Beeps without RAM, no beeps with RAM.

pumpkins7

Reputable
Oct 18, 2015
I am building a new system. Some of the parts are used. I went through an extensive guide to try and localize the source of the issue as the system won't start or beep.

I am currently breadboarding the system to find the issue. The PSU is a brand new 500W from EVGA. When I power the system with only the CPU and HSF installed, I get beeps indicating there is no RAM installed. I DO know what this means and it is exactly what I expected. However, once I install the RAM module in the slot indicated in the mobo manual, I get no beeps or display.

I am connecting to the mobo with a vga cable but, regardless, I should get beeps indicating no keyboard if it were POSTing correctly, no? I only handled and assembled components while connected to my plugged in (but powered off) PSU with a static wrist band.

The motherboard and cpu are used. Again, the PSU is brand new. The RAM is supposedly new but it was purchased on ebay and came in an unsealed package so I have no way of verifying that.

Any ideas or help is greatly appreciated!

Steps I've taken:
1. Went through no-boot checklist: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-perform-steps-posting-post-boot-video-problems
2. used static guard throughout process
3. Breadboarded build with only CPU and HSF. Received "no RAM" beeps
4. Installed RAM module in appropriate slot. Now receive NO beeps
5. replaced mobo battery and reset CMOS. (Have NOT left battery out for an extended period of time, yet...)

Specs:
ASUS Z170M
i5-6600k
Seven 8gb DDR4 2133MHz
Intel HSF
EVGA 500 B PSU
New EVGA 1050 (although I have not bothered with trying to install is yet.)
M.2 250GB ssd