Belkin Announces New $400 Thunderbolt Dock, $45 Cables

Status
Not open for further replies.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
Oh yeah? Well, $%^ you, Belkin! :D

Damn, I wonder who buys this overpriced... I can't say crap, it's a cool device, but an "average user" won't buy it because it's too much and too complex and a power user doesn't really need it... for nearly the same reasons - 1) price 2) there's an easier way that he already uses.

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
TB device adaptation is slow and that's why the price is high, that's what happens when a new interface is released to only 5% of the world's computers at release (Aka mac's).

hmmmm $400 for this (nd the price of an add in card for me)

or

use a few more of the 14 USB (yes 14!) ports I have, not to mention I already have Gigabit Ethernet, onboard sound, and 4 x USB 3.0 ports

gwwerner

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
At $45 per cable, I suspect there won't be a lot of daisy-chaining going on. At least Apple will have some competition for their $50 cable now.

mt2e

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2011
Thunderbolt straight up does nothing but piss people off who arn't idiots, what a useless copper based product.

3 feet cables at $50 YOUR KIDDING ME....

s3anister

Distinguished
May 18, 2006
You could buy a very nice switch for less than $400 and connect many more computers if the goal is data transfer. I just don't see many applications where thunderbolt is useful, save for external graphics.

$400 for the setup plus $45 for cables? Sorry, Belkin you lost me.

rosen380

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2011
Does it need to be stated that this is primarily for people with Ultrabooks that have very limited space for ports and expandability, not so much for people with standard sized laptops that have a full compliment of ports already...

[citation][nom]hardcore_gamer[/nom]I'm not surprised to see the thunderbolt accessory prices. It's an Apple-Intel invention.[/citation]

It was developed entirely by Intel

Apple only served as an initial deployment partner

d_kuhn

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2002
Thunderbolt cables aren't passive copper connections like the Monster cables you're comparing them to. There are chips embedded in the two ends that enable the crazy transfer rates... short cables can use fine copper connections but longer cables are optical fiber. 10gbps over copper is nothing to sneeze at... if Monster made something like this they'd charge $500 a foot for it probably.

I still think they're too expensive... but at least there's real technology inside them.

kyuuketsuki

Distinguished
May 17, 2011
Thunderbolt is new, requires chipsets embedded in the cable, and Intel is gouging on the licensing. It's not Belkin's fault these are so expensive. Intel needs to drive the costs of this stuff down if they expect Thunderbolt to go anywhere.

G

It seems that thunderbolt taking up the storm. Though they seem very expensive they are really useful device for providing so many uses.

G

Why not use the new HDBaseT standard which promises the same bandwidth over longer range using standard Cat 6 cables?

Status
Not open for further replies.