Question Beginner streamer... where to begin?

• Thread starter Deleted member 2838871
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 2838871

Hi everyone,

I'm interested in doing some streaming on my PC. At the moment this is more for family and friends to see what I'm doing but not ruling out a YouTube channel down the road. :LOL:

That being said, where do I start? The hardware shouldn't be an issue I have a new 10900k build with 64GB ram and a 3090. What do I need as far as software? Any additional hardware? I have gaming headsets but I see people with mics on their desk so I'm assuming it's for the quality.

Is there a streaming 101 guide out there anywhere?

Thanks in advance!

D

Deleted member 2838871

What are you planning on streaming?
For software, i'd go with OBS, or maybe NVIDIA shadowplay, but idk your gpu is kind on the weaker side so idk how well it would perform ;)

Ok... I'll get back with you after I upgrade my GPU. :LOL::LOL:

Seriously though... most of my gaming right now is Flight Sim 2020. I also play RDR2... have CP2077 but haven't played it yet... just picked up The Medium and Hitman 3 both of which I'm hoping the gameplay is as good as the gorgeous graphics... and I'm considering getting back into WoW when classic BC is launched.

I'm all alone out here on the west coast with all my family back east and this is more about showing them the stuff I do on the PC. Even the job related stuff I'd be interested in streaming if I could... I do a lot of CAD stuff with Solidworks, etc...

OBS or Shadowplay? Ok, I will check those out. Also... I'm not huge into multiplayer but I did use Discord when playing WoW and remember people streaming on that...

For the audio, what headphones do you have?

The headset is the Turtle Beach Stealth 700.

One other question... not that it matters because I have solid hardware but is streaming more demanding on the CPU or GPU? Or equal demanding on both?

Reactions: Dj0gany
Ok... I'll get back with you after I upgrade my GPU. :LOL::LOL:

Seriously though... most of my gaming right now is Flight Sim 2020. I also play RDR2... have CP2077 but haven't played it yet... just picked up The Medium and Hitman 3 both of which I'm hoping the gameplay is as good as the gorgeous graphics... and I'm considering getting back into WoW when classic BC is launched.

I'm all alone out here on the west coast with all my family back east and this is more about showing them the stuff I do on the PC. Even the job related stuff I'd be interested in streaming if I could... I do a lot of CAD stuff with Solidworks, etc...

OBS or Shadowplay? Ok, I will check those out. Also... I'm not huge into multiplayer but I did use Discord when playing WoW and remember people streaming on that...

The headset is the Turtle Beach Stealth 700.

One other question... not that it matters because I have solid hardware but is streaming more demanding on the CPU or GPU? Or equal demanding on both?
"is streaming more demanding on the CPU or GPU?"
Depends on what you use for streaming.
OBS will stress out your CPU more than GPU, but if you use Shadowplay, your GPU is going be used for recording.
You can even use NVENC, since your gpu supports it.

D

Deleted member 2838871

"is streaming more demanding on the CPU or GPU?"
Depends on what you use for streaming.
OBS will stress out your CPU more than GPU, but if you use Shadowplay, your GPU is going be used for recording.
You can even use NVENC, since your gpu supports it.

Thanks for the info. A guy in anther thread told someone else that if they aren't using NVENC they should... so I'll give that a try.

If you were me how would you go about streaming?

Thanks for the info. A guy in anther thread told someone else that if they aren't using NVENC they should... so I'll give that a try.

If you were me how would you go about streaming?
Sry for the late reply, was racing in GTA xD
"If you were me how would you go about streaming? "
Hardware setup or what do to on the first stream and how to start of your carrer?

If you actually want a following it's best to start on youtube or something first, so you have permanent content out there that people can stumble upon.
The worst way to go is to paste the link in game chat of the game your playing. Anytime someone does that when I'm playing league (don't make fun of me, I know, it's a curse) I instantly get annoyed. Self promotion in youtube comments on other peoples videos is another pet peeve of mine.
Make good content, people will watch.
Probably.

If you actually want a following it's best to start on youtube or something first, so you have permanent content out there that people can stumble upon.
The worst way to go is to paste the link in game chat of the game your playing. Anytime someone does that when I'm playing league (don't make fun of me, I know, it's a curse) I instantly get annoyed. Self promotion in youtube comments on other peoples videos is another pet peeve of mine.
Probably.
I agree, youtube is a really good platform to start on and build your community.

D

Deleted member 2838871

Sry for the late reply, was racing in GTA xD
"If you were me how would you go about streaming? "
Hardware setup or what do to on the first stream and how to start of your carrer?

No worries... been busy at work for the last few hours and just got home. I'm assuming the hardware setup is good outside of maybe a better mic? So just wondering how to set up the first stream... getting started with the NVENC ... OBS... basically how do I get something going so I can call Mom and say "hey, look at this." LOL

Probably.

Yeah I hear ya... spamming pages with links isn't something that I'm interested in. I find it annoying too. I'm pretty creative when it comes to quality presentations... I do a lot of editing on the side and had a decent response to my drone videos.

I agree, youtube is a really good platform to start on and build your community.

Yep... I've already got a handful of subs posting my drone videos which I haven't done in a year LOL... I've seen channels grow though. The chess channel I've followed for 4 years since he started just hit 1M subs last week....

D

Deleted member 2838871

This video should help you a ton:

I recommed getting a second monitor, it can be 15 years old or sum like that, but it is really helpful.

Sweet... I'm working late today and tomorrow but should have time Sunday to check this out and do some testing... will follow up. Thanks for the help!

Last edited by a moderator: