Beeping/chirping sound from both PSU and GPU

alexis.schek

Prominent
Nov 1, 2017
Hello,

I've built a new rig with MSI GTX 1080Ti Gaming X inside.
I have an issue - there's pretty loud noise (not a coil whine) under heavy load which sounds like a bird chirping.
It came from PSU EVGA 750 BQ and I replaced it with ROSEWILL Gaming 80 750W, but the issue still there and now I think the noise comes not only from PSU but from GPU as well and they both perfectly synced and sound exactly the same (to test I moved PSU far from case).
Please take a look at these videos (old and new PSU)
[video="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0M5xczOgwWI"][/video]
[video="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8spn07zi5U"][/video]

Thanks for help!

Solution
Uhhh....if your light bulb is flickering in the same pattern then this is an issue with the wiring in your place. I would get an electrician to take a look at it. I used to live in an old place which had exact issue you're describing with lights, but also with other things, and it absolutely blew my brand new psu within a span of a year. Sensitive electronics as you can imagine, don't respond well to such variation in power. My advice is get a surge protector but also absolutely get an electrician in if you can, to look at your wiring.

Sedivy

Estimable
It sounds like a squeaky wheel except it was a fan I'd expect it to be higher frequency of squeaking than what you hear.
You sure it's coming from gpu this time? Could it be a case fan or if you have an aio, a pump? Is the case touching anything other than the floor?

alexis.schek

Prominent
Nov 1, 2017

It's not a mechanical sound and it's not coming from fans or case. Fans rotate silently and the sound starts under full GPU load only (I assume when energy consumption is high).
It's definitely coming from both PSU's I tried (attached videos), but in addition it's coming from GPU itself (though I'm not 100% sure about this).

I sent first video to EVGA tech support, and they said I may RMA. But second PSU is doing exactly the same sound, so I got stuck.

alexis.schek

Prominent
Nov 1, 2017

I tried different outlets but not with surge protector, will do it, thank you!

Sedivy

Estimable
Hmm if it's not power related, and not fans, and nothing to do with other components, really hard to tell.
Do you have any other computers or any friends with computers where you can just quickly swap in your psu instead of theirs, to check if it's doing it in their system or just in yours?

alexis.schek

Prominent
Nov 1, 2017
Yes, thanks, I'll try doing this.
How do you think, is that possible that I need more high-quality/expensive PSU for this GPU?
Or that something is wrong with MoBo?

Sedivy

Estimable
Well...I would say you got another bad psu but that's unlikely two in a row like that. It could be something with a mobo but I've never heard mobo make sounds like that. Typically you need some moving components for those sounds.
Based on just sound, I can't tell. But testing with a different rig one component at a time is your best bet for narrowing down the issue to a single part.

alexis.schek

Prominent
Nov 1, 2017
Follow up.
I think I found the culprit - it's somehow related to power consumption.
I'm using this GPU to run some deep neural net learning, and indeed I was using exactly the same NN for each noise test.
Most probably the chirping sound corresponds to some data processing pattern for this NN, since if I run different NN sound chages!
I think sound itself is coming from inductors on GPU and PSU.
One additional evidence is that my light bulb (in the same room PC is running) is flickering with excatly the same pattern as sound does - might be some power consumption peaks/oscillations.

Sedivy

Estimable
Uhhh....if your light bulb is flickering in the same pattern then this is an issue with the wiring in your place. I would get an electrician to take a look at it. I used to live in an old place which had exact issue you're describing with lights, but also with other things, and it absolutely blew my brand new psu within a span of a year. Sensitive electronics as you can imagine, don't respond well to such variation in power. My advice is get a surge protector but also absolutely get an electrician in if you can, to look at your wiring.

Solution