[SOLVED] (Beginner) New PSU upgrading from 750 to 1050 ti on oldish tower

Sep 8, 2021
my PC:

CPU: intel i7-6700 3.4GHz
16 GB ram
GPU: GTX 750
PSU: some 250 W one that came with the tower (https://www.newegg.com/global/au-en/lenovo-ideacentre-300-20ish/p/N82E16883795345)

motherboard: SDK0J40709 WIN
I can run most games suprisingly well but I want an upgrade. I figured the GPU is easiest to do, so I'd start with it.

Is it worth upgrading the GPU and PSU?

I'm looking at getting a 1050ti secondhand and I'm assuming I'll have to buy a new PSU to run it.

Is it easy for a beginner to replace a PSU?

if so, will any $50 PSU be good enough?

any help would be appreciated.

Solution
this psu has a 8pin(6+2) pin conectors for the gpu, and yes it will definitly attach to your gpu because the gtx 1050 ti only need a 6pin conector.
Btw there are gtx 1050 ti that doesnt need a 6 pin conector.

Giant Hunger

Respectable
Jun 23, 2021
Use a psu calculator
After i put the specs on the psu calculator it said your recommended psu wattage is 236 watts.
But companies recommended that the gtx 1050 ti will need a 300-350 watts psu, so make sure you buy a 300 or 350 watt psu that has a reputational brand like antec, thermaltake, evga... dont buy one of those cheap chinese psu, it could possibly kill your whole system.

Sep 8, 2021
Use a psu calculator
After i put the specs on the psu calculator it said your recommended psu wattage is 236 watts.
But companies recommended that the gtx 1050 ti will need a 300-350 watts psu, so make sure you buy a 300 or 350 watt psu that has a reputational brand like antec, thermaltake, evga... dont buy one of those cheap chinese psu, it could possibly kill your whole system.

https://www.mwave.com.au/product/thermaltake-litepower-gen-2-450w-power-supply-ab80118
are the pin connections for these things universal?
If I buy it do I at least know It will attach to the motherboard, GPU etc? (it connects to the GPU, right?)

Giant Hunger

Respectable
Jun 23, 2021
this psu has a 8pin(6+2) pin conectors for the gpu, and yes it will definitly attach to your gpu because the gtx 1050 ti only need a 6pin conector.
Btw there are gtx 1050 ti that doesnt need a 6 pin conector.

Solution

Muamar Falujah

Reputable
Jun 2, 2020
get an Antec VP500P v2 or FSP HV Pro 550 V2, they cost like 50~USD, and theyre pretty solid too, has 6+2 x 2 Pin for GPU and use japanese made capacitor, i use the Antec VP for my rig, running well with RX 570 and GTX 970

I can run most games suprisingly well but I want an upgrade. I figured the GPU is easiest to do, so I'd start with it.

Is it worth upgrading the GPU and PSU?

I'm looking at getting a 1050ti secondhand and I'm assuming I'll have to buy a new PSU to run it.
How much does the secondhand card cost? It's probably worth pointing out that there's an extreme shortage of graphics cards that's been going on since early this year, resulting in abnormally high prices even for used cards at the moment, with them often costing more than what they sold for brand new years prior. So it's not exactly the best time to be buying a graphics card if you don't feel you absolutely need one, unless you happen to somehow find one at a reasonable price.

The 1050 Ti first came out almost 5 years ago, with prices starting around US $150 at the time (and going up to maybe around $170 or so for models with better coolers). But if you look on eBay, for example, they are selling for over $200 used right now, and won't have any warranty covering them, whereas new cards typically come with 2-3 years of warranty coverage to replace them should they fail during that period. On sites like eBay, you also have to be careful that you are getting a name-brand card, and not some counterfeit knockoff that's actually a rebadged older and slower card.

Prior to this current shortage, one could get a brand new 1650 SUPER for less than $200, a card that can be nearly twice as fast as a 1050 Ti. So, while a 1050 Ti might be a reasonable upgrade over a 750, just be aware that it might not be a particularly good value right now. And it may not be until sometime next year that graphics card prices recover to where they were before.

