noah

Hmmm. I'm in a library and my Dell is beeping every five minutes.
The speaker is muted, but I guess Dell's are old school and still
pipe the system beep through a separate channel.

Which wire do I cut??

It may be a Citrix problem. The remote machine is beeping, which
is making it's way to my system. If so, why isn't MY speaker mute
killing the remote sound? Well, I guess I'll go experiment with
Citrix to stop the remote/local sound thing.

from the on-line user guide provided with your computer...
"A low-battery warning occurs when the battery charge is approximately 90
percent depleted. The computer beeps once, indicating that minimal battery
operating time remains. During that time, the speaker beeps periodically. If
two batteries are installed, the low-battery warning means that the combined
charge of both batteries is approximately 90 percent depleted. The computer
enters hibernate mode when the battery charge is at a critically low level.
For more information on low-battery alarms, see "Power Management."

"Noah" <nfox@rohan.sdsu.edu> wrote in message
> Hmmm. I'm in a library and my Dell is beeping every five minutes.
> The speaker is muted, but I guess Dell's are old school and still
> pipe the system beep through a separate channel.
>
> Which wire do I cut??
>
> It may be a Citrix problem. The remote machine is beeping, which
> is making it's way to my system. If so, why isn't MY speaker mute
> killing the remote sound? Well, I guess I'll go experiment with
> Citrix to stop the remote/local sound thing.

noah

The beeps are caused by Outlook, which is running remotely via a Citrix
connection. I get beeps every time I get mail, which is quite often.
The beeps are quite loud and &*&%&* annoying.

- Outlook is beeping through Citrix into my machine.
- Citrix is configured to squelch the remote sound, but it's not.
- The D800 is supposed to mute sound, but it's not.
- Outlook is supposed to have some config to stop the beeps, but it
doesn't (97?)

So, seriously, if there is another speaker in this laptop for the
system bell, I want to know what wire to cut. :)

Christopher Muto <muto@worldnet.att.net> wrote:
> from the on-line user guide provided with your computer...
> "A low-battery warning occurs when the battery charge is approximately 90
> percent depleted. The computer beeps once, indicating that minimal battery
> operating time remains. During that time, the speaker beeps periodically. If
> two batteries are installed, the low-battery warning means that the combined
> charge of both batteries is approximately 90 percent depleted. The computer
> enters hibernate mode when the battery charge is at a critically low level.
> For more information on low-battery alarms, see "Power Management."

> "Noah" <nfox@rohan.sdsu.edu> wrote in message
>> Hmmm. I'm in a library and my Dell is beeping every five minutes.
>> The speaker is muted, but I guess Dell's are old school and still
>> pipe the system beep through a separate channel.
>>
>> Which wire do I cut??
>>
>> It may be a Citrix problem. The remote machine is beeping, which
>> is making it's way to my system. If so, why isn't MY speaker mute
>> killing the remote sound? Well, I guess I'll go experiment with
>> Citrix to stop the remote/local sound thing.

Roadrunner

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2004

Try OE Tools-->Options-->General tab (right in front of you)
uncheck "Play sound when new messages arrive" (in middle of display)

> The beeps are caused by Outlook, which is running remotely via a Citrix
> connection. I get beeps every time I get mail, which is quite often.
> The beeps are quite loud and &*&%&* annoying.
>
> - Outlook is beeping through Citrix into my machine.
> - Citrix is configured to squelch the remote sound, but it's not.
> - The D800 is supposed to mute sound, but it's not.
> - Outlook is supposed to have some config to stop the beeps, but it
> doesn't (97?)
>
> So, seriously, if there is another speaker in this laptop for the
> system bell, I want to know what wire to cut. :)
>

> Christopher Muto <muto@worldnet.att.net> wrote:
> > from the on-line user guide provided with your computer...
> > "A low-battery warning occurs when the battery charge is approximately
90
> > percent depleted. The computer beeps once, indicating that minimal
battery
> > operating time remains. During that time, the speaker beeps
periodically. If
> > two batteries are installed, the low-battery warning means that the
combined
> > charge of both batteries is approximately 90 percent depleted. The
computer
> > enters hibernate mode when the battery charge is at a critically low
level.
> > For more information on low-battery alarms, see "Power Management."
>
> > "Noah" <nfox@rohan.sdsu.edu> wrote in message
> >> Hmmm. I'm in a library and my Dell is beeping every five minutes.
> >> The speaker is muted, but I guess Dell's are old school and still
> >> pipe the system beep through a separate channel.
> >>
> >> Which wire do I cut??
> >>
> >> It may be a Citrix problem. The remote machine is beeping, which
> >> is making it's way to my system. If so, why isn't MY speaker mute
> >> killing the remote sound? Well, I guess I'll go experiment with
> >> Citrix to stop the remote/local sound thing.

