Beep Codes ...---... Full list at end of post.

oneeye_72

Honorable
Jul 14, 2012
For the Z77 extreme4, people are often referred to the manual for beep codes. I can't find any beep codes in the manual, at least in the downloaded one,

(I can't say for the one with the board, I'm still waiting for mine from Germany. So much for German efficiency, it been a week already.)

After a search of the ASRock site, I came up with this:-

http://www.asrock.com/support/faq.asp?k=beeps

It refers to the UEFI Bios Dr Debug displays and associated beeps.

I've not seen this reference anywhere else on 'TOM's, so I hope this helps.

There's not a lot of info there, but it may help some.

Perhaps someone with more knowledge of the subject could post a full list of codes and beeps.

If TOM's has a list somewhere, my apologies, but I've not seen it.

I know that D7=no keyboard and A2=no Hard Drive.

I know the Dr Debug codes are in the manual, but a plain ENGLISH explanation as above would be nice.

oneeye_72

Honorable
Jul 14, 2012
I finally got my bits from Germany yesterday and completed my build, I'll post the details of the build because it may help others.

I first tested the PSU (Corsair cx600 V3) on my old build and no fans, lights, zilch! My first thought "That's one to return."

Unplugged it, 'jumpered Green to ground', PSU fan spun, checked voltages, all in spec. Replugged in old build, still nothing.

Started 'breadboard' of new system, (Z77 Ext4 MoBo, i3-3225 CPU, 2x4GB kingston RAM,) very gently installed CPU, installed stock cooler.

Removed pezio speaker from old build, and plugged in new MoBo.

Plugged cx600 in, switched on, hit power button, joy of joys, fans lights, three long beeps and 53 (no memory) on Dr Debug.

Plugged mem in slot 2 and 4, got A6 (no SCCI), and no beep, tried various slots with single stick of memory, same result.

Thought I'd see how far 'Boot' had progressed, plugged VGA display and tried again.

Splash screen, then BIOS main screen, so I moved to 'Tweaker' DRAM Configuration, AUTO had set the DRAM Voltage to 1.58V.

Set Voltage to 1.65V (correct for my RAM) and checked VCCSA and VTT, both well in spec, 0.925V and 1.076V.
(I've since dropped the RAM to 1.6V, run memtest86+ for an hour with no errors, no change to VCCSA or VTT.)
(Also run PRIME with no CPU problems.)

Installed MoBo in Case, connected DVD and just the drive I wanted Windows to install on.

Installed Win7 no problems, updated all drivers from disk, but just AXTU from Utilities, I read somewhere the others are a pain.

Installed all Windows updates, and everything is working fine, although I still have no single beep on boot, no idea why.

The reason why the PSU didn't work on my old build, might be because of the 24 pin connector, it was an easy fit on old board,
but very, very tight on new board. Anyway I hope this 'Info' is of some use to someone.
EDIT: After a rethink, the problem was probably down to the fact that I only unplugged the 24 pin and the 12vpower(4pin on old board.)
Everything else was still plugged into the old PSU- GRIN.

oneeye_72

Honorable
Jul 14, 2012
I had a bit of trouble with Win7 after installing 'service pack 1', then some new updates wouldn't install.

Tried windows service FIX, but still no joy.

Did a 'restore' to before Service Pack 1, and re-installed it, since then all subsequent installs have been fine.

I love this set-up, its fast, responsive, and video playback is great.

I hope some of the above is of use to others, Toms Hardware has been a great help to me, so hope this
repays some of that 'debt.'

oneeye_72

Honorable
Jul 14, 2012
I finally found a decent List of Beep Codes, I hope this is of use to others.

AMI American Megatrends BIOS Beep Codes:

Beeps ----------- Error Message -------------- Description
1 short ------------ DRAM refresh failure -----The programmable interrupt timer or programmable interrupt controller has probably failed
2 short -------------Memory parity error-------- A memory parity error has occurred in the first 64K of RAM. The RAM IC is probably bad
3 short --------- Base 64K memory failure --- A memory failure has occurred in the first 64K of RAM. The RAM IC is probably bad
4 short ------------ System timer failure ------- The system clock/timer IC has failed or there is a memory error in the first bank of memory
5 short ------------ Processor error ------------- The system CPU has failed
6 short ------------ Gate A20 failure ------------ The keyboard controller IC has failed, which is not allowing Gate A20 to switch the processor to protected mode. - Replace the keyboard controller
7 short ---- Virtual mode processor exception error -- The CPU has generated an exception error because of a fault in the CPU or motherboard circuitry
8 short ----- Display memory read/write error ---------- The system video adapter is missing or defective
9 short ----- ROM checksum error ------ The contents of the system BIOS ROM does not match the expected checksum value. The BIOS ROM is probably defective and should be replaced
10 short ----- CMOS shutdown register read/write error -------- The shutdown for the CMOS has failed
11 short ----- Cache error --------------------------------------- The L2 cache is faulty
1 long, 2 short --- Failure in video system ------------ An error was encountered in the video BIOS ROM, or a horizontal retrace failure has been encountered
1 long, 3 short --- Memory test failure --------------- A fault has been detected in memory above 64KB
1 long, 8 short --- Display test failure ---------------- The video adapter is either missing or defective
2 short ------------- POST Failure ----------------------- One of the hardware tests have failed
1 long -------------- POST has passed all tests