Beginner Build questions

Jun 22, 2018
Hi community!

Not too long ago, I built my first PC and so far, I'm quite content with it (specs for reference below). Air flow is great, my components do not get too hot while playing games (from what I can tell at least) and everything works as expected - so far so good.

Now, the thing is, I'd like to connect two LED strips to the PSU of my PC as my mainboard apparently does not have this functionality. The LED strips I have are connected with a 4 pin header like the fans, and I've got no clue how to go about connecting this to my PSU. I guess I need some kind of controller or something, but what exactly I need, I don't know. Could any of you kind souls out there help me, maybe? :)

Also, I'd love to be able to monitor the CPU and GPU temps, as well as fan speeds while playing video games. Does anyone know of a useful overlay that works with most games? Gigabyte 3D OSD as well as NZXT CAM did not do the trick, unfortunately.

Thanks a lot for your help!

My build specs, for reference:
-Intel i5 7600K
-Gigabyte Z270 Gaming K3
-Gigabyte GTX 1050Ti
-Cooler Master 450W PSU

Jun 22, 2018

Thanks! I'll try Afterburner, then.
As far as CPU Fan speed goes...Well, it'd be a nice addition, but the temps are the things I really want to track while playing, so I guess it'll do :)

Any Controller you'd suggest off the top of your head? :)

I'm not a controller expert....but I have one. Basically it plugs into the PSU....and the strips plug into the controller. It's a super easy setup....as there's no software involved because it's not being controlled by the MB.

What I'd suggest is just google around and look for something that's compatible with your strips. I'm not sure if all strips are compatible with all controllers or what. Maybe someone can answer that.

Also....I think HWMonitor will monitor CPU fan speed.....but Afterburner is nice....especially if you game because you can put an overlay on the game when you're gaming.