There are 2 speakers... because is stereo.... no other speakers .... If you
are so pissed just disable the sound device driver in control panel... no
device(driver)= no sound

--

------Splitskull-----

"Noah" <nfox@rohan.sdsu.edu> wrote in message
| The beeps are caused by Outlook, which is running remotely via a Citrix
| connection. I get beeps every time I get mail, which is quite often.
| The beeps are quite loud and &*&%&* annoying.
|
| - Outlook is beeping through Citrix into my machine.
| - Citrix is configured to squelch the remote sound, but it's not.
| - The D800 is supposed to mute sound, but it's not.
| - Outlook is supposed to have some config to stop the beeps, but it
| doesn't (97?)
|
| So, seriously, if there is another speaker in this laptop for the
| system bell, I want to know what wire to cut. :)
|

| Christopher Muto <muto@worldnet.att.net> wrote:
| > from the on-line user guide provided with your computer...
| > "A low-battery warning occurs when the battery charge is approximately
90
| > percent depleted. The computer beeps once, indicating that minimal
battery
| > operating time remains. During that time, the speaker beeps
periodically. If
| > two batteries are installed, the low-battery warning means that the
combined
| > charge of both batteries is approximately 90 percent depleted. The
computer
| > enters hibernate mode when the battery charge is at a critically low
level.
| > For more information on low-battery alarms, see "Power Management."
|
| > "Noah" <nfox@rohan.sdsu.edu> wrote in message
| >> Hmmm. I'm in a library and my Dell is beeping every five minutes.
| >> The speaker is muted, but I guess Dell's are old school and still
| >> pipe the system beep through a separate channel.
| >>
| >> Which wire do I cut??
| >>
| >> It may be a Citrix problem. The remote machine is beeping, which
| >> is making it's way to my system. If so, why isn't MY speaker mute
| >> killing the remote sound? Well, I guess I'll go experiment with
| >> Citrix to stop the remote/local sound thing.

ask your citrix administrator to disable the sound associated with 'new
mail' for terminal sessions with your login. or change the frequency that
email is automatically checked by outlook to longer than 5 minuets. or
simply leave outlook closed until you want to check for new mail. cutting a
speaker wire is eliminating the symptom but not the cause and has other
implications (post beep codes will not sound which help considerably with
diagnosing hardware failures). it would not be the wise thing to do.

Splitskull <someone@somewhere.com> wrote:
> There are 2 speakers... because is stereo.... no other speakers .... If you
> are so pissed just disable the sound device driver in control panel... no
> device(driver)= no sound

> --

BIOS traps aren't governed by the sound driver. (Meaningless to
non-programmers, but put simply, there's no way to stop a this
laptop from firing off a 90db tone.)

It's alright tho. I found a good solution. The D800 is in my
trunk smothered under some laundry. G5's are slick. To do:
sell D800, buy Apple.

that is about as logical as looking for a wire to cut. sorry that i
actually took your question seriously only to find that you were just
trooling.

> Splitskull <someone@somewhere.com> wrote:
> > There are 2 speakers... because is stereo.... no other speakers .... If
you
> > are so pissed just disable the sound device driver in control panel...
no
> > device(driver)= no sound
>
> > --
>
> BIOS traps aren't governed by the sound driver. (Meaningless to
> non-programmers, but put simply, there's no way to stop a this
> laptop from firing off a 90db tone.)
>
> It's alright tho. I found a good solution. The D800 is in my
> trunk smothered under some laundry. G5's are slick. To do:
> sell D800, buy Apple.

noah

Christopher Muto <muto@worldnet.att.net> wrote:
> dude, have you lost your mind? you asked a question, get a reply, and
> respond with insults. yet you say others fail to be open minded? did you

Hey Chris, paste the insult RIGHT HERE. Let's stomp this annoyance.

> even think about what i suggested? probably not.

Absolutely not. You offered no solution besides agreeing to my solution
to shutdown the system. Otherwise, for your first reply, you failed
to read the question. You patronizingly read my manual to me. I chose
to ignore you.

Unfortunately you keep invading my thread with no useful discussion.
So I'm addressing you directly on how you haunt this group just as much
as you help. Stop acting like a know it all.

> i have i remind myself
> who am i talking to; a guy who thinks that the solution to a citrix
> configuration problem is to buy a new computer. best of luck to you.

