[SOLVED] Beginner overclocking on 9700k

Juffbox

Reputable
Apr 4, 2020
Hey all,

I'm new at overclocking and have some questions.

currently, I've set all cores to 4.8 @ 1.25v adaptive and core voltage mode. Processor cache ratio is set to 45x

On cpu-z I'm seeing core voltages spike to as high as 1.38v (although will usually hover between 1.2-1.33). This seems high for a small OC.

I did the OCs with Intel XTU, with 2 stress tests @1 hr and the other at 15 min just to get a feel for things.

Please let me know if I'm doing something wrong or missing out on something. Thanks!

Solution
Adaptive can always be a bit finicky and there usually is a little surge at the beginning. When you run something like Cinebench R20 and use Hardwarenfo to monitor vcore, under load it should be okay and stabilise at the right vcore.

I used to use adaptive but now have gone to fixed as at least here the vcore is properly under control. The CPU still ramps down so overall it never is an issue.
Adaptive can always be a bit finicky and there usually is a little surge at the beginning. When you run something like Cinebench R20 and use Hardwarenfo to monitor vcore, under load it should be okay and stabilise at the right vcore.

I used to use adaptive but now have gone to fixed as at least here the vcore is properly under control. The CPU still ramps down so overall it never is an issue.

Reactions: Juffbox
Solution

Juffbox

Reputable
Apr 4, 2020
Thanks for your reply vMax,

I've since opted for manual vcore settings, starting with 1.3v @5ghz. I guess it was wishful thinking that it would work, and sure enough, didn't post. Going to try 1.35 next.

Reactions: vMax