Beginner Help: cloning current OS to a new SSD and changing the default boot drive

khewes

Prominent
Oct 15, 2017
good morning!

first let me say THANK YOU to the tom's hardware community -- anytime i type a computer-related question into google, tom's is always the first hit and almost always has the answer i need. i decided to post a new thread this time (even though there are probably dozens asking the same question), because i could really use some super super super novice help in setting up a new SSD. here's what's going on...

i'm using a new HP laptop with a 32GB hard drive. i purchased a 240GB SSD and have installed it successfully (installed = physical installation of the hardware - i have not done any formatting or anything like that).

i have downloaded EaseUS Backup/Cloning software, but have not created any clones yet - absolutely willing to use any other (free) software someone would recommend for the cloning process.

my goal is to clone everything on the original 32GB hard drive onto the new SSD and use that SSD as my primary storage and boot drive. i would then like to remove everything from the original hard drive and just use that as another storage device (music, photos, etc).

i've found several guides on how to do this (here on tom's and on other sites) and have familiarized myself on the general process, but they always seem to assume the reader has even the slightest clue what they're doing. if someone is able to walk me through the easiest way to complete my task, it would make me feel so much more comfortable.

i have my current system backed up in case there is nothing but chaos.

thank you in advance!!!

Solution

If the original 32GB drive is NOT removable, it is a bit more difficult
But....try this: (Adjust for being a laptop)
-----------------------------
Verify the actual used space on the current drive is significantly below the size of the new SSD
Download and install Macrium...
32gb sized hard drive seems strange. Possibly, you mean 320gb??

If your new ssd is Samsung, the conversion is easy. Use the Samsung ssd migration aid to move your current windows to the new Samsung ssd.
Change the boot order and you are done.

I am not familiar with the cloning software you listed.

khewes

Prominent
Oct 15, 2017
yeah, it's a small 32gb on the laptop.. they're pushing microsoft's cloud software, which i'm not entirely interested in using.

the SSD is a Kingston, and there is no migration software included

USAFRet

Titan

Is that Kingston removable?

khewes

Prominent
Oct 15, 2017

to be honest i'm not sure - i did not check when i had the computer open to install the new drive. i'm at work now and will not be able to check until later tonight.

to answer your second question, the kingston SSD is removeable - that's the new drive i put in there this morning. by no means permanent.

USAFRet

Titan

If the original 32GB drive is NOT removable, it is a bit more difficult
But....try this: (Adjust for being a laptop)
Verify the actual used space on the current drive is significantly below the size of the new SSD
Download and install Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration, if a Samsung SSD)
Power off
Disconnect ALL drives except the current C and the new SSD
Power up
Run the Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration)
Select ALL the partitions on the existing C drive
Click the 'Clone' button
Wait until it is done
When it finishes, power off
Disconnect ALL drives except for the new SSD
Swap the SATA cables around so that the new drive is connected to the same SATA port as the old drive
Power up, and verify the BIOS boot order
If good, continue the power up

It should boot from the new drive, just like the old drive.
Maybe reboot a time or two, just to make sure.

If it works, and it should, all is good.

Later, reconnect the old drive and wipe as necessary.
Delete the original boot partitions, here:
https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/4f1b84ac-b193-40e3-943a-f45d52e23685/cant-delete-extra-healthy-recovery-partitions-and-healthy-efi-system-partition?forum=w8itproinstall

The primary issue is that you have to allow the system to boot up from the NEW drive as the very first thing after the clone operation.
If that 32GB can't be removed or disconnected, problems may arise.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS