Belkin/Razer n52te/Nostromo

ed226

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2011
There is another thread concerning this issue, but it was closed. I wanted to add this info/solution as it is still very relevant for anyone using the Belkin/Razer game keypad n52te aka Nostromo. I will include the original post in the old thread and a link to it, for your reference:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/277958-28-belkin-n52te-windows

I got my Belkin n52te in Dec. 2008 and it has always worked perfectly for me on my Windows XP system.

I recently bought a new system which has Windows 7. When I plug in the n52te to my Windows 7 system, it gives an error message, "USB Device Not Recognized. One of the USB devices attached to this computer has malfuntioned, and Windows does not recognize it."

When I plug it back into my old XP system it still works perfectly.

After searching the Belkin Support site, it turns out that Windows 7 is not a supported operating system for the n52te. I called the company and they said they are working on new drivers for Windows 7.

However from searching the internet it seems that the n52te works fine in Windows 7 for many people. Also, many people say that if it works for Vista, that there is no reason for it not to work for Windows 7.

I have the latest drivers (2.1.2) from the Belkin web site. They install fine on the Windows 7 system. I can open the n52te Editor, but it says the device is not plugged in.

I have the latest firmware (1.04) from the Belkin web site I flashed it back when I was using it on my XP system.

I have tried different USB ports on the front and back of my system.

I'm out of ideas, but I've really enjoyed using it for gaming on my old system, and I really want to make it work on my new system. Seeing how others have said theirs works, maybe someone can help me with mine.

Does anyone else have a Belkin n52te that works with Windows 7, and what exactly did you do to make it work?

Ok, I know the thread is old/inactive, but it popped up for me when I googled this problem (which I was also having). I figured there will be a lot of others out there facing this issue at some point and wanted to give a comprehensive and complete answer.

First let me say that I *love* the n52te and without it I am all thumbs, anymore; literally unable to play anything without it. I first bought one about 4 or 5 years ago for WoW, fell in love and never looked back except the one time I had to buy a new one. The stock cable was a little short, so I was always tugging on it and eventually caused it to short out.

When I bought the new one, I also bought a USB extension cord (you can probably see where this is going if you read the posts above). On Vista (with or without the extension) it worked more or less fine (save the having to unplug and replug it on every boot issue). When I upgraded my old (and slower Gateway-phenom x4 9100e) system to Win 7, it still worked - extension cord and all (I did still have to go through the unplug/replug cycle, however).

However, the other day I did a major system upgrade to a phenom x6 1035t, motherboard (which had usb 2.0/3.0 ports) and lots of other goodies. All I really left from the old system was the hard drive so I didn't lose all of my files/info/setup. Everything went without a hitch. My old HDD booted, looked for all the new drivers for everything, found them and all was right in the world.

Except... My (indispensable) n52te was not recognized! I tried installing all the different drivers, firmware and editors with no luck.

After finding this post, I saw the OP said he had an extension cord, too and that was his problem. Grudgingly (truly I had already thought of it, but hated to remove it as the stock cord is so short) I took it out and viola. There was my n52te with the little blue side-light staring me in the face, again.

Mine is a pre-Razer (Belkin) version and the 2.x drivers and editor do not work, but I find the original versions very useful and have no more issues (except for a short cord!).

I hope this helps someone else!

ps- Even if you do not have an extension cord, but have it plugged up to a usb port on the front side of your case, you still may be facing a similar issue. Try plugging it directly to a usb port of the back, directly to the motherboard and see if that helps!

TeddybearGrimm

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2011
Unfortunately this didnt help me. I have the Razer Nostromo, so it's the NEW one. Now, I got it, and first things first, I updated the firmware. I THINK this was the problem. Now it shows up in windows and works as a "WASD" partial, but the driver (configurator) doesnt see it, and closes as soon as i start it. So... I cant use it for its crazy macro abilities, and my games just see it as a controller similar to a keyboard. I just want the configurator to work with it.
Halp?!

ritchiel

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2011

Did you ever get it going . I have the same problem

Rockermtl1988

Honorable
Feb 18, 2012

I just Got a BelKin N52te off a friend who didn't have the cds.I've been searching the Belkin website/razer/N52te for all there drivers and editors i've musta downloaded them all and still nothing . I heard that the Belkin N52te Model has like a 50/50% chance of working on windows 7....

So i reformatted lol installed Windows Xp Sp2 figuring that would solve the problems but no...now i still don't have any control at all on the N52te but in my control panel i notice in the game controllers Razer Nostromo is there and Virtual HID Device .I've tried doing the Calibrate but still no luck buttons and keypad does nothing.

when i load the Razer nostromo editor it closes down right away saying razer not connected ,The Belkin N52te editor stays open but says its not connected..From what Iv'e read on forums and youtube is that you need the original drivers off the cd seems like that is the most efficient way to get it to work it wont be up to date but least working.

I've been looking for 2-3 days cant find the original drivers/editor cd online . was kinda hoping maybe one of you lucky people who got the N52Te with a cd could burn it and email it to me facebook/msn/skype ANYTHING!
lol this damn thing been stressing me out all week i even reformatted and downgraded to win Xp for damn thing lol

Chris-C.lm@hotmail.com <-------0-o<---------hlp me!

lucafett

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2009
I have a N52te (Belkin), which I used to love for FPS and MMO gaming. I havent used it in a while since the first time I updated to Windows 7 I couldnt' get it to work. Windows 7 had just come out, and I expected to find a solution after a little time had gone by, but sadly, I just plugged it in to try it with a new game and find that there is still no solution for my problem:

The problem is as follows:

Method 1: When I plug the device into the usb port (mainboard) it gets recognized and successfully installed, I then install the software and I am able to change the configuration on the profiles, keys and everything, BUT, the device's input is not recognized. Any key I press does nothing, the only buttons that work are the scroll-wheel and the scroll-wheel button to change profiles.

This method has been tried with every available version of the drivers, 1.1 to 2.02 and in-between, aswell as the firmwares, 1.02 and 1.04.

Method 2: I uninstall everything, reboot, install the drivers first, plug in the device AFTER, and still the same symptoms... the device lights up, gets recognized, has comunication with the software as far as flahing and updating the key bindings through "apply changes" all the LED's work properly, but still no input.

Belkin support sucks, I have additionally tried:

Instaling RAZER drivers and firmware, but the device is a BELKIN and accordingly it does not get recognized by the RAZER software. I have tried various registry workarounds suggested online and nothing works. I am thinking of throwing the thing back into the closet for another 2 years, but any help would be appreciated.

It ticks me off that people have said there is a "50/50 chance of the N52te working with windows 7" because, after all, what does that mean? What is the reason? are there "different" types of hardware in this device? Why the randomness?

Thanks for any help btw.

hpbifta

Honorable
Jun 21, 2012
Using a standard Belkin Nostromo n52 and the drivers from the following link I had absoloutely NO probs using my Nostromo with Win 7, just make sure you have the Loadout Manager running to use it properly.

http://en-us-support.belkin.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/478/~/f8gfpc100-nostromo-speedpad-n52---software-and-drivers

here are the same generation drivers for the n52te, i haven't personally tested them but unless your hardware is damaged I see no reason why they shouldn't work.

http://en-us-support.belkin.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2571/kw/nostromo%20speedpad%20n52te

I hope this helps a few people.