Before Upgrading to Windows 7, Grab This!

Status
Not open for further replies.

cookies

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2009
I have to say, this is cool. Though I don't know if I'd trust it to go through the installs correctly. I often do quirky little things during install. Now, if I could set up a batch of program configurations with it I'd be really excited.

G

The programs are downloaded from their respective websites; and the installations happen without problems.
Sponsored links like yahoo toolbar or equals are ignored!

VGM10000

Distinguished
May 1, 2009
You know, that REALLY looks like a screenshot of the software in OS X. Sort of like when Ballmer was on Today displaying all sorts of Win 7 computers and the image behind him was of a MacBook Pro.

JonathanDeane

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
I sort of do this already. I have a folder with the installers for all my favorite aps. What happens is when I need to reinstall or upgrade the OS or just fix up some ones PC, I update all the files in that folder (sometimes they do not need to be...) But this ap looks like it could speed that up for me, so I am going to try it out.

Codesmith

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2003
Yes you can do all that yourself. 66% of the programs out there have installers that accept command line switches. The ones that don't you can write an AutoIt Script to recognize the install screens and click the right buttons .. and there are programs that will let you bundle it all up in a single installer ....

I used one disc to automatically install Windows, one to apply all the patches and a 3rd to install software.

But the time it saved wasn't justified by the number of installs I'd perform before having to update it.

This site does all that work for you ... for a limited selection or programs. :)

Drag0nR1der

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2007
[citation][nom]VGM10000[/nom]You know, that REALLY looks like a screenshot of the software in OS X. Sort of like when Ballmer was on Today displaying all sorts of Win 7 computers and the image behind him was of a MacBook Pro.[/citation]

Could be either tbh, although the one below is def. windows. Don't see how it matters much, as its the program itself being discussed.

I currently install all my programs to a seperate drive (just partition really), which allows me to minimise the amount of space I need to back up my system files for quick recovery (not that I've ever needed to yet), will this let you choose a different drive to the default C drive to install to?

ano

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2009
[citation][nom]VGM10000[/nom]You know, that REALLY looks like a screenshot of the software in OS X. Sort of like when Ballmer was on Today displaying all sorts of Win 7 computers and the image behind him was of a MacBook Pro.[/citation]

yeah yeah yeah....

a typical Apple fanboy's day dreaming...!!

Drag0nR1der

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2007
Hehe, just seen the Bullmer demo on Today, yep, def a MacBook pro, love it when people with no clue get it amusingly wrong. Worked out ok though, did a good job of being nondescript enough to not upstage the products being displayed... which all generally had a fair amount of aesthetic appeal, all except that ghastly gaming rig, though, what were they thinking, they could have had something really nice there instead. Oh well.

Drag0nR1der

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2007
Hehe, just seen the Bullmer demo on Today, yep, def a MacBook pro, love it when people with no clue get it amusingly wrong. Worked out ok though, did a good job of being nondescript enough to not upstage the products being displayed... which all generally had a fair amount of aesthetic appeal, all except that ghastly gaming rig, though, what were they thinking, they could have had something really nice there instead. Oh well.

sailfish

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2007
If I'm doing an upgrade rather than a full install, why is this necessary? Doesn't an upgrade leave my existing Vista apps still there?

Drag0nR1der

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2007
ewww, upgrade. Fresh install is usually better, I had heard they were improving the w7 upgrade method a lot, but then heard nothing about it near launch so maybe they never got round to it. Luckily for me having everything on seperate drives meant all i had to do was install a few prog's and remap my document folders to the right place.

Darkness Flame

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2008
This is definitely a very nifty little tool. I'm quite glad it has The KMPlayer; my personal media player of choice.

Had to ask for Daemon Tools though. Asked for Steam too, just because I could. Ohh, and Katawa Shoujo, because more people need to read that.

DjEaZy

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2008
... it's good for the first time... but, if you use the package after reinstall may be, the the software included gonna be out of date... so you need to make a new one...

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS