[SOLVED] Beginner. I7 8700k. 4.7ghz all core, everything else on auto. Ok?

Oct 28, 2018
I just built my first pc.
I have
-ASUS ROG Strix Z390-e
-I7 8700k
-32gb tridentZ RGB 3200mhz ram
-Coolermaster ma620p dual tower dual fan air cooler (massive)
-850watt 80+gold Thermaltake PSU
-ASUS gtx 1060 6gb
-phanteks Enthoo pro case
-2x 250gb Samsung 970 evo m.2 ssd in raid 0 for boot drive
-1x 500gb 850ev0 ssd
-1x 6tb toshiba hdd

And what I did was
-enable XMP_II
-Set whatever it is to sync all cores
-And set the multiplier to 47

I left everything else on auto because I have no idea what I’m doing and want to keep it safe and long lasting.

My questions are:
Are these settings/ this configuration safe?

Especially regarding the voltage being on auto?

Will auto voltage give more voltage than I actually need and if so is that safe anyway?

What tests should I run to see if they are safe?

(During normal use I have not seen any core on the cpu go above 63 degrees C)
I have not really looked at anything else...

what should I be looking at?
Or is this scenario just a set it and forget it type deal because I only went to 4.7ghz and my temps are fine?

Sorry if these are stupid ?’s This is my first time doing anything like this.

Solution
the xmp profile is adjusting your vccio for the ram to run at 3200mhz. vccio isn't generally something you need to worry about or manually adjust, or if anything, lower it if you really want to until you are unstable. your vccio is fine, software voltage monitoring isn't perfect, im sure in reality it is running at 1.30v. if you are not having stablity issues or any excessive heat from i wouldn't worry about it.

just checked my hwinfo64, my 8700k@5.0ghz delided with 16gb@3200mhz@cas16 shows a vccio of exactly 1.344v. it has been running fine for over a year now.
Technically that is an overclock since your putting all cores to 4.7ghz. It's fine however. I'd recommend setting the multiplier to auto, so your using stock voltage and the motherboard doesn't put too much voltage into the CPU for no reason.

Then, stress test with ROG RealBench for about 8-10 hours to insure that all cores can run at 4.7ghz fine.

Andy11466

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2013

No. Any sort of overclock with AUTO voltage is never a good idea. The more control you have the better.
After you apply a 47 Multiplier for the 4.7, you need to manually set the Voltage. I never recommend going over 1.35 to achieve a reliable machine. These cpus can handle up to 1.45 though.

After you have set a Voltage and CPU Multiplier speed. you need to disable Multi Core Enhancement.

Disable CPU SVID Support, You'll find these in your bios when looking around.

Also Disable Intel's Speedstep.

after you set everything up, make sure you stress test your cpu to see if it is stable under load, and you have enough sufficient cooling.

I use CPU-Z and HWInfo to monitor my temps and info.

Typically you want to be under 85c and never over 90c.
I try to never be above 80, under personal preference.

If it's always too hot but it is stable, lower the voltage until it meets your needs in temps.
If it starts crashing during CPU stress tests after lower voltage, then lower your clock speeds. just adjust these numbers in increments until it becomes stable and meets your temp expectations.

You can stress test your CPU with Prime95 in SMALL FFT. Make sure you download version 26.6 because everything after that uses AVX coding, and will push your CPU past manual set voltages, and may damage your CPU.

The auto settings on the ASUS boards are not too bad especially at the low 4.7GHz setting that you have set along with XMP. Bottom line and as Andy11466 has said, do a quick test with Prime95 version 26.6...the 'blend test' and see what your temps are hitting at max load. The small FFT' test is beyond normal and I would only use that if you are a proper overclocker as you will not ever stress your PC to that level nor will this be an issue at 4.7GHz.

Run Hardware Info at the same time which will show you the temps live and will also show you the vcore which is the voltage but to make that easy download and run CPU-Z which will show you the vcore in a much easier format if you want as Hardware Info can be a bit overwhelming for someone new....

If you are below 80 degrees C and better yet in the 70's degrees with a vcore that is under 1.3v you are absolutely fine. Interestingly the new Asus Motherboards have a AI overclocking function that is supposed to be very good. I would explore this further though a manual overclock is always better...

Oct 28, 2018
Thanks for the help guys. I will check these settings out tomorrow when I get home from work. I do run hw monitor and I’ve noticed with it on auto that my highest voltages are 1.315 and my highest temp on any single core was 63 C.
Although I have never stress tested it just tried to do a lot of things at once like more than I would ever normally do. But thanks so much for the tips. I will def check these setting out as soon as I can

Oct 28, 2018
So these are my voltages after running my computer for a few days the way I normally would

As I said earlier I have only changed 2-3 things in the bios
I enabled “sync all cores”, I enabled the XMP2 profile and I believe I selected no to the prompt that comes up after that but I’m not sure
I set the multiplier to 47
And I left everything else auto

I haven’t had a chance to go back in and change any of the settings mentioned above so it’s still set like that

Here is a pic of hwmonitor

I noticed that my vccio voltage seems high to what other ppl say they can run at. 1.328min and 1.344 max
But I don’t even know what that is for.
I just need some help with what to change. I’m using an ASUS strix z390 with 8700k
If anyone’s familiar with this bios I’d appreciate any help you can give. But I need a very noob-ish explanation and I’d appreciate reasons why I should change things. Or links to other forum with good explainations.
Please see above post for list of all components.
And please tell me if these setting are ok or not okay to just keep running

2mh66wo.png

You are getting there...the vcore is not too bad at 1.305v which with some more tinkering should be able to get it down to 1.26v or 1.27v at 4.7GHz...but that will require you learning to manually overclock...

You are well within the safe margin on vcore and temps, so no issues there at all...I use a Gigabyte Z370 gaming 7 motherboard so my BIOS is different but you should be able to find settings online to give you a base to start from on your overclocking journey...

i see 1.270v peak at a paltry 50c max temp. what are you using to load up your cores? are you using prime95 v26.6?

my 8700k@5.0ghz@1.370v will peak at about 80c with 68f ambient in prime95. for regular use it is in the 72-77c range depending on how hot it gets in the house... 65-85f. no issues here. if you really are peaking at 50c, you have a lot more headroom to go.

i would start with manually moving your vcore down until you are stable. if i remember correctly... my 8700k was stable at 47x locked at 1.20v, 48x@1.25, 49x@1.30, 50x@1.37. i tried 51x@1.42 but it wasn't stable, temps were too high, and i wasn't brave enough to go further.

Oct 28, 2018
I haven’t done anything to load it up really. I’m very new to this. I was just concerned that my vccio and system agent seem higher than most ppl. I didn’t want to do anything to put load on cpu until I am sure those numbers are ok to use. I have it set on auto. I am using 32gb of 3200mhz tridentZ. Is that why my vccio is higher? Also is cinnabench something I can use to put load on cpu or should
I download prime 95? I see a lot of ppl posting vccio voltages much lower than mine. But with auto settings thats what I’m getting (1.328 to 1.344 vccio) seems much higher than other ppl’s. I’ve seen videos where ppl say not to set it over 1.2. But I haven’t changed anything other than XMP2 profile and Sync all cores to 47.

Oct 28, 2018
So when I set everything back to complete stock my vccio is like 0.976

Then from complete stock I turned on ASUS multicore enhancement. Left everything else on auto except changing my memory from 2133mhz to 3200mhz. and with everything still on auto. My vccio goes right back up to 1.344. If I try to lower it below 1.3. System won’t boot, endlessly cycles, and I have to hold power button for 6 seconds to get back to bios.
Why can’t I run my memory at correct 3200mhz without my vccio running at 1.344v. Even if i lower it manually. Anything below 1.3 won’t boot. And even at 1.3 it still shows 1.344 in hwinfo and hwmonitor. What gives. Can my memory just not run at a lower voltage? Is it because it’s 4dimms of RGB memory? Could the rgb be requiring higher voltage? No matter what I try I just can’t boot or even enter uefi with vccio under 1.3000v. Any suggestions. Am I doing something wrong??? It seems way high. But in xmp1 xmp2 it’s always 1.344v. With everything auto and ram set to 3200. Still 1.344v readings in all monitoring software. WHYYYYY? And if it’s ok like that than can i just leave it? Bcuz I don’t see any other options. It just won’t run below 1.344v.

Would changing the boot vccio setting help this problem? That’s all I can think of but I don’t really know what that even does.

the xmp profile is adjusting your vccio for the ram to run at 3200mhz. vccio isn't generally something you need to worry about or manually adjust, or if anything, lower it if you really want to until you are unstable. your vccio is fine, software voltage monitoring isn't perfect, im sure in reality it is running at 1.30v. if you are not having stablity issues or any excessive heat from i wouldn't worry about it.

just checked my hwinfo64, my 8700k@5.0ghz delided with 16gb@3200mhz@cas16 shows a vccio of exactly 1.344v. it has been running fine for over a year now.

Solution

goku15

Reputable
Mar 24, 2019
Are you guys running manual mode for everyday use?
I just enabled XMP in bios and thats it. Manually overclocking ram requires quite some knowledge and tinkering. Plus the gains are very small.
Dont worry about your vccio voltage being at 1.344v . I have it the same as does many people. Its normal and not excessive. XMP simply "overclocks" your ram stick. Its a factory setting and its ok. Just enjoy you rig mate 🆒