[SOLVED] Beginner PC build - your thoughts

Aug 10, 2019
Hi,

I want to build my first PC (for gaming) in the 1000-1400 dollar range. The last week I have read the forums and articles here, and I have made a 'draft', primarily based on common picks for gaming purposes within my budget. The games are play are World of Warcraft, Starcraft, Total war series and the like, however if possible I would also like a bit of future proofing as well :). I have little experience or knowledge regarding the selection of components from a technical side, but as mentioned has based my selections on more or less consensus picks here on the forums. I'd greatly appreciate your thoughts on my selection, say on compatibility of components, blatant overkill in certain areas or golden opportunities for better performance with adjustments (my budget is not very firm - but I am going for a budget build, if that makes sense..). Here goes:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-core
Motherboard: MSI B450 Gaming plus ATX AM4 motherboard
Memory: G.skill Ripjaws V series 16 GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200
Storage: Intel 660p series 1.02 TB M.2-2280 NVME SSD
Video card: Nvidia Geforce RTX 2070 Super 8GB video card
Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case
Power supply: Seasonic Focus plus gold 550 W 80+ Gold certified Fully modular ATX power supply

Monitor: AOC 24V2H 23.8" 1920x1080 75Hz Monitor

I live in Denmark, and so amazon UK is likely the place to buy the components. Perhaps a silly question, but are power supplies universal or will I likely need to buy that locally (DK use plug type K). Thanks a lot!

Solution
You have done a good job of selecting parts. I would say the gpu is more than you need for 1080p 75Hz but it should last a long time.

The psu accepts 100v to 240v and 50-60Hz. That is ok for Denmark which I believe from Google is 230v 50Hz.
You have done a good job of selecting parts. I would say the gpu is more than you need for 1080p 75Hz but it should last a long time.

The psu accepts 100v to 240v and 50-60Hz. That is ok for Denmark which I believe from Google is 230v 50Hz.

Solution
Aug 10, 2019
Hi Sizzling,

Thank you for the feedback! You are right about 230V/50Hz (sorry I should have included that).

Perhaps the monitor is a little lackluster? In your opinion, is a little extra for a e.g. 1440p monitor well worth it with this setup? (if the monitor is limiting, I would definitely like to buy something a little better)

Hi Sizzling,

Thank you for the feedback! You are right about 230V/50Hz (sorry I should have included that).

Perhaps the monitor is a little lackluster? In your opinion, is a little extra for a e.g. 1440p monitor well worth it with this setup? (if the monitor is limiting, I would definitely like to buy something a little better)
Yes, I would go 1440p if it is an option. For the games you list I expect you will appreciate the extra detail and you have the gpu power.

Aug 10, 2019
I expect I will. Having a look at various 'best 1440p budget monitor..' I stumbled across this one:

AOC Q3279VWFD8 31.5" Widescreen IPS LED Black Monitor (2560x1440/5ms/VGA/HDMI/DP/DVI)

Its widescreen with the 31.5", but I like the price. Do you think I may be making a mistake with this one?