[SOLVED] Been having issues with PC shutting down for a few months now.

deadbubble

Honorable
Aug 15, 2016
Looking for a second opinion here, on my PC.

For some time, I have been issues with it suddenly shutting down under heavy load, like playing a modern game.

At first, I assumed it to be the fault of my 480. Every time the crash happened, I would reboot with the message "AMD Wattman has shut down due to an unexpected error." Swapped that <Mod Edit> out for a 1070.

It improved. I could, say, play SWTOR for more than 45 minutes straight. Quite a while, actually. However, on playing some more intensive games, the problem reared its head once again. Temps were (and are fine), never reaching above 80 C once it crashes.

I googled the error code hte windows event viewer gave me: Kernel-Power 41(63), and some reading told me the issue was a broken PSU.

I swapped that <Mod Edit> for a new one (and didn't install it upside down this time lol). It improved again. However, once again, the problem reared its ugly head again. Its making playing Yakuza 7 a pain in the ass. New PSU is Corsair RM850, for context.

With both GPU and MOBO seemingly good, I turned my attention to the RAM. I noticed that when I ran the Windows Memory Diagnostic, my PC would shut down after a while. On someone else's advice, I played around with my RAM sticks (2 x 4 GB). Swapped them, ran 1 at a time. It wasn't until I dusted out the RAM ports (which were very dusty) that I got through the diagnostic with no crashes.

However, even though its a noticeable improvement, it still crashes. It takes a lot longer, but it does happen. I attribute this to the heat, as its well into summer, in northern california, with only a swamp cooler to cool my house.

However, to cover my bases, I did run a stress test on my CPU, Prime95. CPU temps were stable, reaching a max of 80C, under 100% load. I ran the test for 15 minutes. However, there was one thing. I have 4 cores, and each was tested individually. 1 core only ran for like 5 seconds, before the test threw out an error. Something like an incorrect calculation, bad rounding. Prime95 stopped all tests on that 1 core, and proceeded with the other 3.

Could the issue be my CPU specifically? Running out of components here lmao. Its an FX-8350, to be exact.

Current PC specs, for posterity
GPU: GeForce GTX 1070
CPU: AMD FX-8350
PSU: Corsair RM850
RAM: 2x4GB DDR3, manufacturer A-DATA (dont know specifics)
Mobo: M5A97 R2.0
Drives: 500GB SSD, 2TB HDD

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
The Thermal Margin reading is the focus of what I requested.
The cpu is thermal throttling. That cpu reports back how far away it is from it's thermal limit, not ambient to 100C(+/-) like most cpus today do. Some apps try to read that as the latter and end up not being accurate.
FX-8350 has a Thermal Margin of 61C. As it warms up, the readings in Overdrive will count down, even into the negative range.
Time for a new cooler, but before that...

The crashing may be motherboard related, as quite a number of them can't handle the 125w rated FXs for extended periods of time; the power delivery would easily throttle.
A way to test this would be to open the PC, take a box or desk fan and blast the inside, around where the VRM is located, and...

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
The cpu is thermal throttling. That cpu reports back how far away it is from it's thermal limit, not ambient to 100C(+/-) like most cpus today do. Some apps try to read that as the latter and end up not being accurate.
FX-8350 has a Thermal Margin of 61C. As it warms up, the readings in Overdrive will count down, even into the negative range.

The crashing may be motherboard related, as quite a number of them can't handle the 125w rated FXs for extended periods of time; the power delivery would easily throttle.
A way to test this would be to open the PC, take a box or desk fan and blast the inside, around where the VRM is located, and see if clocks continue to throttle or crashing occurs.
At this point in time, it sure as heck isn't worth replacing that motherboard if it's the problem. You're looking at a brand new platform.

Reactions: deadbubble
Solution

deadbubble

Honorable
Aug 15, 2016

A way to test this would be to open the PC, take a box or desk fan and blast the inside, around where the VRM is located, and see if clocks continue to throttle or crashing occurs.
At this point in time, it sure as heck isn't worth replacing that motherboard if it's the problem. You're looking at a brand new platform.

I appreciate the detailed response. I will confess this is a bit out of my depth here. What I'm understanding is my CPU is getting throttled. Its running too hot, according to the thermal margins. The FX is also possibly outputting more wattage than the mobo is designed for?

As for your last suggestion, what exactly do you mean by a new platform? I'd give an educated guess, but figure its best to defer to you here.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I appreciate the detailed response. I will confess this is a bit out of my depth here. What I'm understanding is my CPU is getting throttled. Its running too hot, according to the thermal margins. The FX is also possibly outputting more wattage than the mobo is designed for?

As for your last suggestion, what exactly do you mean by a new platform? I'd give an educated guess, but figure its best to defer to you here.
Yes and yes.

New platform(cpu+mobo+ram) from Intel Core i or AMD Ryzen.

deadbubble

Honorable
Aug 15, 2016
Yes and yes.

New platform(cpu+mobo+ram) from Intel Core i or AMD Ryzen.

Heyyyy perfect. At this point, those are the only parts in desperate need of upgrades anyways. According to PC Part Picker, I would need a new MOBO to upgrade to a Ryzen or so either way, and extra RAM sounds like a no-brainer. Now that I know thats likely to be the issue, I'll have peace of mind upgrading. Thanks again! I'll be sure to prioritize getting a new platform.