Question Beginner Question: CPU vs SSD vs RAM

leolb2615

Prominent
Oct 4, 2021
Hello,
I have a quick beginner question: if I have a decent amount of RAM (8GB), a new SSD, but a 11 year old mother/logic board with an Intel Core 2 Duo with 3.06 GHz, would that computer still be able to be fast and usable in 2021?
Thank you!

USAFRet

Titan
Hello,
I have a quick beginner question: if I have a decent amount of RAM (8GB), a new SSD, but a 11 year old mother/logic board with an Intel Core 2 Duo with 3.06 GHz, would that computer still be able to be fast and usable in 2021?
Thank you!
  1. We'd need an actual parts list.
  2. 8GB RAM is not, in 2021, a "decent amount"

But with this....No.
Intel Core 2 Duo

Hello,
Thank you!
Depends on what you want to do with the machine.
For many folks it's about gaming.
I don't think that machine would be good at that.
For basic stuff it should be fine.

leolb2615

Prominent
Oct 4, 2021
Thank you for your replies!
Ok, a little more clarification might be needed. It is an older iMac with those comoponents. my question is: How much does this older CPU hold it back? I would solely use it for work, i.e. Web browsing, email and documents. No gaming or any video editing, ..

kanewolf

Titan
Thank you for your replies!
Ok, a little more clarification might be needed. It is an older iMac with those comoponents. my question is: How much does this older CPU hold it back? I would solely use it for work, i.e. Web browsing, email and documents. No gaming or any video editing, ..
What OS do you plan on using? Mac OS is probably limited to an old version because of the age of the CPU.

leolb2615

Prominent
Oct 4, 2021
So how much is the CPU holding me back here, if I were to compare it with a newer 7th gen i5 or i7? Would multitasking be better in the newer ones, would the system be more snappier?

LeviTech

Commendable
Sep 27, 2021
So how much is the CPU holding me back here, if I were to compare it with a newer 7th gen i5 or i7? Would multitasking be better in the newer ones, would the system be more snappier?
You are trying to compare an 11 years old CPU with a 7gen CPU? That's not fair :)
So much differences, Nm sizes, orders per core, TDP's, turbos, instructions, etc etc etc