www.memtest.org?

Dont bother with the windows memory test rubbish. It's not long enough

Download speccy we'll see what version of the BIOS is on it now. Or you could check in the BIOS

I'm pretty sure a BIOS update would fix some of these crashes. Looks like there's a lot of BIOS updates. The latest one is 7.10 as of 29/11 this year

If the BIOS can be updated in the BIOS update it in the BIOS

Yup or a new BIOS chip. For example if the power went off while it was flashing / updating the BIOS. This would brick the system and make it unusable.

Unless it was an ASUS mobo, you can recover the BIOS by either using Crashfree BIOS, or use BIOS flashback. Which is a feature of ASUS mobos

The BIOS chip is (usually) removable. That would be the cheapest option

EricaE

Commendable
Dec 20, 2016
I've been playing pretty much all night and running all the different programs and games that normally cause blue screens without a single issue. Thank you so, so much, this is such a relief and I really appreciate you taking the time to help me out! :)

BIOS updates are life savers

TRENDING THREADS