Question Beginner overclocker

sampson0693

Honorable
Sep 20, 2014
I have been running prime95 for 18 minutes now and my CPU temps have not increased above 54degC.

I have 9600K with the Corsair H100i platinum AIO cooler running on a ASUS Z390m-Pro gaming motherboard.

Having had a look around at other temperatures people have been getting mine look to be quite healthy and low. Does this mean that I will get a good overclock or is it not really related at all?

I am not struggling to run games or perform any tasks I just enjoy tinkering and bought the K version to give it a go.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
There's more to overclocking that strictly temperature - and you should see you temperatures raise a little more over time, as the liquid is heatsoaked.

Even so, 54'C is a great starting point !!

To increase your clocks, you will have to increase voltage at some point - with Intel, likely from the outset.
Additional voltage = additional heat. That's where most people will find their first barrier, as the cooling solution has to be adequate for the additional generated heat.

Then ,there's a generally observed upper limit in terms of voltage for the health of your CPU, iMC and VRM - for a 9600K, that's typically accepted to be 1.35-1.4V (ideally less). That's not to say you can't get your OC stable at 1.45V (for example), provided temperatures are under control -- but you may be reducing the lifespan of various aspects by doing so.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
OC theory is all the same, doesn't matter if it's on asus or Msi or Gigabyte motherboard, the Theory is the same, only the names change.

Having said that, the absolute best thing now you can do is read. Research everything on OC, paying particular attention to your motherboard and cpu. Asus ROG forums is packed full of overclocking tricks, tweaks, general info regarding the asus boards and 9th gen cpu. It all applies, just don't get held up on specifics as your cpu and setup isn't theirs. It's the general knowledge you are after, what does things, for what results, what worked, what didn't etc.

That includes other sites, here, Anandtech, Overclockers etc. Even youtube (take with a grain of salt).

And when you think you have a decent grasp on LLC, limits, PLL and ring voltages, as well as VID and vcore differences, go back and read it all again to be sure.

Ideally, for best speeds under OC, you'll be looking at Prime95 small fft (AVX/2 disabled!) temps @ 70°C and gaming @ 55°C. If you are under those temps, you might still have some room left or you may not after hitting cpu voltage limits, but currently your temps are great.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
With that aio on a half-pint i5 and stock settings? , I'm not surprised at those temps, but it's probably blend results. Also you really need to run 1/2 hr+ to allow the coolant to get fully heat acclimated to the load, as that can affect overall cpu temps slightly.

Just running stock settings and turbo of 4.3GHz on all cores isn't going to get much more than @ 120w on a 250w+ aio.

Last edited: