piepork

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2009
This is my first computer build and before I buy just want to make sure everything will work together fine.

PSU : 520W Corsair HX Series Modular PSU

MOBO: Asus-M4A79-T-Deluxe

GPU: XFX GTX 260 XT

CPU: AMD PII X3 720BE

Optical: LG GH22LS30

HDD: WD Caviar Black 640GB

Memory: Corsair 4GB DDR3 10666C9 1333MHz XMS3 TwinX Dual Channel Kit (2x2GB)

Cooler: Sunbeam Core Contact Freezer CPU Cooler

Case: Coolermaster CM690 V2 Dominator

Will be used for primarily for gaming. Am I missing out anything? Will I need to buy any extra cables or anything like that? Any comments/suggestions are appreciated.

xthekidx

Splendid
Dec 24, 2008
Don't use two lower powered cards that doesn't make sense. I would swap in a xfire capable card though since you are spending that money on a nice xfire mobo. Get a 4870 1gb GPU so that you can xfire it in a year when that GPU isn't quite cutting it. Using both of your PCIEx16 now with low-end gaming cards is stupid.

dougie_boy

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2006

what? with DX11 in the next year, why leave an upgrade path to (what will be) dated hardware?
why not chose a dual card setup which is faster than a single card one for the same price?

i say get a 4830 Xfire setup and just upgrade to a single or dual faster card when the system is not suitable for your needs

MykC

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2008
I believe running SLI/Crossfire and spending money to have that upgrade path is generally a waste of money. I looked at a recent steam hardware survey which showed only 2% of the boxes out there are running two or more GPUs. Given the way the PC gaming landscape has moved since Crysis flopped (and the fact the most games are aimed at console hardware first and PC hardware second), I would bet a 4870 or GTX 260 XT will still kill games in a year.

What resolution do you play at and do you like to have AA/AF? How often do you upgrade?

I think the 520HX is a good powersupply (good efficency and low noise) and I personally prefer modular PSUs. With that said I don't know much about the Silverstone PSU in terms of efficency and its noise level.

I'd consider going with a AM2+ board instead of AM3. Making the move will save you money on the board and the memory while sacrificing litte performance. With the money you save you can easily move into a faster CPU or GPU to more than make up the difference.

Helloworld_98

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2009
Well silverstone is seasonic's brand name so it is going to be a quality power supply.

@MyKc Doubt 4870's and 260's will still own in games in a year, since they'll probably take a pc down to crysis fps's. Also am3 boards are a saviour if you plan to upgrade your cpu since amd announced the 2010 cpu's would be ddr3 only.