Question Been given a Blank Macbook pro 2012

chucky9

Honorable
Nov 3, 2013
Hi, yesterday i was given a macbook pro from 2012 by a friend. My intention is to give it to my father who is not tech savy at all but has been wanting a bigger laptop for about a year now.

I turned it on this morning only to be presented with a folder icon with a question mark on it, i asked my friend what that was about and then said they had put a new ssd in it due to the old one have lots of sesitive info on.

Any ideas of what i can do, can i install windows on it with a usb? The macbook is a 2012 A1212.

Many thanks in advance.

Wolfshadw

Titan
It looks like that system can run MacOS X Lion. See if your friend can create an OS Install USB (guessing he got a newer Mac). If not, this would be your first step... finding someone that can create a MacOS Install USB.

Found this video on how to do it:

-Wolf sends

Spaceghaze

Proper
Oct 17, 2019
Hold shift-option-⌘-R at startup.. You should then get to start-up macOS recovery over internet. It will ask you to connect to a wifi network and will install whatever macOS version it came with when it was new.

chucky9

Honorable
Nov 3, 2013
Thank you for all the answers,
It looks like that system can run MacOS X Lion. See if your friend can create an OS Install USB (guessing he got a newer Mac). If not, this would be your first step... finding someone that can create a MacOS Install USB.
No, he did not get a new mac, i have tried creating a mac os x lion usb but the laptop doesn't even detect the usb, i have tried putting the ssd into my main pc and installing the os that way but i still get the folder with the question mark on it.

Hold shift-option-⌘-R at startup.. You should then get to start-up macOS recovery over internet. It will ask you to connect to a wifi network and will install whatever macOS version it came with when it was new.
I have seen this route in the various guides, the issue is i don't have this utility page, if i could get to that utility page then im sure i could install lion os that way but i only get the folder with the question mark on nothing else.

Spaceghaze

Proper
Oct 17, 2019
Thank you for all the answers,

No, he did not get a new mac, i have tried creating a mac os x lion usb but the laptop doesn't even detect the usb, i have tried putting the ssd into my main pc and installing the os that way but i still get the folder with the question mark on it.

I have seen this route in the various guides, the issue is i don't have this utility page, if i could get to that utility page then im sure i could install lion os that way but i only get the folder with the question mark on nothing else.

Soo, nothing happens when you press the designated keys?

Sep 23, 2019
Make sure you have an internet connection (Ethernet +adapter) or login to a local trusted Wireless Network near you once prompted. Any Apple computers that are past the year 2011 (late) should have the compatibility to do "Internet Recovery Mode".

⌘-R at startup.

chucky9

Honorable
Nov 3, 2013

Spaceghaze

Proper
Oct 17, 2019
No nothing happens, i have still not been able to solve this issue, i have tried a few times to install different versions of iOS on the ssd by connecting it to my pc but again it just displays the question mark. View: https://i.stack.imgur.com/G7wYF.jpg

If i could just get the utility software installed then im sure i could install the ios via that.

Weird, because it should be there. Make sure you are pressing ⌘-R before you push the power button. You might have to hold the keys for a while as well.

When making the USB, did you do this?

ASK THE COMMUNITY