[SOLVED] Been out of the pc scene for a while, need help

Gokuden7117

Prominent
Mar 28, 2019
Its been foreever since I've built a pc(early 2000's) and need a bit of expertiese. Looked at a few sites and I think i know witch way to go but wanted a bit of input. My current(older) computer is a fx-6350 cpu based with am3 socket along wither 4x4gb ripjaw ram(970a-ud3p mobo), and it playes pretty well with most games but i cam across a i7-7700k intel with a ga-z270x-ultra gaming mobo in the garbage and was mainly wondering how much better performance id get over my current setup? Also could i slap my ddr3 ram into this apparently ddr4 ram mobo and would it work? I though i was getting the hang of the amd lingo but apparently not, idk wtf any of this ryzen etc. names are. please help an old fart,lol Oh, also, my gpu is a poopy 750gtx 2gb if that matters.... i have a gtx 660 too.. idk witch i should go with that also. just want something to decently play most games(even though i play mostly backups of my old console games)

Solution
Quite a lot of improvement. The FX CPUs always had serious problems in gaming; one could see this when AMD's successor, Ryzen, had entry-level chips that were better gamers than their top-of-the-line FX chips. FX CPUs were losing to 2012/2013 i5s, FX vs. a 2017 i7 is a cakewalk for the Intel.

A 7700k/z270 motherboard would be a major upgrade. You cannot, however, use DDR3 RAM; you'd need to buy DDR4 RAM. They're incompatible.

The GTX 660 will be faster than a GTX 750 and even a 750 Ti. An x50 GPU did not surpass the GTX 660 until the GTX 950. Though make sure you have a decent power supply; GTX 660 needed supplementary power and if you don't have a quality power supply, using the 750 Ti (as long as it's not one of the overclocked ones...

DSzymborski

Titan
Quite a lot of improvement. The FX CPUs always had serious problems in gaming; one could see this when AMD's successor, Ryzen, had entry-level chips that were better gamers than their top-of-the-line FX chips. FX CPUs were losing to 2012/2013 i5s, FX vs. a 2017 i7 is a cakewalk for the Intel.

A 7700k/z270 motherboard would be a major upgrade. You cannot, however, use DDR3 RAM; you'd need to buy DDR4 RAM. They're incompatible.

The GTX 660 will be faster than a GTX 750 and even a 750 Ti. An x50 GPU did not surpass the GTX 660 until the GTX 950. Though make sure you have a decent power supply; GTX 660 needed supplementary power and if you don't have a quality power supply, using the 750 Ti (as long as it's not one of the overclocked ones that need supplementary power) is safer.

Solution

Gokuden7117

Prominent
Mar 28, 2019

The GTX 660 will be faster than a GTX 750 and even a 750 Ti. An x50 GPU did not surpass the GTX 660 until the GTX 950. Though make sure you have a decent power supply; GTX 660 needed supplementary power and if you don't have a quality power supply, using the 750 Ti (as long as it's not one of the overclocked ones that need supplementary power) is safer.
I apreciate the rapid response. Like I said its been a long time since i've delt with anything pc, but i've come across alot of pc stuff from college kids tossing them in the trash,lol. I guess what ill do is use what i just found and buy from there, like ddr4 ram etc. this i7 did com liquid cooled and the case it is/was in is huge with alot of fans. guess it'll just take time to fix/re-connect <Mod Edit> and the worst part, wait a billion years to re-install windows,lol

Last edited by a moderator:

Gokuden7117

Prominent
Mar 28, 2019
btw lol trying to play red dead 2 on this setup sucks. i know its cpu limited, bout 25fps regardless of graphics setting lol so hopefully ill see an improvement after this "free" upgrade" ;)

Gokuden7117

Prominent
Mar 28, 2019
It will certainly be improved, but do note that the GPU is below the minimum requirements for the game, so there will still be significant limitations.
i know man. but like i said, i got all this hardware for free! But i pay for software though, i got gifted red dead 2 fro my nephew through steam a while back. so far pretty badass even at 22-28fps,lol. i think ill start over after i get this new equipment in order. I just bout a 4gb geforce whatever off craigslist for $25 so hopefully thatll help too! ;)

DSzymborski

Titan
i know man. but like i said, i got all this hardware for free! But i pay for software though, i got gifted red dead 2 fro my nephew through steam a while back. so far pretty badass even at 22-28fps,lol. i think ill start over after i get this new equipment in order. I just bout a 4gb geforce whatever off craigslist for $25 so hopefully thatll help too! ;)

What was the exact GPU? I can't imagine a $25 used GPU actually being an upgrade on a GTX 660.

TRENDING THREADS