[SOLVED] Been out of the loop for years...a little guidence pleasse

Aug 25, 2019
So I'm looking at upgrading my 6 year old PC....but i'm finding my mother board connection for some stuff isn't compatible anymore....i'm really looking for GPU first then CPU....i would like to see what my options are for top of the line that will work on my mother board....here are my specs...and thanks in advance for the help....
2TB SATA III 6GB/S 7200RPM 64MB CACHE 3.5" HD
AMD FX-9370 4.4GHZ (4.7GHZ TURBO) 8-CORE AM3+
KINGSTON HYPER-X 8GB DDR3/ 1600 MHZ
ASETEK 570LX 240MM WATERCOOLER
GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3 AMD 990FX SLI/CROSSFIRE DDR3 USB3 SATA3 AM3+
800 WATT 80 PLUS POWER SUPPLY
AMD RADEON R9 290X 4GB PCI-E 3.0
running windows 7

Solution
If you can wait till next year you will build a PC with much better Graphics Card. Also current CPUs will be cheaper. Better build a whole new build as the AM3+ platform is a dead end. There is no worthy upgrade for your CPU there. Also that PSU is bad you should buy a complete new system(minus the hard drive and add an SSD as other have suggested with Windows 10 installed because 7 will be unsupported next year)
Aug 25, 2019
Are you on a 1080p screen ? What's your budget for the Video card upgrade ? What's the exact make and model number of your PSU ?
I have oculus rift and it has been ok with the game i was playing but updates to this game has made it impossible to play....
Budget i would say no more than $450...and PSU make: HMW model: XG-H800

i'm also looking at CPU upgrade as well...but seeing that my choices are limited due to mother board....if it gets to crazy in upgrading i might just look as whole new build at the first of the year

If I'm not mistaken, you have an XtremeGear model XG-H800, which I think is manufactured by HAPPY MULTI-WEALTH TECHNOLOGIES, and it's not great when it comes to build quality and efficiency. Replace this PSU for some other high quality PSU.

But anyways, do NOT use that PSU for any future upgrades. Read this as well:

https://www.cyberpowerpc.com/forum/topic19111.html

Have you considered buying the RTX 2060 ? Or you can also buy the RX 5700 GPU, any of the custom AIB models (not the reference cooler cards).

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2019
If I'm not mistaken, you have an XtremeGear model XG-H800, which I think is manufactured by HAPPY MULTI-WEALTH TECHNOLOGIES, and it's not great when it comes to build quality and efficiency. Replace this PSU for some other high quality PSU.

Buy anyways, do NOT use that PSU for any future upgrades. Read this as well:

https://www.cyberpowerpc.com/forum/topic19111.html

Have you considered buying the RTX 2060 ? Or you can also buy the RX 5700 GPU, any of the custom AIB models (not the reference cooler cards).
will my board support that? i was looking a the vega 64 but that rx 5700 is just a step up....

RLarcosPES2

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2014
If you can wait till next year you will build a PC with much better Graphics Card. Also current CPUs will be cheaper. Better build a whole new build as the AM3+ platform is a dead end. There is no worthy upgrade for your CPU there. Also that PSU is bad you should buy a complete new system(minus the hard drive and add an SSD as other have suggested with Windows 10 installed because 7 will be unsupported next year)

Reactions: Metal Messiah.
Solution