News Belarus Pushes 'Homegrown' Horizont H-book Laptop Amid Stiff Sanctions

DavidLejdar

Prominent
Sep 11, 2022
Depends on the definition, doesn't it? E.g. would you consider an iPhone to be American? If going by "made in" of parts and final assembly, then no, but if going by where the HQ of the final product's company is at, then yes?

Or would the definition be about IP specifically? And in that case, would e.g. Rolls-Royce be considered to be German since it is a subsidiary of a "German company"?

And then there is also the question about whether it is not a bit too simple to attribute a nationality to the private market. E.g. Tesla, it is not owned by the U.S., is it? And if Mr Musk becomes a Chinese citizen tomorrow and moves the HQ of Tesla to Mexico and additionally perhaps sells a majority of shares to Saudi Arabia, then "what" would Tesla be?

Depends on the definition, doesn't it? E.g. would you consider an iPhone to be American? If going by "made in" of parts and final assembly, then no, but if going by where the HQ of the final product's company is at, then yes?

Or would the definition be about IP specifically? And in that case, would e.g. Rolls-Royce be considered to be German since it is a subsidiary of a "German company"?

And then there is also the question about whether it is not a bit too simple to attribute a nationality to the private market. E.g. Tesla, it is not owned by the U.S., is it? And if Mr Musk becomes a Chinese citizen tomorrow and moves the HQ of Tesla to Mexico and additionally perhaps sells a majority of shares to Saudi Arabia, then "what" would Tesla be?
It’s just the company, wondering how they got around the sanctions though

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
Well, it's faster than my laptop, which has the same specs, except for being a Skylake i3 with 13" screen.

Then again, I don't do anything very serious with that machine, any more. Neither machine would be great for things like compiling a lot of software.

Jul 18, 2022
Well, it's faster than my laptop, which has the same specs, except for being a Skylake i3 with 13" screen.

Then again, I don't do anything very serious with that machine, any more. Neither machine would be great for things like compiling a lot of software.
I hear you there. My personal laptop is still an old skylake i7. I use it mainly for web browsing so until win10 support ends I don't have a compelling reason to upgrade.

Co BIY

Splendid

I don't think most users "Do anything serious" with their laptops. If by "serious" you mean anything technically challenging for the machine.

Most work done on laptops/tablets/desktops could be done with much less capable hardware. It is the connectivity that really makes these devices useful.

Bazzy 505

Respectable
Jul 17, 2021
Eh, i know it's a slow season for reporting on hardware but .. first elbrus/baikal then this .. there's gotta be something else actually notworthy out there Anton ;)

It's one of the standard ODM designs from Clevo, nothing "belarussian" about it, L141 design variant by the looks of it

Reactions: thisisaname