One other thing, if you do decide to get a card, and are replacing the power supply anyway, there's no reason to limit yourself to a 1050 Ti. Its relatively low power draw under load makes it suitable for use with the 300 watt PSUs that come with many prebuilt systems, which is its main selling point, though your 250 watt unit might be cutting things a bit close with it. Your existing PSU might potentially manage to run stable with that card (which draws somewhere around 20 watts more than your existing card), but it also might result in instability, so as you said, replacing the PSU would probably be a good idea. But if you are going to do that, and put something like a 500 watt PSU in there, then there are better value options on the used market than a 1050 Ti.

The GTX 970, for example, is actually somewhat more reasonably priced at the moment. They can often be found on eBay for around US $200, or in some cases a little less, while providing up to 40-50% more performance than a 1050 Ti. The 970 might not be quite on par with the cards you could buy new in that price range last year, but it's not too far behind either. It does draw more power under load than a 1050 Ti, being a little older and a higher tier card, but just about any semi-decent 500+ watt PSU with PCIe power connectors should be able to handle it. If you're not going to be limited by the system's PSU, it's probably a better option for the money.

Sep 8, 2021
How much does the secondhand card cost? It's probably worth pointing out that there's an extreme shortage of graphics cards that's been going on since early this year, resulting in abnormally high prices even for used cards at the moment, with them often costing more than what they sold for brand new years prior. So it's not exactly the best time to be buying a graphics card if you don't feel you absolutely need one, unless you happen to somehow find one at a reasonable price.

The 1050 Ti first came out almost 5 years ago, with prices starting around US $150 at the time (and going up to maybe around $170 or so for models with better coolers). But if you look on eBay, for example, they are selling for over $200 used right now, and won't have any warranty covering them, whereas new cards typically come with 2-3 years of warranty coverage to replace them should they fail during that period. On sites like eBay, you also have to be careful that you are getting a name-brand card, and not some counterfeit knockoff that's actually a rebadged older and slower card.

Prior to this current shortage, one could get a brand new 1650 SUPER for less than $200, a card that can be nearly twice as fast as a 1050 Ti. So, while a 1050 Ti might be a reasonable upgrade over a 750, just be aware that it might not be a particularly good value right now. And it may not be until sometime next year that graphics card prices recover to where they were before.

thanks, I'll keep it in mind. I would be looking at spending around 270 aud (200 usd) on a card and another 60 aud (40-something usd) on the new PSU

I'm not commited to a 1050 ti, and I have seen 1060's or even 1650's pop up for the same price; but they get snatched up pretty quickly.
I'll just keep looking around. Thanks so much for the advice!

Sep 8, 2021
Can you post a link to a picture of the chart on the side of your PSU? If this is a competent basic OEM PSU, it may be better than some of the very low-quality PSU talked about in this thread (Thermaltake Litepower, Antec VP) for a 1050 Ti.
This is it.
https://www.pchub.com/huntkey-hk350...ly-250w-hk350-12pp-54y8934-sp50a36170-p159390
The GPU's that are most abundant in Australia in my price range seem to be 780 and 780 ti, 980 and 960. Are these good cards? based on the becnhmarks they seem to be on par or better than the 1050 ti.
would they work with a cheap psu or my current one?
Thanks

Sep 8, 2021
You don’t really want the 700 series as they’ve cut driver support. The 960, maybe is in the neighborhood of a 1050. The 980 is the best of those cards, but cheap power supplies are a no no.
Sorry I don't really know these things, what does "no driver support" entail?
Does no driver support mean that one day the card will just stop working? . if not, I'm happy enough with the nvidia software I have on my 750, I can optimise most of the games I play to run at 144 fps.

idk I'm tempted to just buy a 780 ti but maybe I'm just blinded by seeing the +200% effective speed.

DSzymborski

Titan
No driver support means that they aren’t doing any optimizations etc for games. For example if you get a game that doesn’t run right on the card or that say there are graphical issues, don’t count on those things being fixed. It’s not like your card won’t work, but your card would decline sooner in just general usability.

But on power supplies, you don’t want to cheap out. Cheap power supplies can go out and take out your pc.