BEFW11S4 Wireless stopped working

I have a BEFW11S4 v2 and I had left for vacation and unplugged the
router, the modem, and the computer attached to the router from the
power. When I came back and plugged everything back in, everything
worked. I turned my other computer on, and the wireless worked. The
next day, it didn't. The light showed it on and everything. No
problem. But I tried on different computers (different cards) and it
still didnt work. I toggled wireless on/off, reset settings, changed
the channel, upgraded firmware, EVERYTHING (I'm a tech-support person,
so I know how to troubleshoot stuff and all). I finally bought a new
router, but I still want this wireless to work. The router still works
for the wired portion and all.

I also couldn't figure out how to open it. Any help?

Thanks!

Lance

Huh? If it doesn't work how did you update the firmware?

Try a hard reset, not just a power reset. Press and hold the reset
button on the back of the unit for 5-30 seconds (opinions vary on the
length of time). Use a pencil or pen to ensure the button is fully
depressed.

If this works, you'll have to re-enter any special settings you used
previously.

Lance
*****

Jerr wrote:
> I have a BEFW11S4 v2 and I had left for vacation and unplugged the
> router, the modem, and the computer attached to the router from the
> power. When I came back and plugged everything back in, everything
> worked. I turned my other computer on, and the wireless worked. The
> next day, it didn't. The light showed it on and everything. No
> problem. But I tried on different computers (different cards) and it
> still didnt work. I toggled wireless on/off, reset settings, changed
> the channel, upgraded firmware, EVERYTHING (I'm a tech-support person,
> so I know how to troubleshoot stuff and all). I finally bought a new
> router, but I still want this wireless to work. The router still works
> for the wired portion and all.
>
> I also couldn't figure out how to open it. Any help?
>
> Thanks!

In additon to what Lance suggested, reboot the modem, leaving the power
off for maybe a minute. This clears the MAC address table in the modem
and allows it to connect freshly to the router. Your modem diagnostics
can be seen at http://192.168.100.1. Check the transmission power and
noise against the modem FAQ at http://www.broadbandreports.com Your
router is usually found at http://192.168.X.1 where X is 0 or 1. Check
the user manual.

The wired portion still works. I did do the hard reset. Still does not
work. I use netstumbler to see if there is any link nearby, and I
check with the MAC address on the bottom of the router. Still no
signal. I had even tried putting it RIGHT next to the WiFi card, and I
still get no signal from that router.

On 11 Sep 2004 11:19:52 -0700, jerr0328@gmail.com (Jerr) wrote:

>I have a BEFW11S4 v2 and I had left for vacation and unplugged the
>router, the modem, and the computer attached to the router from the
>power. When I came back and plugged everything back in, everything
>worked. I turned my other computer on, and the wireless worked. The
>next day, it didn't. The light showed it on and everything. No
>problem. But I tried on different computers (different cards) and it
>still didnt work. I toggled wireless on/off, reset settings, changed
>the channel, upgraded firmware, EVERYTHING (I'm a tech-support person,
>so I know how to troubleshoot stuff and all). I finally bought a new
>router, but I still want this wireless to work. The router still works
>for the wired portion and all.

OK. Wired works, wireless does not.
Let's try the rhetorical questions mode and see if you missed
anything.
Is the wireless enabled on the "wireless" settings page?
Did you turn off any IP address filtering?
Did you turn off any MAC address filtering?
Are you able to access the BEFW11S4 setup page?
Did you try it with WEP encryption turned off?
Is the "Wireless-B" light flashing with wireless traffic?
Did you remember to do a reset to defaults after the firmware update?
Can you see the router with Netstumbler?

Reset the router with the reset button on the back. You'll need to
hold it down for about 30 seconds to do a grand reset back to
defaults. Plug all your settings back in and try again.

>I also couldn't figure out how to open it. Any help?

Easy. Flip it over and notice the the legs have rubber plugs. There
are screws under the rubber plugs. It should just fall apart after
the screws come out.

Welcome to Learn By Destroying(tm).

Santa Cruz CA 95060 AE6KS 831-336-2558

Lance

Jerr thought carefully and wrote on 9/12/2004 10:27 AM:

> The wired portion still works. I did do the hard reset. Still does not
> work. I use netstumbler to see if there is any link nearby, and I
> check with the MAC address on the bottom of the router. Still no
> signal. I had even tried putting it RIGHT next to the WiFi card, and I
> still get no signal from that router.

OK, you've convinced me, sounds like a dead wireless router to me. :)

Lance
*****

jerr0328@gmail.com (Jerr) wrote in news:57b683b5.0409111019.10feb257
@posting.google.com:

> I have a BEFW11S4 v2 and I had left for vacation and unplugged the
> router, the modem, and the computer attached to the router from the
> power. When I came back and plugged everything back in, everything
> worked. I turned my other computer on, and the wireless worked. The
> next day, it didn't. The light showed it on and everything. No
> problem. But I tried on different computers (different cards) and it
> still didnt work. I toggled wireless on/off, reset settings, changed
> the channel, upgraded firmware, EVERYTHING (I'm a tech-support person,
> so I know how to troubleshoot stuff and all). I finally bought a new
> router, but I still want this wireless to work. The router still works
> for the wired portion and all.
>
> I also couldn't figure out how to open it. Any help?
>
> Thanks!

It is dead go get another one. I have had my 11S4 router since mid 2001 and
it's still going strong. I think it's due to it being plugged into a
UPS/AVR system. I got a friend who had an 11S4 v2 for about a year before
his went out recently. He has no UPS/AVR either. I'll see how long the new
one last.

Duane :)