[SOLVED] Been upgrading my old build but now it keeps shutting down while gaming

xoB

Mar 3, 2023
So few weeks ago i started upgrading my 4 year old pc. I went from Ryzen 5 2600 to 5800x but i immediately had issues with high temp. When playing games like Apex Legends or story game like Kingdome Come my pc kept shutting down when it reached 70°C and never went higer. So i got recommend to upgarde my PSU (went with Corsair RMx Series RM750x 750w) but after installing it my PC still kept shutting down at 70. So i did more research and put my CPU into Eco Mode in Ryzen Masters and in BIOS curve optimizer 20. So when playing Kingdome Come that caused my PC to shut down within minutes now my CPU temp is at steady 55-60°C but after like 30 minutes my PC still shuts down with temperature being around 58. When playing Apex Legends my CPU temperature is same and still shuts down after like 30 minutes of playing. Sometimes i can game for longer than 30 minutes and at times i boot up a game and PC shuts down in less than a minute.

Specs:
ASRock a320m-dvs r3.0
Nvidia rtx 2070 8gb
Ryzen 7 5800x
16gb RAM
Corsair RMx Series RM750x 750w
Cooler Master Hyper 212 LGA1700

Solution
I went from Ryzen 5 2600 to 5800x but i immediately had issues with high temp.
When playing games like Apex Legends or story game like Kingdome Come my pc kept shutting down when it reached 70°C and never went higer.
Probably vrms are overheating.
Your motherboard has no heatsinks on vrms.

Reduce clock speed and voltage for cpu.
Or get a better motherboard.
I went from Ryzen 5 2600 to 5800x but i immediately had issues with high temp.
When playing games like Apex Legends or story game like Kingdome Come my pc kept shutting down when it reached 70°C and never went higer.
Probably vrms are overheating.
Your motherboard has no heatsinks on vrms.

Reduce clock speed and voltage for cpu.
Or get a better motherboard.

Solution
This motherboard?

https://asrock.com/MB/AMD/A320M-DVS R3.0/index.asp

What cooler are you running on the cpu? I’m running a 5800x on an asrock ab350 pro 4 which I linked below.

The difference I see is that I don’t see much in the way of vrm cooling on your motherboard. My suspicion is what’s happening is maybe the vrms are getting too hot and perhaps the board is shutting down to protect itself.

I see you are using a hyper 212. Many of the tower coolers or aios don’t provide much in the way of airflow around the vrms. At least with the older style stock coolers such as a wraith prism, air would be forced down towards the board and at least give some airflow around the vrms. Perhaps if you can rig up a fan to blow into that area.

As a test, you might go into the bios and check to see if you can put your cpu into eco mode which I think makes it act more like a 65 watt cpu. I think the 5800x is 125 watts but can pull around 200 watts. Feel free to correct me if I’m wrong, it’s late lol. But if you put it into eco mode where it’s not drawing as much power then that may give a good idea what’s going on.

Reactions: kurdtnz

xoB

Mar 3, 2023
This motherboard?

https://asrock.com/MB/AMD/A320M-DVS R3.0/index.asp

What cooler are you running on the cpu? I’m running a 5800x on an asrock ab350 pro 4 which I linked below.

The difference I see is that I don’t see much in the way of vrm cooling on your motherboard. My suspicion is what’s happening is maybe the vrms are getting too hot and perhaps the board is shutting down to protect itself.

I see you are using a hyper 212. Many of the tower coolers or aios don’t provide much in the way of airflow around the vrms. At least with the older style stock coolers such as a wraith prism, air would be forced down towards the board and at least give some airflow around the vrms. Perhaps if you can rig up a fan to blow into that area.

As a test, you might go into the bios and check to see if you can put your cpu into eco mode which I think makes it act more like a 65 watt cpu. I think the 5800x is 125 watts but can pull around 200 watts. Feel free to correct me if I’m wrong, it’s late lol. But if you put it into eco mode where it’s not drawing as much power then that may give a good idea what’s going on.
I had eco mode on but the shut downs still occur.

Where are you located? I’d probably look at a decent b550 board. I’ve been happy with my asrock b350 board. I suppose you could go the route of selling the 5800x and getting something like an i5 13600k and a board. But you may not get much better performance.

Haven’t played with the newer boards but this is the later version of my board I think.

https://www.newegg.com/asrock-b550-pro4/p/N82E16813157941

I’ve heard good things about the steel legend to.

https://www.newegg.com/asrock-b550-steel-legend/p/N82E16813157937

But again I’m not as versed on the latest boards. I’ve been running my b350 board since 2017-18. Those are a couple I’d consider. Based on my experience I’d look at the pro 4 above. I would make a point to avoid any board without vrm heatsinks.

xoB

Mar 3, 2023
alright i've done some testing. I think the issue might be in airflow. I took the side panel off and everything has been running smoothly.

xoB

Mar 3, 2023
Honestly i don't know if it is a airflow issue at this point. The shut downs still happen. Each time pc has crashed the Event Viewer shows Error TPM Event ID 15.

What case do you have? If your airflow in the case isn’t good you may have issues. Some of the cases with a closed front aren’t good for airflow.

edit saw the link above. That case may be stopping some airflow. My case has a mesh front and I don’t have a lot of issues.