Belkin Brings Out Two New 802.11ac Routers

Status
Not open for further replies.

dgingeri

Distinguished
After my experiences with Belkin routers, I won't touch another Belkin product ever again. First the router gave out after only 3 months. This happens, I understand that. Contacting support to get a replacement was difficult. Actually getting them to believe it was bad (hanging and requiring a reboot every two hours or so apparently wasn't good enough.) Then they sent it to the wrong address (They apparently delivered it to 7000 instead of 7500) and charged me for it after they didn't get the replacement back. Apparently, a $90 router at Microcenter requires them to charge me $160 for the replacement. Finally, even after confirming the bad address and the immense overcharge, they still wouldn't refund my $160. I disputed the charge through Visa, explaining the matter, and got my money back. They tried to charge me again, so I disputed it again before it officially hit my account.

I will never, ever again buy a Belkin product.

kcorp2003

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
which reminds me, the Spectrum war is at a turning point. we are running out of bandwidth in the air by 2014. And by then google glass will have a hard time finding a spectrum for itself. I wish ABC, NBC and FOX would just give or sell their old air waves rights to other companies who can put good use to it.

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
Adverticle... lots of PR talk and little tech substance.
For example; what would I get for the $20 difference ?

I'll wait until THG (or someone else) does a real review on them !

[citation][nom]kcorp2003[/nom]which reminds me, the Spectrum war is at a turning point. we are running out of bandwidth in the air by 2014. And by then google glass will have a hard time finding a spectrum for itself. I wish ABC, NBC and FOX would just give or sell their old air waves rights to other companies who can put good use to it.[/citation]

Err.... this has to do with belkin AC routers because?????

[citation][nom]freggo[/nom]Adverticle... lots of PR talk and little tech substance.For example; what would I get for the $20 difference ?I'll wait until THG (or someone else) does a real review on them ![/citation]

From looking at the spec page, the only thing i can spot for differences is speed (300Mbps (2.4GHz) + 665Mbps (5GHz)) vs. (300Mbps (2.4GHz) + 867Mbps (5GHz)) :/

kcorp2003

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
[citation][nom]warmon6[/nom]Err.... this has to do with belkin AC routers because?????[/citation]

just throwing out the thought out there for awareness. Since AC is using a signal spectrum too. innovation is the goal here right? You can't thumb me down for that.

nitzero

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2009
I had a faulty Belkin router couple of years ago that would freeze every 10 minutes or so, I didn't care to RMA it, I just bought another one and after about two months it died, I tried contacting their support but couldn't get past their reboot the router procedures. My office's ISP also gave us a Belkin router that's fairly unstable and drops connection often with our tablets and notebooks.

Now I'm a happy owner of an Asus 56U that never froze once in it's life with about 5-7 wireless devices, a lot of p2p, torrent, usenet, gaming, voip. I didn't know finding a good router was so hard, but Belkin never again.

adgjlsfhk

Honorable
Feb 21, 2012
I would rather have a reliable brand than a router with a new (and probably glichy) type of transmission that nothing uses. Most of this comes from the fact that although your router is really fast, no internet is as fast, so the router just has to be reliable, not fast.

awood28211

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2007
I had a 300 MB Belkin router... "Stream HD video" it says. "Media server" it says... Yeah, ok. Even at 30 or less feet away in line of sight I couldn't stream DVD quality video let alone HD at any level. Skips and pauses were constant. Performance through walls was horrible. 1 wall = horrible loss. This one replaced a slower one that was even more horrible. Now I have a 900MB competitor product and I will NEVER EVER buy Belkin again.

G

Achieving 300Mbps at 2.4 GHz is theoretically possible but practically impossible due to the limited channels available and noise in this spectrum. This is a marketing number - don't ever plan on getting rates greater than 150 Mbps at 2.4 GHz.

dgingeri

Distinguished
[citation][nom]jaredebel[/nom]Achieving 300Mbps at 2.4 GHz is theoretically possible but practically impossible due to the limited channels available and noise in this spectrum. This is a marketing number - don't ever plan on getting rates greater than 150 Mbps at 2.4 GHz.[/citation]
I get 271 from my new WD N900, with a dozen other wireless networks in my apartment building. (My stupid work laptop won't connect to the 5GHz channels or I'd be using that.) My tablet, with one antenna, limited to 150Mb, connects at 122Mb.

My old wireless routers/access points never used to get that high. The best I'd get were 72Mb, and it would drop to ~50Mb after a short time. My old Belkin would be lucky to connect at 11Mb.

It really depends on the router. You do get what you pay for. Cheap routers will connect at lower rates. The N900 is expensive ($180) but is well worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS