Beeping sound! Please please help

sigh129

Prominent
Oct 27, 2017
Hello
I just switched on my laptop and it made an intense beeping sound with a blackscreen. I looked it up and it said it has to do something with hardware failure.
After a while, like 10 mins, when I pressed the power button it booted normally. I wanted to determine the beep code as to know which of the hardware is affected but it didn't beep the second time.
Last night when I shut down, it was good although I remember it giving me an error. Does it also has anything to do with overheating? I may have used it for 24 hours in the past few days. It's a 3-4 years old Dell Inspiron 3542 Intel i3 4005U with 4GB of RAM.

What do I do? please help

High temps result in contraction/expansion of metals. Sometimes that will be translated as a bad contact between your ram and the motherboard. If it keeps doing this you may have to open it up, remove ram, clean the slots and re-seat them firmly. How many beeps? Try to mark the beep code. Each one should tell the problem but it's more than possible it is the ram.

sigh129

Prominent
Oct 27, 2017

I wanted to mark the beep code the second time but it booted normally. What are the chances of it happening once again if you had to guess?

You cannot guess. It may happen today, it may not happen again. But as long as it does it again in the upcoming days then it's time to have it sorted

sigh129

Prominent
Oct 27, 2017
Oh okay! Also does it in any way affect the HDD? I have 600 GB of data that I'd not like to lose. If this does happen again, would my data remain intact?

Download and install hard disk sentinel, it helps to warn you when your hdd is about to fail.
I don't live without it.