Beginner Build - Fan Questions

Jul 25, 2018
Hello! I have a question about the fan layout in a build I plan to make soon. I am a beginner, am building a budget gaming PC, and have no idea how to properly layout the fans. The case that I am using is a CORSAIR CARBIDE 100R case, which comes included with one 120mm fan on the back, which I assume is exhaust. I am also buying two CORSAIR Air Series AF120 fans, which I planned to mount on the front as intake.

The motherboard I am using only has two case fan headers, so I am buying a splitter cable for the front AF120 fans.

I can share the rest of the build if necessary, but I would like to know if you think this would be good or decent for air flow in the case. Thank you.

Solution
If i were to build this pc, i would put just one intake fan on the front and put the 2nd corsair on the top as exhaust. Double exhaust will keep the cpu area pretty cool, and a single front intake is pretty decent. This is what I exactly mean. Good luck!
CC-9011075-WW-100R_004.png

Pavkata882

Reputable
May 19, 2016
If i were to build this pc, i would put just one intake fan on the front and put the 2nd corsair on the top as exhaust. Double exhaust will keep the cpu area pretty cool, and a single front intake is pretty decent. This is what I exactly mean. Good luck!
CC-9011075-WW-100R_004.png

Solution
Jul 25, 2018

First AF120 in the front, second on the top, and the stock fan on the back? Will using the splitter cable work with the two AF120s? I believe the stock fan is a three-pin.

one thing. If you have more out than intakes you have lower pressure inside case. Dust will build up faster.
If you still can, make sure intake is stronger than others to balance it.
https://www.neweggbusiness.com/smartbuyer/over-easy/pc-cooling-how-to-set-up-computer-case-fans/
"quote"
"Positive v. negative air pressure

Optimal air pressure with a computer case is one of the most discussed and debated topics in computer cooling. In simple terms, a computer case can either have:

Positive pressure – The case fans push more air into the case than then pull out, so there is more air pressure inside of the case.
positive_pressure_diagram
Neutral pressure – Air pressure in the case is equal to air pressure outside of the case. Difficult to attain unless you leave the case open.
neutral_pressure_diagram
Negative pressure – More air is being pulled out of the case than being pushed in, creating a vacuum.
negative_pressure_diagram

To determine pressure, total the CFM of all the intake fans and CFM of all the exhaust fans. If the intake CFM is greater, then you have positive pressure. If exhaust CFM is greater, then you have negative pressure. Neutral would be when intake and exhaust CFM are equal.

In a perfect scenario, you’d have neutral pressure with an enclosed case because no dust would be sucked in. Negative pressure would mean that air is being sucked into your case from all the tiny gaps you can’t control and don’t have filters on, which means less efficient cooling over time. Aim for slightly positive pressure, with slightly higher intake CFM than exhaust CFM. This way, the air that enters your case goes through a filter first.
"