A friend's car alarm malfunctioned at a funeral. Not only did I help
disconnect the battery, I helped remove the alarm that night.
It's a machine Chris. Because you won't look into the black box
doesn't mean others can't.

If it helps your ego, it's not Dell's fault. It's the system bios rom, the
heritage, and a driver that possibly could trap the beep. It's also outdated
software at my work place.

But all said, the mute should still make the laptop silent. My next laptop
will be Apple. I've been very happy with my iBook. OSX makes it much
more of a cross platform solution. And Apple is finally solving some of
the latest system problems (which is why I'm typing from a D800 to begin
with).

If this is your insult, you are one sad little pussy. Toughen the skin
up and be a man. Listen to ideas that are contrary to your own and
take rejection of advice gracefully. You seem to think because you
said it I should do it.

you are really confused. whatever i did to get so deeply embedded into your
psyche that you has disturbed you so greatly to need to insult me and that
you consider me a 'know it all' is something i don't get, but i am proud of
it. it makes me think i have powers that i didn't know that i had. you
being disturbed by a suggestion that the your poorly described beeping in
your original post could possibly be a low battery alarm, corroborated by
the description in the manual, is comment on how closed minded and defensive
you are. why so angry dude? why not just say "thanks, i should have
mentioned that i thought of that but that wasn't it..." and then move on.
you still haven't responded to the citrix terminal session configuration
suggestion. in short, you seem so upset with this problem that i think you
are just here to complain and not to really find a solution. that would be
consistent with your wacky remark about selling your dell and buying an
apple. but that said i like to say that i found your alarm story funny
despite that it has little to do with windows, citrix, and outlook... funny
because it seems that you aren't the only person you know with electronics
that beep at inappropriate times and because you seem to consistently look
for unconventional solutions to solve symptoms instead of trying to solve
the actual problem. and that's fine as long as it makes you happy, but you
don't appear to be very happy.

> Christopher Muto <muto@worldnet.att.net> wrote:
> > dude, have you lost your mind? you asked a question, get a reply, and
> > respond with insults. yet you say others fail to be open minded? did
you

> Hey Chris, paste the insult RIGHT HERE. Let's stomp this annoyance.

> > even think about what i suggested? probably not.
>
> Absolutely not. You offered no solution besides agreeing to my solution
> to shutdown the system. Otherwise, for your first reply, you failed
> to read the question. You patronizingly read my manual to me. I chose
> to ignore you.
>
> Unfortunately you keep invading my thread with no useful discussion.
> So I'm addressing you directly on how you haunt this group just as much
> as you help. Stop acting like a know it all.
>
> > i have i remind myself
> > who am i talking to; a guy who thinks that the solution to a citrix
> > configuration problem is to buy a new computer. best of luck to you.
>
> A friend's car alarm malfunctioned at a funeral. Not only did I help
> disconnect the battery, I helped remove the alarm that night.
> It's a machine Chris. Because you won't look into the black box
> doesn't mean others can't.
>
> If it helps your ego, it's not Dell's fault. It's the system bios rom,
the
> heritage, and a driver that possibly could trap the beep. It's also
outdated
> software at my work place.
>
> But all said, the mute should still make the laptop silent. My next
laptop
> will be Apple. I've been very happy with my iBook. OSX makes it much
> more of a cross platform solution. And Apple is finally solving some of
> the latest system problems (which is why I'm typing from a D800 to begin
> with).
>
> If this is your insult, you are one sad little pussy. Toughen the skin
> up and be a man. Listen to ideas that are contrary to your own and
> take rejection of advice gracefully. You seem to think because you
> said it I should do it.

noah

I don't think you've answered my direct questions yet Chris, either the first
inquiry about the BEEP from a Lat D800 or the second inquiry (made at least
twice) about your insulted feelings. If you can't answer them, why keep
posting??? Just say the obvious. I don't know a good solution to the
beeping. And you weren't insulted (well, until the gloves came off)

I think you haunt Usenet because it gives you a sense of control and a
feeling of superiority. Most good technical answers on Usenet do not come from
general purpose geeks, they come from people who have very specific
experience with the exact configuration. GOOD answers. That doesn't
mean a mediocre generalized answer doesn't help.

The fact that you post so much to such a wide range of topics only
shows you have no respect for meaningful targeted answers.
It's like a race to see (among a few type-Mutos) who can post first
in some psuedo-authorative way. It's a showoff of clowns.

