Beep codes w/P4P800 SE

Can anyone tell me what it means when you're up and running and you
get a two-tone beep about every 15-20 min? I've got an Asus P4P800 SE
(1005 level BIOS) running Windows XP Home SP2 that's giving me these
two-tone beeps, and need to find out what they mean. The Asus PC Probe
utility seems to indicate all the temperatures and fans are OK, so I'm
really curious as to what it's trying to tell me! Any ideas? TIA

"Hula Baloo" <eepyeep@juno.com> wrote in message
> Can anyone tell me what it means when you're up and running and you get
> a two-tone beep about every 15-20 min? I've got an Asus P4P800 SE (1005
> level BIOS) running Windows XP Home SP2 that's giving me these two-tone
> beeps, and need to find out what they mean. The Asus PC Probe utility
> seems to indicate all the temperatures and fans are OK, so I'm really
> curious as to what it's trying to tell me! Any ideas? TIA

Maybe something is disconnecting in the background. Open up Control Panel
and go to Sounds and Audio Devices, go to the Sounds tab. Click on each
sound until you hear the two-tone beep.

I had this problem about a week ago. Went to the sounds tab and found out a
USB device was disconnecting and reconnecting. It was driving me crazy.
Turned out to be a flaky USB hub. Pulled it last night and it is already on
the curb headed for the local landfill.

Clark,
Thanks for the suggestion, but that doesn't seem to be it in my case.
The beeps are coming from the PC speaker, not the good speakers
connected to the audio card output. It appears that the BIOS is making
those beeps because it THINKS the CPU is overheating even though the
Asus PC Probe utility says the CPU is a comfortable 44C/111F. The beeps
are coming every 7 mins. as regular as Old Faithful. This thing is
still under warranty, so I guess I'll check in with the vendor as soon
as all the ice around here melts. I'd sure hate to think I'm slowly
cooking my CPU!
Clark Griswold wrote:
> "Hula Baloo" <eepyeep@juno.com> wrote in message
>
>> Can anyone tell me what it means when you're up and running and you get
>>a two-tone beep about every 15-20 min? I've got an Asus P4P800 SE (1005
>>level BIOS) running Windows XP Home SP2 that's giving me these two-tone
>>beeps, and need to find out what they mean. The Asus PC Probe utility
>>seems to indicate all the temperatures and fans are OK, so I'm really
>>curious as to what it's trying to tell me! Any ideas? TIA
>

> Maybe something is disconnecting in the background. Open up Control Panel
> and go to Sounds and Audio Devices, go to the Sounds tab. Click on each
> sound until you hear the two-tone beep.
>
> I had this problem about a week ago. Went to the sounds tab and found out a
> USB device was disconnecting and reconnecting. It was driving me crazy.
> Turned out to be a flaky USB hub. Pulled it last night and it is already on
> the curb headed for the local landfill.

TRENDING THREADS