[SOLVED] Beeping sound and 100% disk usage

Alaa Ali

Commendable
Feb 29, 2020
I have replaced my HDD with an SSD, after this I noticed a beeping sound coming from my laptop followed by 100% disk usage, and the laptop freezes for a certain period (could be minutes) and then returns to normal, this happens a couple of times a day or whenever there is any kind of load on the disk, like installing new software or even decompressing some files.

As far as I know, SSDs do not make sounds and the beeping sounds are coming from my MOBO. When I check the event viewer I can see a particular event that happens whenever I hear the beeps, the event description would say "Reset to device, \Device\RaidPort0, was issued.". Taking a look at the task manager you can see that the disk usage is 100% but at a very low speed like 0.1MB or something like that with no particular process utilizing all that amount of disk usage as can be seen in this screenshot: View: https://imgur.com/a/pu1U0lZ

I ran some SSD health checks which all assured me that my SSD is good and there is no SSD hardware fault whatsoever. So, what do you think I should do at this point, should I perhaps replace my SSD, or is it a problem with my MOBO itself?

Solution
The sound in the record is faint, but I recognize it as probably being coil whine.

If the OS hangs when this occurs it may be a fault on a voltage regulator on the mobo, which in turn causes unstable voltage and therefore the other components not working properly for a period of time or until emergency functions taking place (shut-down).

Or it could be caused by a short circuit on the motherboard or one of the components, that will cause same problems. That is you'll probably not being able to tell the difference - unless you can find a way to directly measure the current from the battery when it happens.

Ok reading the first post over again I realized you swapped the hdd into a ssd. Could it be you simply have got a defective model...

Alaa Ali

Commendable
Feb 29, 2020
If you hear any beeping, it would be very loud, that would come from the cpu only if it was overheating and a automatic crash happened.
Reboot Check your pre post - uefi system diagnostic and see whats going on.

It can't be CPU overheating as this problem sometimes happens while the CPU is completely idle, I ran some test using Toshiba diagnostic tool and nothing is wrong as it says. I might have not explained the sound correctly though, it is more like a high pitch sound, that is not loud.

Alaa Ali

Commendable
Feb 29, 2020
Then record and upload the sound.

As you can hear in the recording, the fan and cpu are running at full power, then you can hear the weak sound in the background and immediately after that the fan and cpu go down because the whole computer freezes after this sound the disk usage jumps to 100%

The sound in the record is faint, but I recognize it as probably being coil whine.

If the OS hangs when this occurs it may be a fault on a voltage regulator on the mobo, which in turn causes unstable voltage and therefore the other components not working properly for a period of time or until emergency functions taking place (shut-down).

Or it could be caused by a short circuit on the motherboard or one of the components, that will cause same problems. That is you'll probably not being able to tell the difference - unless you can find a way to directly measure the current from the battery when it happens.

Ok reading the first post over again I realized you swapped the hdd into a ssd. Could it be you simply have got a defective model? Have you tried to swap back to your old hdd to see if it still happens ?

Solution

Alaa Ali

Commendable
Feb 29, 2020

Ok reading the first post over again I realized you swapped the hdd into a ssd. Could it be you simply have got a defective model? Have you tried to swap back to your old hdd to see if it still happens ?

I haven't because my old HDD is dead, R.I.P. However, last week, I tried to run Ubuntu from a live USB and I faced the same issue whenever I am installing, writing, or reading data, which is basically using the disk. Except, this time there was no sound whatsoever, just a temporary system freeze.