For beginners, generalized advice helps. But every post doesn't need to be
subject to the same attention. Posts with technical sophistication with five
Type-Mutos screaming "upgrade the BIOS" isn't helpful in my opinion.

Don't stop on my advice, just consider it. You came into this thread
going after me, not the other way around. You offered nothing, which
is common enough, but kept at it for some control freak reason.

Sorry, can't play anymore. Today anyway. No hard feelings, champ.

> [...]

>> doesn't mean others can't.
>>
>> If it helps your ego, it's not Dell's fault. It's the system bios rom,
> the
>> heritage, and a driver that possibly could trap the beep. It's also
> outdated
>> software at my work place.
>>
>> But all said, the mute should still make the laptop silent. My next
> laptop
>> will be Apple. I've been very happy with my iBook. OSX makes it much
>> more of a cross platform solution. And Apple is finally solving some of
>> the latest system problems (which is why I'm typing from a D800 to begin
>> with).
>>
>> If this is your insult, you are one sad little pussy. Toughen the skin
>> up and be a man. Listen to ideas that are contrary to your own and
>> take rejection of advice gracefully. You seem to think because you

wow, you need help. and despite you thinking that i am i know it all, i
admit that i don't have a degree in psychology and so can't help you with
your problem. but i encourage you to seek someone that does. seriously,
this must go way deeper then your petty hostility toward me. it could be a
wake up call for you to change your life for the better. take your own
advice and be open minded about it.

> [...]
> >>
> >> If it helps your ego, it's not Dell's fault. It's the system bios rom,
> > the
> >> heritage, and a driver that possibly could trap the beep. It's also
> > outdated
> >> software at my work place.
> >>
> >> But all said, the mute should still make the laptop silent. My next
> > laptop
> >> will be Apple. I've been very happy with my iBook. OSX makes it much
> >> more of a cross platform solution. And Apple is finally solving some
of
> >> the latest system problems (which is why I'm typing from a D800 to
begin
> >> with).
> >>
> >> If this is your insult, you are one sad little pussy. Toughen the skin
> >> up and be a man. Listen to ideas that are contrary to your own and
> >> take rejection of advice gracefully. You seem to think because you

noah

Chris, it seems alt.sys.pc-clone.dell is very important to you.
Have your cake and eat it too, Dell Man. You rule the coop.

> [...]

>> > suggestion. in short, you seem so upset with this problem that i think
> you
>> > are just here to complain and not to really find a solution. that would
> be
>> > consistent with your wacky remark about selling your dell and buying an
>> > apple. but that said i like to say that i found your alarm story funny
>> > despite that it has little to do with windows, citrix, and outlook...
> funny
>> > because it seems that you aren't the only person you know with
> electronics
>> > that beep at inappropriate times and because you seem to consistently
> look
>> > for unconventional solutions to solve symptoms instead of trying to
> solve
>> > the actual problem. and that's fine as long as it makes you happy, but

Glad to see we're all friends again. Lets move on, shall we? We get enough
trolls in this group - no need for intelligent people to bicker with each
other.

Rocky

> [...]
> >>
> >> The fact that you post so much to such a wide range of topics only
> >> shows you have no respect for meaningful targeted answers.
> >> It's like a race to see (among a few type-Mutos) who can post first
> >> in some psuedo-authorative way. It's a showoff of clowns.
> >>
> >> For beginners, generalized advice helps. But every post doesn't need
> > be
> >> subject to the same attention. Posts with technical sophistication
with
> > five
> >> Type-Mutos screaming "upgrade the BIOS" isn't helpful in my opinion.
> >>
> >> Don't stop on my advice, just consider it. You came into this thread
> >> going after me, not the other way around. You offered nothing, which
> >> is common enough, but kept at it for some control freak reason.
> >>
> >> Sorry, can't play anymore. Today anyway. No hard feelings, champ.

manners are important to me. you post a question, get and answer, and
instead of either just ignoring it, or politely responding and trying to
engage in a discussion (that is why you came here right? this is a
discussion group), you respond by going on the attack. your behavior is
rude and illogical and doesn't encourage any onlookers to offer you any
insight into your computer problem. your additional posts are filled with
smart ass remarks ('solution found; put laptop under blankets', and 'to do:
sell pc buy apple') and exaggerations provide further evidence of your poor
judgment. i can appreciate that you may be so very frustrated by this
beeping problem that escapes your comprehension that it can make you very
angry; so angry that you find yourself misdirecting that anger at someone
that might actually be trying to help you. that seems to be the case here.
at least i would like to think that you don't always behave this way. let's
hope your new apple will help you find some inner peace.